Criterion's New Streaming Service

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Garysb, Oct 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Dear friends of Criterion,
    We launched this newsletter more than ten years ago with the promise to keep you up-to-date about new releases and any exciting goings-on around here. Today, we’re writing you personally because we think the launch of FilmStruck and the Criterion Channel is truly a game changer for us, for our fans, and for all people who enjoy great films.
    On October 19, the Criterion Collection and Turner Classic Movies will launch a subscription streaming service built by people who love movies for people who love movies. It will be unlike anything out there, with thematic programming, introductions, special features, and much more. FilmStruck, the primary service, programmed by the team at TCM, will feature a rotating selection of Criterion titles alongside movies licensed from sources around the world. A premium option for FilmStruck subscribers, the Criterion Channel will be our home base in the streaming space, programmed and produced by the Criterion team, where we can take our mission to a whole new level.
    Criterion Channel subscribers will have unlimited access to the largest selection of Criterion titles ever available on a streaming service—all the time. Our own ever-expanding streaming library includes many of the best-known classics in the Criterion Collection, along with hundreds of rare films you won’t find in any other medium, but we’ll also be featuring full Criterion special editions of titles licensed from major studios as well as out-of-print titles and films that have never been available to us on home video. We’ve worked hard to make the Criterion Channel a worthwhile addition for our core Criterion Blu-ray and DVD customers and regular FilmStruck subscribers alike by creating original, channel-exclusive content, director profiles, live events, guest-curated series, and a programming rotation where there will be something new happening just about every night of the week.
    We’ve had a great five years at Hulu, but the opportunity to build our own channel with the help of the incredible team at TCM is a dream come true for our company. FilmStruck will be the exclusive streaming home of the Criterion Collection as of November 11, when our library will be leaving Hulu. The monthly cost of FilmStruck and the Criterion Channel together will be $10.99, but you can sign up for the FilmStruck newsletter to receive a free two-week trial offer when the services go live.
    We have talked (and debated) for years about the best way to bring some sort of subscription plan to our viewers, and with FilmStruck and the Criterion Channel, we believe we’ve finally found it. The first week on the channel, we’re bringing back the out-of-print commentary from The Silence of the Lambs. Catch a double feature on Friday nights. Find a short with a feature on Tuesdays. The possibilities are endless, and we’ve just begun to explore them.
    It’s been thirty-three years since Criterion published its first special edition laserdisc and nearly twenty since the dawn of DVD. The launch of FilmStruck and the Criterion Channel marks another exciting beginning for us. We are as committed as ever to publishing the world’s greatest films in definitive Blu-ray and DVD editions, but we think these new services are going to add a whole new dimension to the Criterion experience, and we hope you’ll give them a try.

PMF likes this.
  2. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, I won't have access when it launches because I use a Roku device for streaming.

3. Cranston37

Cranston37 Stunt Coordinator

Patrick
    Why wouldn't you be able to access it with your Roku?

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I think these Brand specific steamers are priced too high.
    Isn't Warners streaming service $15 a month?

5. RichMurphy

RichMurphy Stunt Coordinator

Rich
    Because the site's FAQ says it will not be available at launch, but will be "coming soon":

FilmStruck is available online, on mobile devices, and select TV platforms including the following, with additional platforms and devices coming in the future.
    • Desktop
    • Android Handsets and Tablets (OS versions 4.4 and higher)
    • iPhones and iPad (OS versions 9.0 and higher)
    • Amazon Fire TV (OS versions 5.0 and higher)
    • Apple TV 4th Generation - FilmStruck will be available on Apple TV in November 2016
    • Coming Soon: Chromecast and Roku

6. 6 Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Cranston37

Patrick
    Didn't see that he said "at launch"

A couple pricing tiers the article doesn't mention -

FilmStruck without Criterion titles is $6.99/month

FilmStruck+Criterion also has a $99/year plan.

7. Cranston37

Patrick
    It starts at $6.99 - that's a pretty good value (to me at least)...

One thing I always tell people too is that with these monthly subscription services, you don't have to STAY subscribed month after month.

For instance I have Sling TV, then add a different streaming service to it every month. One month HBO, the next month Netflix, the next FilmStruck, etc.

Goldie and DavidJ like this.
  8. DennisBassi

DennisBassi Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    I have Hulu now with all of the Criterion titles, so I am upset by this turn of events. I simply am not going to subscribe to a multitude of different channels to get the content I want. Hulu and Netflix were perfect. I suppose I will drop Hulu and go with Filmstruck + Criterion, but really wish I did not have to make the change.

9. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Here is the press release for FilmStruck:

Turner to Launch New Streaming Movie Service: FilmStruck
    Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and the Criterion Collection Collaborate to Develop
    Turner's First Domestic Direct-To-Consumer Streaming Product, Launching in Fall 2016

Global media company Turner is launching the company’s first direct-to-consumer product in the U.S. called FilmStruck. This brand new subscription video on-demand service for film aficionados, developed and managed by Turner Classic Movies (TCM) in collaboration with the Criterion Collection, will feature a comprehensive and constantly refreshed library of films comprised of an eclectic mix of contemporary and classic art house, indie, foreign and cult films. FilmStruck will also be the new exclusive streaming home for the critically acclaimed and award-winning Criterion Collection, which will include the Criterion Channel, a new premium service programmed and curated by the Criterion team. FilmStruck will allow viewers to watch movies anywhere and anytime on the device of their choice, in a completely ad-free environment, and is slated to launch in fall 2016.

FilmStruck’s impressive library will feature a deep roster of films from such celebrated indie studios as Janus Films, Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone and Zeitgeist, along with movies from Hollywood's major movie studios including Warner Bros. Among the hundreds of critically acclaimed and award-winning titles to be featured on FilmStruck are Seven Samurai, A Hard Day's Night, A Room With A View, Blood Simple, My Life As A Dog, Mad Max, Breaker Morant and The Player.

FilmStruck is the latest move in Turner's overall strategy to innovate beyond the traditional television ecosystem by providing rich viewing experiences that drive engagement across all platforms. Today's news follows a string of groundbreaking announcements for the company, such as the formation of ELEAGUE, Turner's new eSports league created in partnership with WME | IMG and set to launch this summer; Turner's recent investment in Mashable, which includes access to both content and valuable consumer data; Turner and CBS's wide-ranging, multiplatform contract extension for the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship; and the launch of CNN's Great Big Story, which combines video storytelling custom-built for social distribution with integrated advertising.

"At Turner, we are dedicated to engaging fans wherever they are, and we're investing aggressively in content, new capabilities and new businesses to achieve that goal," said John Martin, chairman and CEO of Turner. "FilmStruck is a terrific example of our strategy to meet consumer demand for great content across all screens. It's tailor-made for the diehard movie enthusiast who craves a deep, intimate experience with independent, foreign, and art house films. And it takes advantage of TCM's powerful curation capabilities, as well as its proven track record in building a long-term relationship with passionate film fans."

"TCM is leading Turner's strategic move into the direct-to-consumer business with a truly differentiated and distinct streaming product that adds tremendous value to our portfolio," said Coleman Breland, president of TCM and Turner Content Distribution. “Together with our partners at the Criterion Collection, we are creating a must-have, premium film brand that will draw from the most celebrated movie libraries in the world."

“Criterion is teaming up with TCM to launch an arthouse film lovers' dream streaming service,” said Peter Becker, president of the Criterion Collection. “Working with TCM's programming team, we'll present a broad, constantly changing cross-section of Criterion titles on FilmStruck, a platform designed from the start to present films with the kind of robust supplemental features that Criterion is known for. The addition of the premium Criterion Channel will offer subscribers the most comprehensive Criterion experience ever available anywhere, including a steady stream of exclusive original content and archival discoveries, plus continual access to more than 1,000 films from the Janus Films library, many unavailable on disc or anywhere else. We’re very excited to be joining forces with TCM to make FilmStruck the streaming service serious movie fans have been waiting for.”

- See more at: http://www.turner.com/pressroom/turner-launch-new-streaming-movie-service-filmstruck#sthash.0P1KoNIm.dpuf

10. revgen

revgen Supporting Actor

Dan
    No offense to those who like Hulu, but 720p resolution and 2 channel stereo is passe.

I'm not exactly sure what Filmstruck's streaming quality will be, but if it's anything like Netflix (1080p resolution, 6 channel stereo, decent bitrates), then it's an upgrade for Criterion.

11. 11 Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Cranston37

Patrick
    It's 1080p

It's also the first subscription service to offer bonus content.

PMF likes this.
  12. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    These are films we're talking about. I don't want to watch them on my computer or my phone. I want to watch them on my 60" plasma... y'now, because again, they're cinematic FILMS, not YouTube videos. So color me disappointed that I have to wait until this eventually becomes available on my Roku.

13. 13 Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Cranston37

Patrick
    Roku is the most popular streaming box out there - you shouldn't have to wait long. Even the Apple TV won't have support until a month after it launches...

14. Cranston37

Patrick
    FilmStruck delayed until November...

15. 15 Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Cranston37

Patrick
    FilmStruck has officially launched

On Amazon Fire TV now

Apple TV in December

Roku in January

XBox/PS mid 2017

16. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    The bulk of Criterion's catalog isn't in stereo in the first place so no use complaining about surround.

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

Filmstuck indeed.

I doubt I'll be subscribing to this.
    Too many different services now and something has to get left out.

18. 18 Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Cranston37

Patrick
    I pick a different service to subscribe to every month. That way you get to experience everything without paying for what you aren't currently watching.

I look at it like being at a restaurant - I know I can only eat one meal at a time but I'm also not going to pick 3-4 things and say I will only ever eat those...

19. Race Bannon

Race Bannon Supporting Actor

Jay
    I'm not as interested because TCM split its catalog -- this will have the more indie, cult, and foreign collection of TCM. They are leaving the more classic Hollywood stuff in the regular TCM-branded streaming product.

I fear that they have marketed based on old-timers versus non-old-timers . . . . . and sadly, I am in the old-timers group. I feel like Frodo riding off in that boat in the end.

skylark68 likes this.
  20. skylark68

skylark68 Stunt Coordinator

Timothy
    I don't consider myself an "old timer" but I agree, I'm more in the "old-timer" group as Race Bannon mentioned.