What's new

Consumer Electronics Association writes up standards for sub specifications - finally (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
"Bravo CEA! Subwoofer Spec Should Even the Playing Field"

But while this definitely will help a person to choose a sub, using only numbers to pick one is not a good idea. Just like any loudspeaker, each sub has its own individual sound resulting from a myriad of sources i.e. cone material, surround material, motor design, sealed vs. ported vs. bandpass, the subtle sound differences of various amplifier designs, etc etc etc that numbers just cannot describe. And if you use your HT system for music playback this will be especially apparent.

The CEA is also working on clarifying specs for surround receiver amps and other confusing issues.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
"The CE industry has had enough."

And it only took them how many decades? I have to admit that I'm surprised this actually happened. More power to the consumer!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
It's definitely confusing trying to narrow down choices with all the wildly varying subwoofer specs out there. I hope they also have come up with a standardized sub amplifier specification - 100/200/etc watts for a full-range amp is one thing but when only 20Hz-150Hz is involved.....?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Stupidly about 10 years too late.

This is why I again don't put a lot of importance on specs. I look for actual test results. In terms of subs, our very own Ed J M does a fantastic and invaluable job. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks