What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Inland Empire (2006) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IIOf9P08qJv4m2LTNgeVh6D7itPShZ_large.jpg
Strange, what love does.” The role of a lifetime, a Hollywood mystery, a woman in trouble . . . David Lynch’s first digitally shot feature makes visionary use of the medium to weave a vast meditation on the enigmas of time, identity, and cinema itself. Featuring a tour de force performance from Laura Dern as an actor on the edge, this labyrinthine Dream Factory nightmare tumbles down an endless series of unfathomably interconnected rabbit holes as it takes viewers on a hallucinatory odyssey into the deepest realms of the unconscious mind.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 180 minutes
  • Black and White/Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English, Polish
  • Spine #1175

DIRECTOR-APPROVED TWO-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New HD digital master, made from the 4K restoration supervised by director David Lynch, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio and uncompressed stereo soundtracks, newly remastered by Lynch and original rerecording mixers Dean Hurley and Ron Eng
    • Two films from 2007, LYNCH (one) and LYNCH2, by blackANDwhite, the makers of David Lynch: The Art Life
    • New conversation between actors Laura Dern and Kyle MacLachlan
    • More Things That Happened, seventy-five minutes of extra scenes
    • Ballerina, a 2007 short film by Lynch
    • Reading by Lynch of excerpts from Room to Dream, his 2018 book with critic Kristine McKenna
    • Trailer
    • New English subtitle translation and English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: Excerpts from Richard A. Barney’s book David Lynch: Interviews

New cover based on an original theatrical poster

March 21, 2023

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
After having just seen the 4K restoration of Wings Of Desire, I wonder what a "4K restoration" of Inland Empire is going to look like. The film was shot in standard definition with en early digital camera and looked abysmal when I saw it theatrically (Helsinki, March 2007) and looks absolutely horrendous on the blu-ray I have. Silk purse, sows ear etc. The only film by David Lynch I actively dislike and can't watch again - mostly because the visual experience is so awful.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
After having just seen the 4K restoration of Wings Of Desire, I wonder what a "4K restoration" of Inland Empire is going to look like. The film was shot in standard definition with en early digital camera and looked abysmal when I saw it theatrically (Helsinki, March 2007) and looks absolutely horrendous on the blu-ray I have. Silk purse, sows ear etc. The only film by David Lynch I actively dislike and can't watch again - mostly because the visual experience is so awful.

Oh, there's a lot more wrong with this movie than just the visual experience. It's far and away the worst thing Lynch has made... and I've actually seen The Cowboy and the Frenchman!

I knew this announcement was inevitable. As a Lynch completist, I'll have to buy it, but I really just hate this movie start to finish.

Inland Empire looked bad even for standard-def due to the decisions Lynch made in making it. He actually wanted it to look terrible, and went out of his way to ensure that happened.

Apparently, he regrets that now. This new so-called "restoration" supposedly uses some fancy new form of A.I. upconversion to make the movie look somewhat presentable. I've only seen screenshots, and there's a significant difference. It's kind of like deepfaking a decent-looking picture on top of a terrible one. It's weird. What it will look like in motion, I have no idea.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, I loved Inland Empire but agree that it looked terrible though obviously intentionally so. I'll wait on reviews about the quality of the transfer before (and if) I upgrade. It's actually the only title in this Criterion slate of titles announced today that I'm interested in.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
At least Criterion isn't wasting a UHD on this, despite the "4K" restoration.

I don't hate the film, but it has always played more like an artist's sketchbook to me than a completed work. If nothing else, it gave us this:

david-lynch-cow-laura-dern-oscar-inland-empire-785x428.jpg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I don't know how accurate this is, but I saw someone comment the following on Criterion's Facebook post:

"It was shot in 525x480 and postproduced in HD. For the restoration, it was scanned in 4K, then actually downscaled back to SD and then upscaled again to 4K through IA."

:blink:

(I presume they mean "AI" there at the end.)

Since the movie was shot on DV, saying it's been "scanned in 4K" implies that this whole project is working from a film-out of that, not even the original video footage itself. I just can't even comprehend any of this.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I don't know how accurate this is, but I saw someone comment the following on Criterion's Facebook post:

"It was shot in 525x480 and postproduced in HD. For the restoration, it was scanned in 4K, then actually downscaled back to SD and then upscaled again to 4K through IA."

:blink:

(I presume they mean "AI" there at the end.)

Since the movie was shot on DV, saying it's been "scanned in 4K" implies that this whole project is working from a film-out of that, not even the original video footage itself. I just can't even comprehend any of this.
My understanding was they went back to the original SD digital files and upscaled those. I can't imagine they would start with the film-out.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
My understanding was they went back to the original SD digital files and upscaled those. I can't imagine they would start with the film-out.

Even so, if any of this is correct, they'd have to start with SD, then upscale, downscale, and upscale again. Good heavens, why?!

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Even so, if any of this is correct, they'd have to start with SD, then upscale, downscale, and upscale again. Good heavens, why?!
Upscale from SD to 4K for the "restoration," downscale the 4K to 1080p for the Blu-ray. I don't understand where the "upscale again" is happening?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Upscale from SD to 4K for the "restoration," downscale the 4K to 1080p for the Blu-ray. I don't understand where the "upscale again" is happening?
If you’re watching on a 4K display, it’s upscaling the 1080p.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
If you’re watching on a 4K display, it’s upscaling the 1080p.
Got it. I'd have to see a side-by-side comparison, but my hunch would be that Inland Empire is one of those cases where the visible difference between a well-authored Blu-ray and a UHD would be negligible, at best.

Criterion released Lost Highway as a UHD right out of the gate, so if there was some benefit to going UHD for Inland Empire, I suspect they would have done it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

The master was upscaled to 2160p from the original DV Master, then Lynch decided to downscale that master back to 480p, then they used artifiical intelligence to upscale the downscaled upscale back to 2160. The blu-ray is a downscale of the upscaled downscaled upscale.

understand season 7 GIF by NBC

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The master was upscaled to 2160p from the original DV Master, then Lynch decided to downscale that master back to 480p, then they used artifiical intelligence to upscale the downscaled upscale back to 2160. The blu-ray is a downscale of the upscaled downscaled upscale.

understand season 7 GIF by NBC
That makes at least as much sense as anything else in the movie, so I'm good with it.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
"From these tests, director David Lynch chose the upscale made using the GaiaHD algorithm and footage that had first been downscaled back to SD in order to throw away false detail introduced during the original HD conversion and allow the most effective use of the AI upscale (footage upscaled directly from the HD was less noticeably “4K-looking”)."

My head is positively reeling trying to make sense of that paragraph! :blink:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
"From these tests, director David Lynch chose the upscale made using the GaiaHD algorithm and footage that had first been downscaled back to SD in order to throw away false detail introduced during the original HD conversion and allow the most effective use of the AI upscale (footage upscaled directly from the HD was less noticeably “4K-looking”)."

Let's hear Mr. Van Winkle explain:
;) ...

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

And the award for Best Word Salad describing a video transfer goes to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks