What's new

Cover falling off of B&W 602 (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The cover, or grill, whatever you call it, keeps falling off the front of my left speaker (B&W 602). The rubber around the hole where the cover's peg is supposed to go into on the speaker looks broken, rubbed off, and gone.

Solution recommendations?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

LewB

Screenwriter
Can you call your B&W retailer ? Maybe they might have an idea. Check out the B&W Website they have a 'technical support' section for e-mailing them. I used it once for a question and got a quick reply.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had a broken grill on my old B&W ASW500 subwoofer, and my dealer ordered a replacement (free of charge) from B&W, since the unit was covered under a 5 year manufacturer's warranty. You should be able to get free replacement parts through your dealer as well.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
obviously, getting a replacement is the best.
in the meantime, let me introduce you to ted's mickey-mouse fix of the day:
1. wrap something around the peg. i'm thinking some cloth or paper or something.
alternately
2. wrap something around the hole - effectively making the diameter smaller.
the end result is that the two pieces should have more "bite" and hold together.
howz that for cheesy fixes! :)

LewB

Screenwriter
wrap something around the hole - effectively making the diameter smaller.
I have 2 words for you:
DUCT TAPE
Yes duct tape, the all American solution to almost any fix-it situation. Even for fancy-schmancy B&W speakers ! (I own them too) :D
You can get rid of the tape residue with some lighter fluid or 'Goo-Gone' when you get your replacement part(s).
Better yet, remove the grills from the rest of your speakers, you might like that look better !

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I had a broken grill on one of my Nautilus 804s when I opened the box and my dealer had a replacement grill shipped to my house within days. Excellent customer service from the dealer and B&W.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
I've got 600 series all around, and I never put the grills on... Unless, of course, I'm having some friends over and there is a high chance of 'drunken stupidity'.

Heck, I haven't even taken the grills for my surrounds out of the plastic they came in.

-Aaron

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, guys.

I'll take it back to the dealer, except I probably don't have the receipt, so they may give me a hassle.

I actually don't like how it looks without the grill. I'll probably put tape or paper around the peg.

Thomas Reagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Mike,

Try wrapping a wide rubber band a few times around the post. If you over wrap it enough, it might give enough friction to the edge of the hole in the wood to keep the grille in place.

Thos.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,
It seems to me like that may make the post-with-rubber band together too thick to fit in the hole, but I'll give it a shot.
Thanks!

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
You could also put Blue-Tak in the hole and then push the grill on. It should grip pretty well.
I have 600 series B&W's all the way around too. The ONLY reason my grills are on is my significant other. She has been great while I assembled my system, so I "let" her win the grill-on/grill-off debate! :)
Pete

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Pete,

If thats the only compromise you've run into you're a lucky, lucky man!

I think the speakers sound a little clearer with the grills off myself, it's just a bonus that they look slick too.

-Aaron

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'll take it back to the dealer, except I probably don't have the receipt, so they may give me a hassle.
If your dealer has a computerized sales system, you may not need the receipt. My B&W dealer still had a record of my first purchase from 3 years ago when I was in there recently to buy two matching rear center speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks