What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion's / A Hard Day's Night 4K UHD Mistakes ! (1 Viewer)

DanFan

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
I got this email from Criterion:

Thanks for reaching out and apologies for this disappointing error which affects our recently released A HARD DAY'S NIGHT 4K UHD disc.

We will have replacement discs on hand in March. If you'd like a replacement, please email us back with the following:
  • Your name and a mailing address that will be valid for at least the next 3 months
  • A photo of the defective A HARD DAY'S NIGHT 4K UHD disc with your name and date written on the front/art side (using a sharpie or paint marker - you can write this info on the lighter portion of the disc, and take a photo against a light source so your name and date are visible). You do not need to break the disc.
  • The Blu-ray and DVD of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT are not affected and do not need to be replaced
You're welcome to submit this information closer to March, if you prefer, or contact the original vendor now regarding refund, exchange, or credit options.

Britton

Screenwriter
Haha, I was planning on using the $10 credit from the Citizen Kane disc on this during their next 50% flash sale. Hopefully this gets sorted out by then!

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I got this email from Criterion:

Thanks for reaching out and apologies for this disappointing error which affects our recently released A HARD DAY'S NIGHT 4K UHD disc.

We will have replacement discs on hand in March. If you'd like a replacement, please email us back with the following:
  • Your name and a mailing address that will be valid for at least the next 3 months
  • A photo of the defective A HARD DAY'S NIGHT 4K UHD disc with your name and date written on the front/art side (using a sharpie or paint marker - you can write this info on the lighter portion of the disc, and take a photo against a light source so your name and date are visible). You do not need to break the disc.
  • The Blu-ray and DVD of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT are not affected and do not need to be replaced
You're welcome to submit this information closer to March, if you prefer, or contact the original vendor now regarding refund, exchange, or credit options.
I received the same Email. I will be Returning mine back to Amazon tomorrow for a Gift Card. The original Bluray is Good enough for me. :D The Bluray looks Brighter and Better to me. Over and Out.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I got my copy of the 4K AHDN this past Thursday. I have not watched it yet. Good to know about the error. I guess I’ll wait to get the replacement disc.

So that’s now AHDN and Citizen Kane that I’ll be applying for replacements. Glad they are jumping on this quickly.

parlorcat

Auditioning
Real Name
Perry
I got mine yesterday. Disc looks very Nice and sounds Great ! Here's the Problem I noticed on my 4K UHD Disc. At 1:23:14 into the movie The Beatles are singing She Loves You. There is a shot of John singing something else ! :confused: At 1:24:43 just after You're a Swine ? The title song starts and as The Beatles start to walk out. Then it switches back to the video control room and you can see The Beatles singing If I Fell with the blonde woman adjusting the screens again. ? :confused: Then back to them running towards the helicopter. Who lets things like this get released ?? :rolleyes: I want a Replacement disc Criterion. :( ...... Anybody ?? View attachment 125489
I can concur and look forward to getting a replacement. Very disappointing! Doesn’t anybody review a disc on a major release like this before the release date? I guess not. Thank you very much for catching this situation. I feel bad for all the Amazon (etc.) customers and others, who will probably never know about the problem.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
They should definitely have people familiar with the movie watch the entire disc before committing to it. At the very least they should have someone watch the disc at the same time as a known good copy to make sure there aren't any major differences.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Glad I came across this thread before I purchased this title! I will put it off till this issue has been taken care of.

parlorcat

Auditioning
Real Name
Perry
Glad I came across this thread before I purchased this title! I will put it off till this issue has been taken care of.
Yes, but the problem is, when you eventually buy it, how will you know in advance, if you’re getting old or new stock? I highly doubt that the packaging (or Criterion or retailers) will reference the change at that point. I think you’re better off getting it now and requesting the replacement disc that Criterion says will be available in March. At least then you’ll know you’ll get the good one.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't even get how this could possibly happen. They're not (or they should not be) re-editing or re-conforming the films.
I’m certainly no expert nor do I know how films are transferred to digital and then composited for transfer to disc.

With that said, I’m thinking back on a few transfers that had errors and from my experiences at ripping Blu Rays with MakeMKV. It seems that a film on disc is comprised of many different short segments that are programmed to go together in a specific order. So there are many segments of film files that go to comprise a movie. Alien for example, surprised me with what looked like 30 or so different segments. They could very well be each chapter break.

So when I think about Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, its initial blu ray had an error with a reaction shot of Sulu during the Kobayashi Maru segment. Perhaps in that case, the wrong file was used. And in 2001: A Space Odyssey there is a scene transition that is supposed to be a fade out, but the first 4K blu ray release had a hard cut. Not sure how that one happened. Perhaps the 4K files are the actual film scan without the fade added yet and it had to be done in the digital realm.

So perhaps in the case of A Hard Days Night, they simply did not get the order of the short segments in the correct order during the assembly of the 4K files.

And I agree, why is there no one doing a final viewing check. I can only imagine that the staff doing the transfers are small. Perhaps Covid has caused some things to fall through the cracks, they are busy with a few other projects and while working remotely, someone didn’t do a final check. I can also imagine, someone doing the work on the files has seen the movie several times and reached a point of boredom on the 20th pass through the movie and just missed the error. There wasn’t another set of eyes doing a final check.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
It would behoove these studios, especially when upgrading an existing 1080P BD release, to run the old and new discs side-by-side synced up in order to catch any possible editorial mistakes. consider the costs of such a minor error slipping through the cracks.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, but the problem is, when you eventually buy it, how will you know in advance, if you’re getting old or new stock? I highly doubt that the packaging (or Criterion or retailers) will reference the change at that point. I think you’re better off getting it now and requesting the replacement disc that Criterion says will be available in March. At least then you’ll know you’ll get the good one.
I think I will just wait for one of Criterion's "flash" 50% off sales -- if I decide to upgrade from the BD. I would hope that ordering directly from Criterion would ensure getting a corrected copy.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
For the "Citizen Kane" replacement this information is provided. I imagine something similar will be done for "A Hard Day's Night" Per Criterion website:

How to tell if you have a corrected Blu-ray 1 disc?

1. There will be a physical sticker on the outside of the plastic shrink wrap of all sealed copies of Citizen Kane with these new UPC code numbers:

On the 4K UHD edition: 715515270113

On the Blu-ray edition: 715515270212

2. The corrected Blu-ray disc 1 will read “Second pressing 2021” in the text around the edge of the disc face.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I got mine yesterday. Disc looks very Nice and sounds Great ! Here's the Problem I noticed on my 4K UHD Disc. At 1:23:14 into the movie The Beatles are singing She Loves You. There is a shot of John singing something else ! :confused: At 1:24:43 just after You're a Swine ? The title song starts and as The Beatles start to walk out. Then it switches back to the video control room and you can see The Beatles singing If I Fell with the blonde woman adjusting the screens again. ? :confused: Then back to them running towards the helicopter. Who lets things like this get released ?? :rolleyes: I want a Replacement disc Criterion. :( ...... Anybody ??
I can confirm both issues at 1:23:14 and at 1:24:43. I have always wondered how so many discs with problems get to the market. Does no one even bother to screen the file prior to finalizing and then again screen the discs prior to shipping? Surely, even someone with a minimum wage salary could do a better job of QC.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
"I worry whoever thought up the term 'quality control' thought if we didn't control it, it would get out of hand."

-Jane Wagner

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks