What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: All That Money Can Buy (1941) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
mRuD6vs1cApB7UUpAO3KBn0Bi0j7mr_original.jpg
Jabez Stone is a hardworking farmer trying to make an honest living, but a streak of bad luck tempts him to do the unthinkable: bargain with the devil himself. In exchange for seven years of good fortune, Stone promises “Mr. Scratch” his soul. But when the troubled farmer begins to realize the error of his choice, he enlists the aid of the one man who might save him: the legendary orator and politician Daniel Webster. Directed with stylish flair by William Dieterle, All That Money Can Buy brings the classic short story by Stephen Vincent Benét to life with inspired visuals, an unforgettable, Oscar-winning score by Bernard Herrmann, and a truly diabolical performance from Walter Huston as the devil.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 106 minutes
  • Black & White
  • 1.37:1
  • English
  • Spine #214

BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
    • Audio commentary by film historian Bruce Eder and Steven C. Smith, biographer of composer Bernard Herrmann
    • New restoration demonstration
    • Reading by actor Alec Baldwin of the short story by Stephen Vincent Benét on which the film is based
    • Episode of the Criterion Channel series Observations on Film Art about the film’s editing
    • Comparison of the differences between the July 1941 preview version of the film, Here Is a Man, and the film’s 1943 rerelease as The Devil and Daniel Webster
    • The Columbia Workshop’s radio adaptations of Benét’s short stories “The Devil and Daniel Webster” and “Daniel Webster and the Sea Serpent,” both featuring music by Herrmann
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by author Tom Piazza and a 1941 article by Benét

Illustration by Thomas Ott

March 12, 2024

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Damn it, fooled me again.

(I always fail to immediately recognize this or any other title except The Devil and Daniel Webster.)

Anyway, great news. I watched the Criterion DVD recently, and I really hope to see and hear a HUGE difference in quality.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There IS a huge difference. New restoration from Scott MacQueen and UCLA. It's a beautiful disc!

What becomes evident, especially with far better audio is that the RKO studio style added quite a bit to Kane and Ambersons.

Into The Archives

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jayson
There IS a huge difference. New restoration from Scott MacQueen and UCLA. It's a beautiful disc!

What becomes evident, especially with far better audio is that the RKO studio style added quite a bit to Kane and Ambersons.
I second this! A beautiful restoration that I caught at MoMA in January, and it never looked or sounded better!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Of course they announce this. After waiting a few years, this last BN sale I purchased the DVD.
Yes, I'll be purchasing this release as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I've been waiting on this release ever since I heard of MacQueen's restoration. I hope one day we his restoration of "The Red House" on Blu-ray.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Damn it, fooled me again.

(I always fail to immediately recognize this or any other title except The Devil and Daniel Webster.)

Anyway, great news. I watched the Criterion DVD recently, and I really hope to see and hear a HUGE difference in quality.
I just got tired of not having this title in my collection & it being only on dvd, so i bought, and NOW!!! Now I hear Whitesnake in my mind "Here I go again" ~ Double dipping it better be immaculate , lol!!!

Reactions: PMF

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I like the woodcut style cover art (though I still like the color art on the DVD), even though it isn't that of the master, Fritz Eichenberg. (I was just reminded a while ago that I have an edition of the original story illustrated by him.)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Mr. Harris, what exactly do you mean about the RKO style adding to Kane and Ambersons, and how does that relate to this release?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks