What's new

Controlling standalone DVD from computer (1 Viewer)

davidBrenner

Auditioning
Good morning, and thanks to all in advance who have some ideas how I can make my system better!

I have a 400 disc standalone dvd player that I would like to control via a computer using IR emitters. Essentially, I would like to set something up where I can scroll through jpeg pictures of movie covers, and when I see something I would like to watch, push a button with the mouse on the computer, and have it send a series of macro commands to my DVD player presumably using an IR emitter.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this? I've seen some IR emitters that are controlled by the computer, but (1) I haven't seen one yet with macro capability and (2) all the ones I've seen basically have a GUI of a remote control itself, which wouldn't allow me to select "play", for example, from the jpeg of the movie itself.

Any help appreciated greatly!
Dave

rob-h

Second Unit
This is usually done through a r3232 serial port on the player (jukebox). There is software available that auto downloads the pictures and desriptions for most movies. If yours does not have a serial port, thats going to be one tough if not imposible project. You would have to write an application that would keep track of the players disc number after changing it. That might work fine if power stayed on, there were no buttons on the player, and there was no remote. The PC could not track the change if it did not do it itself. The way you want to do it, there is only one way communication.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks