What's new

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I can confirm both issues at 1:23:14 and at 1:24:43. I have always wondered how so many discs with problems get to the market. Does no one even bother to screen the file prior to finalizing and then again screen the discs prior to shipping? Surely, even someone with a minimum wage salary could do a better job of QC.

Penny-wise, pound-foolish.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
I’m certainly no expert nor do I know how films are transferred to digital and then composited for transfer to disc.

With that said, I’m thinking back on a few transfers that had errors and from my experiences at ripping Blu Rays with MakeMKV. It seems that a film on disc is comprised of many different short segments that are programmed to go together in a specific order. So there are many segments of film files that go to comprise a movie. Alien for example, surprised me with what looked like 30 or so different segments. They could very well be each chapter break.
This is most likely because of the specific authoring of Alien's BD, an even more particular case since it has 2 different cuts on 1 single disc, authored in "seamless branching", a system allowing multiple cuts to share the same segments and only pick and choose the differing ones depending on which option you selected. It's a system that avoids having to duplicate everything, including identical scenes, and thus optimising disc space.

However, and that's particularly the case on BD and UHD (while DVD has smaller file size limitation), movies are otherwise in one single file. For instance, Criterion's UHD of A Hard Day's Night has the movie as a single 57.76 Gb file, just like they had Citizen Kane has a single 77.6 Gb file.

While seamless branching can indeed create authoring issues (like Arrow had on their Zombie Flesh Eaters BD, whose seams weren't always perfectly placed at the right timecode), the issue on A Hard Day's Night likely more simply comes upstream from when the restored master was created. Just like Eraserhead got a fade-to-white missing (and simply replaced by a fade-to-black) or Disney mangled The Little Mermaid with editing issue, it's likely here that, for whatever reason (wasn't it supposed to be the existing 4K resto with an HDR pass ?), the editing process at the restoration stage got the scenes wrong somehow.

Perhaps the 4K files are the actual film scan without the fade added yet and it had to be done in the digital realm.
In several cases, editing things like fades aren't in the negatives scanned and indeed are recreated digitally during the restoration. It's very likely what happened for Eraserhead (but also The Elephant Man and, IIRC, Mulholland Drive).

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Although a drag, I have a complete faith in Criterion’s 4K/UHD program. Looking forward to all that’s ahead.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I imagine at least some aspects of the QC, like what's described in this particular case, could/should just be automated (via reasonable software), if they can use a reliable master/version for comparison against the final, authored version. Of course, some details would likely still require a real, astute set of eyes (or more) to catch...

_Man_

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

lasercat

Auditioning
Real Name
Perry
The correct spelling of the email address you need to write to is: [email protected]

I submitted my request there (with the photo of the 4K disc marked with my name and date, along with my name and mailing address in the email as directed) and within 24 hours, I promptly received this reply:

“Thank you for submitting your details! Your information is now in our queue and a replacement HARD DAY'S NIGHT 4K UHD disc will be shipping to you sometime in March, as corrected discs are being manufactured now. We will alert you if there's any delay. Otherwise, please allow until early April for delivery before following up for a status update.”

So it appears that they’re taking this seriously.

Last edited:

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Criterion have shipped the replacement disc. I'm very impressed with how fast they managed to manufacture and replace the defective Citizen Kane and Hard Day's Night discs.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Criterion have shipped the replacement disc. I'm very impressed with how fast they managed to manufacture and replace the defective Citizen Kane and Hard Day's Night discs.
titch, Thanks for the Good News ! :D Looks like I will be reordering soon. Sent my original disc Back to Amazon for Refund.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Mine came today. I don't even recall requesting it, so I guess they sent out to critics automatically.

Or I requested it and I'm so old and senile I forgot! :D

DanFan

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
MIne arrived today as well. I checked the portion of the film in question and it is now correct.

lasercat

Auditioning
Real Name
Perry
BCF8C134-BE1D-4CFF-ACA8-62BE5E2D5B4C.jpeg

I received mine today as well. Haven’t checked it out yet, but I have high hopes and I also appreciate how quick they resolved this. Thought you all might like to see what it looks like. I’m glad that it says “SECOND PRESSING 2022” on the outer edge of the disc. That’ll make it easy to tell it apart from the previous release!

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
View attachment 130396
I received mine today as well. Haven’t checked it out yet, but I have high hopes and I also appreciate how quick they resolved this. Thought you all might like to see what it looks like. I’m glad that it says “SECOND PRESSING 2022” on the outer edge of the disc. That’ll make it easy to tell it apart from the previous release!
lasercat, Thanks for the News and Photo ! ;) That's Nice that they put Second Pressing 2022 on the Disc. I should be able to reorder the New Pressing soon. I started this thread when spotted the Defects I saw on the 4K DIsc I got from Amazon. I returned it for a Gift Card. They fixed it Fast. :D I'm Glad.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, glad to see you guys getting the replacement disc. I was trying to find info for how to get the replacement. I checked the Criterion site but did not see anything. Did they need us to cut the disc in half and submit a photo like the Citizen Kane disc? Is there an email address to use and what to title the email? Thanks!

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Guys, glad to see you guys getting the replacement disc. I was trying to find info for how to get the replacement. I checked the Criterion site but did not see anything. Did they need us to cut the disc in half and submit a photo like the Citizen Kane disc? Is there an email address to use and what to title the email? Thanks!
Send them an email to

[email protected]

and use the subject: A HARD DAY'S NIGHT 4K UHD REPLACEMENT

You need to provide
  • Your name and a mailing address that will be valid for at least the next 3 months
  • A photo of the defective A HARD DAY'S NIGHT 4K UHD disc with your name and date written on the front/art side (using a sharpie or paint marker - you can write this info on the lighter portion of the disc, and take a photo against a light source so your name and date are visible). You do not need to break the disc.
  • The Blu-ray and DVD of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT are not affected and do not need to be replaced

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Criterion mailed me a replacement for my review copy. I wasn't super freaked about the errors but it's nice it's fixed for their demanding customers.

lasercat

Auditioning
Real Name
Perry
lasercat, Thanks for the News and Photo ! ;) That's Nice that they put Second Pressing 2022 on the Disc. I should be able to reorder the New Pressing soon. I started this thread when spotted the Defects I saw on the 4K DIsc I got from Amazon. I returned it for a Gift Card. They fixed it Fast. :D I'm Glad.
Rick…Many thanks go out to you for your keen eye and getting the ball rolling on this (back on 1/18/22). I’m a lifelong fan of The Beatles and AHDN, but I must’ve blinked while initially watching the end of that first disc and didn’t even catch the errors! And thanks also to HTF for providing this place for us all to get news of things like this. I can’t imagine how the average, casual viewer and consumer would otherwise have learned about it…So many bad copies out there that will never be replaced. Much appreciated! 😊

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NGreen08
Recent bookmarks