What's new

Connecting old HTIB speakers to new receiver (1 Viewer)

mddan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Hello All,
Apologizing in advance for being such a noob, I was wondering if this is possible. I had a Phillips HTIB and the DVD player died. So instead of going through the whole process over again, I decided to start buying individual components. I bought a Yamaha RX-V367 and Polk PSW10 sub and am shopping for a Bluray now. My question is, can I use the old Phillips speakers until I can get some more cash together to replace those? I removed the plastic connector (previously used for the HTIB) off the wiring but I cannot tell positive from negative as the wires are the same color. Is there a way to do this? I don't want to damage the new equipment.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Dan

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Use a battery. The you connect the + on the battery to the + wire (- to - as well) then the woofer will move out. If you connect it backwards, the woofer moves in.

What is the impedance of your HTiB speakers? Some systems have odd loads that may damage a normal receiver. Measure the resistance with a DMM. If it is 6 ohms or higher you are great. 4 ohms to 6 ohms and it will depend on what your Yammy supports. Below 4 and you are SOL. Let us know if you have questions.

mddan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Thanks Robert. Will any battery do? Also do you know where to find a low cost DMM? Also I checked the specs but can't find what the receiver supports for ohms.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=5117154&CTID=5000300&ATRID=1000&DETYP=ATTRIBUTE

Edit: I found the following info below. According to this info, can you let me know what impedance will/won't work regarding my current speakers?

Main Specifications
Audio Section
Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD)
Front Channels : 100 W/ch
Center Channel : 100 W
Surround Channels : 100 W/ch
Dynamic Power/Ch (Front Ch, 8/6/4/2 ohms) : 110/130/160/180 W
Input Sensitivity/Impedance (1 kHz, 100 W/6 ohms, CD) : 200mV/47 k-ohms
Output Level/Impedance Rec Out200 mV/1.2 k-ohmsSubwoofer : 1 V/1.2 k-ohms
Frequency Response : 10 Hz–100 kHz +0, -3 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion (1 kHz, 50 W/8 ohms) : 0.06%
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (CD, 250 mV) : 98 dB

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Lowes or Home Depot have some in their electrical section. I picked up one with an LCD monitor from Radio Shack almost 20 years ago for $15 that has had a LOT of miles put on it.

I'd use a C or D cell. If you have a 9v, do it quickly. You don't want to burn out any small wires. Not that it will, I'm just overly cautious about some things.

mddan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Thanks Robert, I was just out of town sans internet all week, but I'm headed to the depot tomorrow to give it a shot.

mddan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
3 ohms, damn. Looks like I need new speakers. Any suggestions for something that would pair with the above without breaking the bank? I am thinking about the Polk RM85s to go with the sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Find the owner's manual for your new receiver. If it supports 4 ohm speakers, you current speakers will be fine. 3 ohms of DC resistance translates to 4 ohms nominal impedance.

mddan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
The speakers had 3 ohms listed on the bottom of them, that's not from a reading. I think the receiver only supports 6 and 8 anyways. So I guess I'll just be shopping earlier than I hoped.

While I have you Robert, do you know the best way to connect the sub to the receiver? This particular sub has no lfe, just speaker lines and rca line in. Is there an adapter to go from the receiver's single "sub" out to the lines in?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just connect the LFE to either of the line inputs. Inside the sub amp, there is a circuit that sums the input into a single channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks