What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dressed to Kill -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Brian De Palma's 1980 Dressed to Kill has arrived on 4k courtesy of Kino, and it's a class act that beautifully mimics a 35mm print in projection.

A fun thriller (unbelievably) 42 years ago, that nicely stands the test of time.

The new 4k, a harvest from the OCN, gives us great color, black levels, gray scale, and a beautiful velvety sheen of grain.

Kino gives collectors the full gamut of extras - commentaries, featurettes, interviews and short docs.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA Monuaral)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Highly Recommended

RAH

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Glad to hear the upgrade is worth it, thanks! I snoozed and missed my chance to pre-order this on Amazon and suddenly it's hard to find. I'm hoping to pick it up once it becomes available again. Looking forward to it!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I wonder how the colour compares to the Criterion disc, which looked completely different from the older MGM blu-ray.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I wonder how the colour compares to the Criterion disc, which looked completely different from the older MGM blu-ray.

The Kino 4K is less green in those police station scenes than the Criterion.

Perfect Thanksgiving week film.
C5238199-92E6-41D7-A6D8-EA209DE1E0A2.jpeg

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
I saw the film upon its opening in New York and enjoyed it. Watching it a few years ago it seemed far less appealing. Is there something distasteful about it now that was less obvious then?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw the film upon its opening in New York and enjoyed it. Watching it a few years ago it seemed far less appealing. Is there something distasteful about it now that was less obvious then?
I found it distasteful when I saw it. I've never watched it again.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Only DePalma I’ve seen that I outright dislike. It’s quite well-made, but it’s so repellent in a way that I didn’t even pick up from The New York Ripper. Doesn’t help that the ending comes off as incredibly
transphobic
, something certain films by Hitchcock and Castle managed to avoid two decades earlier. Great to see Kino knocking it out of the park with these UHD upgrades, but those new to the film might want to tread carefully.

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
While extremely provocative for its time and filled with strong performances, I find it difficult to watch now. I was excited when it reached blu ray but watched and just thought... it has not aged well

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
How does the 5.1 track sound? I recall a previous release (MGM?), where the stereo track completely diminished Pino Donaggio's incredible score. I wonder if they corrected that?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This is featured on a recent episode of Quentin Tarantino and Roger Avery's podcast. They have Eli Roth on to discuss it with them. They watched it on a VHS tape and appear to love the way the film is presented on VHS. This is a feature of the podcast because Tarantino apparently purchased the Video Archives library of VHS tapes.

Their opinion on the film is it is a masterpiece. All three are huge De Palma fans.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Only DePalma I’ve seen that I outright dislike. It’s quite well-made, but it’s so repellent in a way that I didn’t even pick up from The New York Ripper. Doesn’t help that the ending comes off as incredibly (spoier), something certain films by Hitchcock and Castle managed to avoid two decades earlier. Great to see Kino knocking it out of the park with these UHD upgrades, but those new to the film might want to tread carefully.
I don't think the film has any particular social or political agenda. DePalma was trying to be edgy and transgressive, piling excess on top of excess to provoke a reaction in the audience, like a little boy being deliberately 'naughty.'

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I don't think the film has any particular social or political agenda. DePalma was trying to be edgy and transgressive, piling excess on top of excess to provoke a reaction in the audience, like a little boy being deliberately 'naughty.'[/spoiler]

Although I can't begrudge anyone their repulsion at the casual
transphobia
of the movie (at all!) I DO tend to agree with you.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
This is featured on a recent episode of Quentin Tarantino and Roger Avery's podcast. They have Eli Roth on to discuss it with them. They watched it on a VHS tape and appear to love the way the film is presented on VHS. This is a feature of the podcast because Tarantino apparently purchased the Video Archives library of VHS tapes.

Their opinion on the film is it is a masterpiece. All three are huge De Palma fans.
I saw a print once at the New Beverly and you should have heard Quentin laughing when Kate finds the doctor's note.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Although I can't begrudge anyone their repulsion at the casual
transphobia
of the movie (at all!) I DO tend to agree with you.
Same. People can certainly not like the movie based on it but I see Dressed To Kill as DePalma riffing on or trying to one-up Psycho rather than intending to paint an entire group of people as dangerous psychopaths.

nyguy2046

Agent
Real Name
Chris
How does the 5.1 track sound? I recall a previous release (MGM?), where the stereo track completely diminished Pino Donaggio's incredible score. I wonder if they corrected that?
The 5.1 track is included in lossless, as well as the original mono track which is much more balanced in its mix. It sounds wonderful here.

nyguy2046

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Angie Dickinson's best performance! She should have gotten a supporting actress Oscar nomination. Her scene in the museum minus any dialogue is sensational.
It's true. She's onscreen, almost in every shot, for an uninterrupted 30 minutes with only two brief dialogue sequences. She manages to do so much without words.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Angie Dickinson's best performance! She should have gotten a supporting actress Oscar nomination. Her scene in the museum minus any dialogue is sensational.
I was somewhat repelled by the film because MS Dikinson's performance was so emphathetic and warm and yes, sad, that after what happened to her it was difficult to enjoy the rest of the film. But as you said, the museum scene is a masterpiece of performance, direction, music, and editing. Later when she opens the desk and sees the health department report, I was disgusted. There was no reason for that to be in the script. Of course someone had a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks