What's new

Connecting subwoofer to a stereo-amplifier without pre-out for sub? (total beginner) (1 Viewer)

vane505

Auditioning
Real Name
Viggo
(I hope I've described my problem correctly, I'm a beginner when it comes to sound-systems). I just bought a pair of floorspeakers (Dali Concept 6) with an stereo-amplifier (NAD C320Bee) for a good price from a friend, and I'm interested in adding a subwoofer to the system. The amplifier has two pre-out-connections for left and right speaker, but not for a subwoofer. Is it possible to connect a subwoofer to the system with this amplifier? If so, how? Appreciate all help :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've never done it myself but most powered subs also have high-level (speaker wire) inputs so you would hook the right and left speaker outputs from the amp to the high-level inputs of the sub. You then hook the speaker outputs from the sub to the front left and right speakers. There's an adjusable crossover knob on the sub to split the bass off to the sub and the mid-bass/high frequencies to the speakers.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It all depends on the sub. Most, like the picture of the SVS below, have pre-amp inputs. You would connect the amp's pre-amp outputs to the sub's pre-amp inputs. Unlike using a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound receiver, your mains will still get a full range signal.

vane505

Auditioning
Real Name
Viggo
Thank you for your responses :) Is the low-level inputs the pre-amp inputs on the sub? I have pre-outputs on my receiver (not for sub), but they are somehow connected to main-inputs with some kind of bridge, don't know if I can or should remove these (don't know what they are for)? Is any of these two methods you both mentioned to prefer over the other (1: Speakers output >>> Subwoofer High Level input >>> Speakers Left & Right 2: Non-sub pre-outs from receiver >>> Subwoofers pre-input) or would both work equally well as the other?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think the pre-outs that you mention on your receiver (or is it an integrated amplifier) connect the processing part of it to the amplifier part. This is so you can add another device, like an equilizer, betwwen the processing section and the amplifier section. The best way to hook up a powered sub is with the rca style connection (pre-outs). That way the receiver does the bass management. Using the speaker level output means the sub does the BM. Better for the receiver to do it. And I don't think it would work for the pre-outs from your receiver, or integrated amp, because I think it would bypass the crossover in the sub.

vane505

Auditioning
Real Name
Viggo
Would connecting through high-level affect the quality of bass alot/noticebly? Also, I've found a website who describes a way to connect a sub through pre-out for stereo. Quote: "Use Y-Adapters to split the signals from the left and right preamp outputs. Connect one end of each Y-Adapter to left or right main amp input, (using a short RCA interconnect). Use proper lengths of shielded interconnects to connect the other ends of the Y-Adapters to the right & left inputs on the sub. (If using stereo subs you will run one interconnect to each sub). Your main speakers will receive a full range signal. To reduce low frequency content to your main amp and speakers, use optional High Pass Filters plugged into the main amp inputs." (http://www.audioc.com/library1/subsetupm.htm) This is a description for a specific line of subs (Maestro subs), but as I see it it should work for my amp/sub as well or am I mistaken? Again, appreciate your help!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I had an old integrated amp like that back in college. Just pull the little jumpers connecting the outputs to the inputs. Run your outputs to the sub amp listed above. See the outputs on the amp labeled High Pass Out? Those outputs have removed the bass from the signal. They can run back to the inputs on your amp. Now the crossover control on the sub amp takes care of the bass management. Not all amps have a high pass output. Some only have full range outputs. Some have inputs only with no outputs. It all depends on the sub. What subs are you looking at?

vane505

Auditioning
Real Name
Viggo
Thank you Robert, your post cleared up a lot for me. I'm living in Sweden, and there is a Swedish company called XTZ who makes the most well-sold and popular subs in the country. Unfortunetly the information is in Swedish, but at page 8 in the manual I've linked below there is an image of the rear which lists all the parts/connections and so on in english (it has high-pass outputs). It's a 10" sub that costs around 400$. http://www.xtz.se/custom/database/files/20110216150409-01.pdf

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It looks like that sub doesn't have any outputs, rca (low level) or speaker (high level), only inputs. So my idea wouldn't work either. How about hooking his main speakers directly to the amps speaker outputs and using one of the Tape Outs for the sub? Would that even work :confused: . The mains would run full range but without any outputs on the sub I think that's the best he could do.

vane505

Auditioning
Real Name
Viggo
Robert_J said:
it has high-pass outputs
I don't see any. Even if it doesn't, you can still use it but you can't filter the sub bass from your mains.
I think I misunderstood the illustration, I just read "High Pass" at number 7, but that seems to be something else, like a filter that can be activated to remove the lowest frequencies from the sub if it gets to dark. Would going without High Pass outputs affect the sound quality alot? EDIT: Gene, your'e right, don't know how I could miss that, thank you : O EDIT2: But I should still be able to do as the image illustrates above right, or am I wrong? The difference would then "just" be that the sub bass isn't filtered from my main speakers if I've understood it correctly.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, I would think using a Y-adapters from the Pre-Out with one end going to the Amp-In and the other going to the Subwoofer inpujt should work. The Fronts would receive a full-range signal as would the sub. I think you could then turn on (or off, not sure which :confused: ) the High-Pass Filter (#7) and use the subs crossover knob to filter out the high frequencies. At least I think that's what the high-pas filter is for. Again...:confused: this is really not my area of expertise. Hopefully Robert will set things straight.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, Y adapters would work. I tried that on my old amp. I also used a car audio electronic crossover to filter out the highs from my mains. An AC to DC power supply and a 2 way crossover cost about $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks