What's new

Criterion Press Release: Dressed To Kill (Blu-ray) (6 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Footstank40 said:
And if people didn't speak up about things that look clearly wrong, it's possible nothing would have been done to correct the issue.

The "this is director approved and you should all shut up" crowd should take note.
That didn't happen here and won't be tolerated as everybody had an opportunity to express their opinion about this issue.

DalekFlay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dane M.
Huh. So I guess I should pre-order this again and email that address about a new disc then? I guess that works. Cheaper for them then a recall I assume. Still feel half tempted to just get the Arrow. Anyone have an advice?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Robert Crawford said:
That didn't happen here and won't be tolerated as everybody had an opportunity to express their opinion about this issue.
I have a hunch that he spoke about other instances that this has happened, and not this particular thread.

(although I do think in the end it would go towards that direction if we hadn't received any official explanation, like in other threads. But that is just a guess on my part)

Footstank40

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Konstantinos said:
I have a hunch that he spoke about other instances that this has happened, and not this particular thread.

(although I do think in the end it would go towards that direction if we hadn't received any official explanation, like in other threads. But that is just a guess on my part)

Yeah, it was more of a broad statement regarding countless "director-approved" discs that people have problems with.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Robert Crawford said:
The system (which is free expression among interested parties, and is no system at all) worked!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've been following this thread with great interest. Great news it was simply an error and it's being corrected.

I checked on the Criterion site and Mr. Mulvaney responded to questions about discs that are already in the supply chain. Those discs are all with the error. So if you buy now, you'd have to request the replacement.

I was checking because I was wondering how some of you guys have already gotten the disc when it's not out till the 18th. The only thing that makes sense is you are reviewers.

I might wait till the November Barnes and Noble sale. The stock should have the correct discs then.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Nelson Au said:
I've been following this thread with great interest. Great news it was simply an error and it's being corrected.

I checked on the Criterion site and Mr. Mulvaney responded to questions about discs that are already in the supply chain. Those discs are all with the error. So if you buy now, you'd have to request the replacement.

I was checking because I was wondering how some of you guys have already gotten the disc when it's not out till the 18th. The only thing that makes sense is you are reviewers.

I might wait till the November Barnes and Noble sale. The stock should have the correct discs then.
I don't believe anyone in this thread has gotten the disc other than Colin Jacobson, who IS a reviewer.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, it sure seemed like more then one person has seen the disc. But it must be all the comments about the screen caps.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
haineshisway said:
I don't believe anyone in this thread has gotten the disc other than Colin Jacobson, who IS a reviewer.
I also have the disc in hand.

IMG_3978.JPG

Real Name
Jordan
Reggie W said:
Nice work by Criterion and this just in...Brian De Palma is God and does not want you to jump off a bridge.
How do you feel about this all and how would you feel if the framing matched the MGM exactly? You were one of the few that felt the uncorrected Criterion was the most accurate and described certain things in the MGM disc as looking "blown-up and stretched in a ridiculous fashion".

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I pre-ordered the disc awhile back, so when it arrives, I'll just request the corrected copy, if needed.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
NegativeCreep said:
How do you feel about this all and how would you feel if the framing matched the MGM exactly? You were one of the few that felt the uncorrected Criterion was the most accurate and described certain things in the MGM disc as looking "blown-up and stretched in a ridiculous fashion".
I would say that at this point no one has seen the fixed disc and therefore no one knows what the actual framing will be - they only know that Mr. De Palma's requested squeeze will be gone - we'll see what that does to the framing but I would not automatically assume it will match the MGM - maybe it will, maybe it won't. There are frequently framing differences from previous releases.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The folks at Criterion told me they "hope to have the corrected disc in the next few weeks", so it doesn't sound like we'll be able to discuss the changes/fixes for a while...

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Awesome news...knew Criterion would get this sorted. Now they just need to license The Big Country from MGM and fix the stretch on that transfer.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
NegativeCreep said:

I feel very good about it. I like the fact that Criterion acted quickly and that De Palma was involved. I have stated all I want to see is the film looking as good as it can. I do think that the early blu-rays show an image that is distorted when I toggled back and forth between screen caps but as I said I re-watched the older blu-ray and while I was watching it I did not feel anything was off except the framing in some scenes. In the scene where Caine is talking to Gordon at the police station Caine leans forward and on the old discs the top of his head goes out of the frame. On the cap of this moment on the Criterion Caine's head stays completely in the frame...that just looks more correct to me. The fact that De Palma seemed to want more of the image on the left on this new disc to me sort of indicates he also prefers that framing.

As I said, all I hope for is the best possible disc of the film because like you I'm a big fan of it. So, I think this is all going quite well.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
So amazon has removed the new blu-ray from their order page and it now lists as "unavailable."

Obviously, they don't want to take any more orders for the un-corrected discs so I wonder if that means they're returning all of their stock and all the pre-orders will be cancelled. I just RE- pre-ordered mine a few days ago after the official Criterion announcement.

Maybe Criterion decided to just recall everything and only send the discs out once they have been corrected.

I haven't got any type of notice yet that the order has been cancelled but I really wouldn't mind. I'd rather just be sure I was getting the corrected disc the first time and not have to go trough the hassle of replacing it. It's probably easier on them AND Amazon as well.

monkeytree5

Auditioning
Real Name
John Tree
Robert Harris said:
While I have no horse in this race, the obvious question must be asked before the release is branded technically problematic.

What if this is the way the filmmaker desired the film to be seen?

The release is "director approved." That's a huge step above kibbles and bits, or whatever.

My take is that this is the way the filmmaker wanted it. Period.

Whether major changes have been made, either color or technical, is irrelevant.

You're viewing the filmmaker's vision.

Not Criterion's.

Whether the viewer likes it, is a different situation.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

RAH

So will you concede that your "take" was wrong? Period?

That whatever changes made were NOT irrelevant?

That we were not viewing the filmmaker's vision?

That a sticker saying "director approved" is not enough to go on?

And that it might just take the due dillegence of film-fans to help right a wrong?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
monkeytree5 said:
So will you concede that your "take" was wrong? Period?

That whatever changes made were NOT irrelevant?

That we were not viewing the filmmaker's vision?

That a sticker saying "director approved" is not enough to go on?

And that it might just take the due dillegence of film-fans to help right a wrong?
I'm just gonna say that the original statement made by Criterion would not invalidate anything Mr. Harris said in his post. The follow-up statement seems to these eyes to be an attempt at damage control of the first statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks