What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion will be giving us DON'T LOOK NOW... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is among the six titles announced for February 2015, and it indicates that the "New 4K transfer" was "approved" by director Roeg. But Roeg also approved the UK transfer from Optimum, which was wiped completely clean of grain and looks pasty and smeared. I have to assume that the forthcoming disc will be exponentially better. I surely hope so...this is one of theose desert island films for me. Unfortunately, Roeg's commentary, included on the UK edition, has not been carried over here, so I'll have to keep the Optimum anyway.

But, thank you, Criterion!

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Wouldn't be unusual for a director to approve a transfer that then goes through a meat grinding machine before it reaches a disc. I have faith the Criterion will be fine (but if it is the same as the StudioCanal, expect outrage. That thing is far more abominable looking than Children of Paradise or Madame de).

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The new scan was taken by Criterion from the original negative in London earlier this year; I'm expecting something pretty close to as perfect as the format will allow.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Ah well if it's a new scan then I expect the same John. Glad I never wasted my money on what StudioCanal tried to sell me. Reason #382 why being region locked today is simply not an option.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Dick said:
This is among the six titles announced for February 2015, and it indicates that the "New 4K transfer" was "approved" by director Roeg. But Roeg also approved the UK transfer from Optimum, which was wiped completely clean of grain and looks pasty and smeared. I have to assume that the forthcoming disc will be exponentially better. I surely hope so...this is one of theose desert island films for me. Unfortunately, Roeg's commentary, included on the UK edition, has not been carried over here, so I'll have to keep the Optimum anyway.

But, thank you, Criterion!

Was not wiped clean of grain. Unless you mean correctly looking grain. It's grain plus distortions now (filtering noise).

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
The Criterion is here and comparing the stills is an education as to what damage clueless denoising/degraining does to the texture of the film.
Criterion: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dont-L...6/#Screenshots
UK: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dont-L...7/#Screenshots
3 stills are the same frame.
Now someone please tell me again that stills are useless and can't be used to check for (some) problems with a transfer.
smile.gif

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Michel_Hafner said:
The Criterion is here and comparing the stills is an education as to what damage clueless denoising/degraining does to the texture of the film.
Criterion: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dont-L...6/#Screenshots
UK: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dont-L...7/#Screenshots
3 stills are the same frame.
Now someone please tell me again that stills are useless and can't be used to check for (some) problems with a transfer.
smile.gif

The UK disc has really been beaten with the ugly stick!

Does anybody else find it ironic that the company that released this mess calls itself Optimum?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I fell in love with this film when I first saw it in film class in college over 30 years ago. I have sold my DVD copy in anticipation of this release. Now just to wait for the next Criterion sale.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Seems like a great release but they didn't port (get) the audio commentary? It's a shame.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Where have all the flowers posts gone?

Anyway. The links, that were posted yesterday, showed that the PQ of the Criterion is superiour to the Studiocanal European release(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks