1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Press Release: Dressed To Kill (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I think that pretty much sums it up though others will no doubt insist that Criterion overrode De Palma's wishes rather than seeing it as a technical glitch.

2. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    No others may see it as De Palma asking for something, being given it, and then having the merde hit the fan.

3. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    GOD.

4. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    I'm really not sure how there is any confusion as to what happened here. Criterion were pretty clear in their statement:

In other words, De Palma noticed the exact same problem with the transfer that most everyone else did, and asked for it to be fixed. Criterion never did. Hence, replacement programme.

Will Krupp and Thomas T like this.
  5. Footstank40

Footstank40 Auditioning

Scott
    I came here to post that very statement. It shouldn't be too much to ask for people to actually read Criterions statement, but I guess when you have already dug in your heals...

6. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I understand what the follow-up statement was - I can read English. But here is the ORIGINAL statement - which directly negates the second statement. I believe they gave De Palma what he wanted, then the Internet exploded, he probably didn't like being called out, they probably convinced him it had to be fixed and he probably asked them to revise their statement - all conjecture, just like everything in this thread. I don't really know what is hard to understand about "asked if there was anything that could be done to correct what he felt was a distortion in the image THAT CAUSED EVERYONE TO APPEAR SLIGHTLY WIDE OR SQUAT." He didn't feel the image had been squished, he WANTED it squished. They gave him SQUISHED. "De Palma was SATISFIED."

"In the course of preparing the master for Criterion’s new release of

Dressed to Kill, director Brian De Palma asked if there was anything
    that could be done to correct what he felt was a distortion in the
    image that caused everyone to appear slightly wide or squat. A modest
    anamorphic compression was applied, and De Palma was satisfied. On
    reviewing the final product, we feel the adjustment doesn’t accurately
    reflect the look of the film, and we are reauthoring discs without the
    squeeze and will make them available to all purchasers of our release
    of Dressed to Kill free of charge."

7. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    I'm hoping that the confusion surrounding how this happened in the first place isn't an indication of a decline in interest by film makers in the best possible home video versions of their work. That Criterion "Director-Approved" sticker should count for something, and it surely suggests that the director signed off on Criterion's work personally and thoroughly by actually seeing it. I have enough faith in Criterion to believe that they won't let this sloppy procedure happen again any time soon.

Stephen_J_H, Will Krupp and ROclockCK like this.
  8. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Maybe Hulu will take a page from the Netflix playbook...and the "maybe it was originally intended" will live on there...

9. Tom Logan

Tom Logan Stunt Coordinator

Brian De Palma asked if there was anything
    that could be done to correct what he felt was a distortion in the
    image that caused everyone to appear slightly wide or squat. A modest anamorphic compression was applied, and De Palma was satisfied.

Pardon my ignorance, but why wouldn't the solution to De Palma's problem be stretching the image vertically (pull the top higher and the bottom lower) rather than adding more information horizontally (i.e., on each side)?

10. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'm blaming all this kerfuffle on Michael Caine's bloody big head. :P

Dale MA and Stephen_J_H like this.
  11. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    They did both. The image was squeezed vertically, and there was more information exposed in the frame.

12. Tom Logan

I don't understand. I thought De Palma's problem was that the faces appeared too wide. Why would vertically squeezing (rather than stretching) solve that problem?

13. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Sorry, I meant to say squeezed horizontally, not vertically, so that everyone appears taller and thinner.

Tom Logan likes this.
  14. Tom Logan

^Thanks. :)

My question still remains, and I assume it's a technical one: Why not just stretch the image vertically to un-squat the image? Why ADD information on the sides?

15. NegativeCreep

Jordan
    I advise everybody to keep hold of their current non-Criterion discs. This whole situation has been a clusterfuck and the way Criterion is wording some of the things in their statements confuses matters even more.

Will they keep the extra information but just change the ratio to even out the proportions or matte out the soundtrack area?

In the original statement it says that De Palma thought that everything was too wide, so maybe there could still be some less egregious problems with the squeezing on the replacement.

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Got my review copy - it's definitely fixed!

I directly compared the old disc and the corrected one - I was almost shocked to see how much (unintentional) information showed up on the left side of the screen. For instance, at 57:40, the correct one crops at the left edge of Michael Caine's telephone, whereas the wrong one shows paperwork and a plant on the left of the phone.

Comparing the circular lamp in the background also demonstrates improved geometry. The old one looked more oblong,

If people are worried about getting the wrong version, the new one reads "Second Printing": on the back - the old one says "First Printing". As far as I can tell, the packaging is otherwise identical...

17. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    I think that the only people who even got the first printing were reviewers so, barring any accidents, I think we should all be safe. Great to hear you got it and glad all is well with it.

Thanks Colin!

18. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

Criterion Cast's Ryan Gallagher tweeted out a picture of the backs of the first and second (corrected) printing of DRESSED TO KILL
    [​IMG]

19. Colin Jacobson

That pic shows the shrinkwrap on the 2nd pressing but not the 1st, I don't think.

I don't still have the shrinkwrap for the 1st pressing, but I can say that without the shrinkwrap, the two releases look 100% identical except for the "First Pressing"/"Second Pressing" blurbs.

Here are my copies side by side:

[​IMG]

20. Colin Jacobson

You're welcome! I'm sure you're right that the first pressings shouldn't make it to stores, but I figured I should post just so people can make sure before they break the shrinkwrap! :)