What's new

Cracked Up-New FOX show (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Did anyone see this last night?
Great start to what I am sure will be a great show.
For anyone who likes crazy comedies like Arrested Development or the Simpsons and for people who are tired of the usual Situation comedies try this.
It's on again tonight!

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I watched the show and found it funny. It has promise.

I thought maybe there too much going on in this first episode. I mean by that, we learn too much of every character right away instead of getting to know the characters over a few episodes and understanding thier faults, instead everything is packed into one episode, but maybe they did that to setup the rest of the series.

Molly Shannon seems to overact everything and doesn't really stretch her acting abilities too much. Everytime she was on camera, something always reminded me of a SNL character she did.

Paul

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I usually cant stand Molly Shannon, but I found the first episode to be pretty funny. Definately has potential.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
To me it was an unlikeable, less funny Arrested Development. I may give it another shot tonight. The acting just sucked, though, for the most part.

MattGentry

Second Unit
Gotta agree with Adam for the most part. Poor acting (i.e. Molly Shannon) was a big part. Yes, they introduced way too much in the introductory episode. And the humor... well, it just wasn't funny. I laughed once - when the son was talking to Jason Batema (oh, sorry...was thinking about the astoundingly better comedy on FOX) Well, when the main character and the son were talking about shaving.

And even that wasn't "out loud" funny. More like "ha". To me, I see this lasting a short while, but eventually attempting to retool itself into a better show.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Yeah, they may have tried to cram too much in but we'll see how it goes.
I find this much better than most of the comedys on TV and even the characters are a far cry from the usual that we see on all networks.

I liked the shaving bit. How often do you see a Bi guy on TV and that young too?
Molly is Molly. I suppose they could have gotten another actress but I think she was hired for a reason.
She's a funny Woman!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not crazy about the pilot, and so far, tonight's episode isn't all that entertaining or original so far.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I thought the second episode was pretty funny, several laugh out loud moments.

"Son one day when you get married you'll get this urge to get up on your wife and then she'll have a baby... ok now go play some grand theft auto".

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Loved the instrumental of 'Charles in Charge' as the theme music.

But, what?

A Mike White project with Jack Black making an appearance? When did this start?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
School of Rock, but maybe even before that.

Gotta say, I would probably like this show better if it made me laugh once in a while. Occasional grinning does not a must see make. Then again, didn't really laugh during Chuck & Buck (although that had an interesting creepy vibe) and pretty much fell asleep during The Good Girl, so I'm not surprised -- Mike White seems allergic to a belly laugh. I get the feeling that School of Rock would have been only mildly amusing without Jack Black.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I sure was and so were the people that I was watching it with and we are tough critics when it comes to what's funny.

MattGentry

Second Unit
Gotta agree with Hanson. Grinned a few times. "Must see" it certainly is not.

Humor is a tough thing to do well. "Cracking Up" simply doesn't do it well. Or, at all.

But, we're only two episodes in. It still has time to improve, although I'm not holding my breath...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks