What's new

Cool, Neutral, or Warm Color temp? (1 Viewer)

Mike Kao

Second Unit
I've been setting up my KV-32FS12 Wega w/ Video Essentials and Avia, and neither address this setting. Now I'm having trouble decided which to keep it on. Warm appears to be a bit too warm; the whites become off-white, and the picture becomes darker overall. Neutral on the other hand is slightly more pleasing to the eyes. The cool setting produces similar results to the neutral setting, but it seems to be the most vibrant of the three. There's a ever so slight blue tint to the picture, but the whites are more white, and blacks more black. It's hard to determine which one to choose. Right now I'm stuck between cool and neutral. Now what may I ask do you guys keep it set to? Do you keep the color temp the same for both DVD and TV viewing?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
That's the funny thing about the temp settings on the Sony sets.
If we assume that they are accurate, then the neutral setting is a misnomer ...
warm - ntsc standard is what "neutral" is supposed to be for our TV system.
Of course it is typically set up wrong on most sets so the image may actually be too red. Sigh.
But all things being equal ... one should always start from the warm setting first.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I had a KV35XBR-48 Sony, and the color temps were labelled high, medium, and "ntsc standard". I knew I was supposed to use ntsc standard, but, dammit, medium just looked better. Whites looked white, not reddish, not blueish.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks