What's new

Hello, audiophiles and experts. Newer question on hooking up.... hardware advice/possibilities.... (1 Viewer)

SandmanXXX

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
I'm new here. I have scanned over the forums for awhile now, and don't see an answer to my questions, so here goes :

I have -
Samsung smart TV Q8 series (4k)
Optical input
HDMI 1-4:
-Roku box for streaming tv
-Samsung Bluray player (via RX-V367 amp)
-Chromecast
-NVR security cam system
(all 4 above using the 4 HDMI ports)

Now, I currently have a Yamaha RX-V367, 4 hdmi out 1-in, AV amp.
It works great for playing the dvd through the speakers, working as intended.
However, what I need/looking for, is an amp that will allow 4k passthrough without tying up the rest of the hdmi ports.
I know the RX-V367 is old. :) Back in the day, to accomplish what I want below, I would use 1 hdmi port on the tv for the amp/speakers, and another hdmi port on the tv for the cable/sat box.

Is there such a beast, preferably in Yamaha, where I can choose to play the roku or the chromecast either through the amp speakers, or else choose to play those through the tv speakers alone, using the same hdmi port on the tv? As well as using the DVD player? (I'm assuming that would be 4k passthrough)
I do not want to run the amp 24/7 with the TV, Just want the option to choose to use the 5.1 speaker or the tv speakers, while watching the roku. Amp is ok to be the only source of sound for the DVD. Or, is this too much to do without mortgaging the house? :)
Thanks!

Edit: wrong amp model-fixed.

Last edited:

SandmanXXX

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
After hours of searching, including the amp model, I may be resigned to upgrading this amp. :(

Sorry to repeat myself here, more for hoping to ease reading about-

Probably should/can add more to my situation, now that I -think- that this yamaha won't deal with 4k (maybe I'm wrong), so possibly an upgrade unit in my future. (400.00-ish? budget)

Hopefully this will help someone checking out my predicament/wants.

I currently have the above TV, Samsung QN55Q8F series, 4 hdmi ins, optical out, ARC on 1 HDMI
5.1 speaker system, Yamaha YST-SW012. 5 speakers, powered woofer, single small pin plug out - to current Yamaha RX-V367
Speakers work fine, well enough for my needs in the living room. (bookshelf speakers)

I use the Roku (newest, 4670X Ultra) for Hulu, the main source of tv watching -HDMI-1 to TV. No satellite, no cable here.
The Roku is also used for Plex, for movie watching, and some music listening.
Plex is on a home network, (NAS) with which I have extra cat5 connections to use if needed. Plex is the source of movies and some music, hopefully to get onto the 5.1 speaker system.
Just throwing in the network connection here, for reference to amp recommendations.
Home security cam system (lorex) - HDMI-3 to TV only. No sound, possible in the future.
Chromecast - HDMI-4 to TV.
Samsung blu-ray/4k dvd player (newer) hooked as HDMI-2 to RX-V367 amp, amp HDMI to TV HDMI-2.

Logitech harmony one, with hub, to switch inputs on the tv as needed.
Roku remote, the most used, for the roku box and controlling tv sound/power.

Everything above works through the TV, except the bluray player, which is only used with the amp on. That's acceptable.

What I'd like to have, is the option to listen to the Roku, therefore plex also, with amp/speakers or without the amp. Just the TV speakers.

From my old head, I imagine that would involve the amp getting just the sound to amplify to the speakers, as I can mute the TV if needed when the speakers are on (as I do now for blu-ray).
My wish is to not have to run the amp 24/7, or at least always when the tv is even on. However, if a newer amp will require it, I guess I'd have to.
I have a wife and an elderly mother in law, with whom I need to keep remote use simple, so using the current amp's foot long/50 button option is out. :)
As long as they can use the harmony one remote and the roku remote, that should be fine for the ladies. Myself, I can use it all, at least for setting up and tweaking. I build my own computers, but do not have a lot of experience in the audio/hooking up area.

Any further clarifications or questions, please ask!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, advice, and recommendations!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It looks like Yamaha call "HDMI passthrough" "Standby Through" on its later receivers; and it looks like the RX-V367 doesn't have it.
However, I did see this firmware update for your receiver, so you may want to get just for grins that if you haven't already (" Yamaha is pleased to offer the following firmware update to ensure the best possible performance and features for your Yamaha RX-V367/HTR-3063 AV Receiver. This firmware adds 3D video pass-through capability for the HDMI connections. In order to execute the update properly, read attached Installation Manual(PDF file) carefully. ":

Skipping right to a solution, it looks like the RX-685 does have the passthrough feature, and it's on sale at Amazon:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
A: Your receiver is ten years old, If you have a 4k tv or a 4k streaming box, or a UHD player, it won't work with your receiver properly anyway because of a copy protection codec Yamaha didn't properly implement until the X81 series four years ago. This is why soooooo many receivers have been Craig'sListed and Goodwill'd left and right. 90% of what was considered future proof in 2015 really wasn't,

But that's not the extent of your problems...

B: Yamaha...in their infinite wisdom got cheap with your receiver. They left out a feature called ARC from the RX-V367 specifically (the other X67s apparently have it). This allows the audio from the tv to go back to your receiver over bitstream using your HDMI out connection. The fact is, what you're trying to do is the result of having an intentionally borked receiver from 10 years ago. Dump that zero and get with a hero. You already got the speakers, The receiver is actually the cheap part.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If atmos isn't needed then a 385 is the most cost friendly model as far as Yamahas go.

Really, just about anything X81 and above will be 100% up to spec with current standards. The only major differences between the 81, 83, and 85s is of unit size and that the 385 runs entirely on banana inputs.

Last edited:

SandmanXXX

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
Thanks for your input so far!
Ok, for S&g's., lets assume I would go with the v685, which looks good to me, so far. How exactly would I hook this up? I'll assume that I have not hooked up my current setup correctly, so take me from step one, -just for the hdmi cabling-, and optical I/O, if needed or helpful to my setup.
I can handle the woofer and speakers :)
Thanks!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Plug all the external devices into the receiver, plug your receiver into the HDMI input with ARC. Assuming CEC is activated on all devices your box should do the switching on its own.

SandmanXXX

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
So this simple plugging in will allow the tv to run without the 685 being on? I don't mean to oversimplify, just that it's been soooo long since I last hooked this reciever up to where it is now. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Probably not. Not entirely at least.

I suggest you at least consider always using the receiver for audio. You can get a programmable remote to automate things. It’s just a lot simpler in the long run doing it that way.

SandmanXXX

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
Yes sir, the harmony one is the progammable remote. I can get that set up correctly pretty often :)

SandmanXXX

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
Pulled the trigger and ordered the RX-V685. Will be here the 8th or 9th. Anxious to get it set up and going.
Thanks to you guys for the input and advice! I'll ask here if I need anything else in this installation.
It seems so far, after reading up on thje 685 manual, that the reciever will need to be used at least in standby mode.

SandmanXXX

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
Ok, here's an update. 2 hours later, after starting to set it up, it's done. Got the TV working with and without the amp.
Using the roku box, and when switching from tv with receiver to tv withOUT reciever, there's a slight delay, then the tv speakers kick on.
Something else critical, I could not for quite awhile get any video or audio from the roku box. Ultimately, I had to go into advanced setup, on the amp itself, (not remote), and turn MON.CHECK to skip. The Roku immediately worked then, on the correct input. This is a known problem, which i read about elsewhere, on the roku forums.
The TV is connected to the ARC HDMI (4) on the tv to the HDMI 1 out (arc) on the reciever, then I have the blu-ray on HDMI 1, on rec, and the Roku box on HDMI 2 on the Rec. Standby through is set to on.
So the main question is answered, the roku will put sound/vid to only the TV when the rec. is on off(standby) mode.
In my case, I have the Harmony remote controlling switching things to be used, and I have 2 activities programmed to either play tv with or without rec., the bluray -with- amp. 4k tested, and they work, with or without rec.
I currently have hdmi control turned off on the rec.,, but I will be experimenting tomorrow night with that and how it affects things.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I currently have hdmi control turned off on the rec.,, but I will be experimenting tomorrow night with that and how it affects things.
A programmable remote with activities and such should eliminate the need for hdmi control. I'd leave it off. In fact, it will tend to mess up the remote, because it will change things without the remote knowing it, which will screw up the whole process.

SandmanXXX

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
it's been a long time, but I've been struggling with this. The hookups, or something, is not working right.
I suspect that the hdmi out, on the v685, is getting changed, although the remote is not even touched.
Let me revisit this.
What I need to do, in order to take care of the boss ladies of the house, is this.
Not pictured, Harmony hub remote, and roku and samsung dvd player, security camera NVR.

Run the TV and roku, and have the option of using the roku/tv with or without the amp/speakers. Roku remote turns on/off TV, tv sound. -have to use roku remote for this. tv remote not an option for these ladies :(
DVD player, hdmi, can/should use amp/speakers only.
Cameras NVR, hdmi, tv only, no amp needed.

I am suspecting that somehow the amp is doing something, as the harmony will get confused, and it always seems to get stuck on the amp. As the setup was, (which I took the amp out of the loop for now, working solid like that) - well, i don't know. Im just stuck as to what is dropping the signal after getting to the amp, and before the roku, whether the amp is used then or just passed through.
I can program the harmony remote pretty well, unless there's maybe a known code that needs to be passed I don't know about when switching (suspecting that as a possibility).
Seeing the inputs available, maybe someone can suggest something I'm just overlooking. My gut says something about the hdmi and arc doing something.
Possibly something with using the 2 hdmi amp outputs?

Attachments

• yamahaamp.jpg
    yamahaamp.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 89
  • SamsungQ8TVhdmi.jpg
    SamsungQ8TVhdmi.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 99

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
With an external receiver there should be only one thing plugged into your TV. The receiver itself. All other inputs should be going into the receiver.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
it's been a long time, but I've been struggling with this. The hookups, or something, is not working right.
I suspect that the hdmi out, on the v685, is getting changed, although the remote is not even touched.
Let me revisit this.
What I need to do, in order to take care of the boss ladies of the house, is this.
Not pictured, Harmony hub remote, and roku and samsung dvd player, security camera NVR.

Run the TV and roku, and have the option of using the roku/tv with or without the amp/speakers. Roku remote turns on/off TV, tv sound. -have to use roku remote for this. tv remote not an option for these ladies :(
DVD player, hdmi, can/should use amp/speakers only.
Cameras NVR, hdmi, tv only, no amp needed.

I am suspecting that somehow the amp is doing something, as the harmony will get confused, and it always seems to get stuck on the amp. As the setup was, (which I took the amp out of the loop for now, working solid like that) - well, i don't know. Im just stuck as to what is dropping the signal after getting to the amp, and before the roku, whether the amp is used then or just passed through.
I can program the harmony remote pretty well, unless there's maybe a known code that needs to be passed I don't know about when switching (suspecting that as a possibility).
Seeing the inputs available, maybe someone can suggest something I'm just overlooking. My gut says something about the hdmi and arc doing something.
Possibly something with using the 2 hdmi amp outputs?
You want all your media sources connected into the receiver's HDMI inputs, not the TV. There should only be 1 HDMI cable connected to the TV (I would use port 4 since it is the ARC port), and the 1st HDMI output of the receiver (it's ARC port).

You will then select a source with the receiver.

This is not strictly necessary, but how you have things connected right now is far more complicated. Run everything into the receiver, leave the TV on HDMI 4, choose whatever you want to watch with the receiver.

SandmanXXX

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
And this will result in being able to watch tv with the tv speakers sound alone, not the speakers?
The main goal I need to to be able to just use the TV alone, which will be over 70% of the time anyway.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And this will result in being able to watch tv with the tv speakers sound alone, not the speakers?
The main goal I need to to be able to just use the TV alone, which will be over 70% of the time anyway.
You have a receiver and a 5.1 setup. Why aren't the TV speakers disabled? :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks