Computer Audio Output Help

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by NathanL, Jul 23, 2003.

1. NathanL

NathanL Agent

I'm looking to intergrate my computer into my HT setup. I currently have a Pioneer VSX-D811S receiver. I was alittle confused about how to export 5.1 sound from my computer to my receiver. My sound card is a Sound Blast Live Value card but I'm going to buy a daughter board that gives it optical and coax. outputs. The thing I'm confused on is most of the sound cards I see say it exports S-PDIF. I looked up the defintion and this is what I found:

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...4_top1,00.html

My question is can my receiver receive that signal. I was thinking that maybe S-PDIR if just some technically name they don't mention much because I haven't seen it listed on a receivers anywhere as a feature or anything.

So will hooking up the optical cable from my comp to my receiver give me 5.1 Surround for DVD playback and games as long as I have the right software and use the optical cable?

2. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

1. Lookie ]here Creative Labs KB explaining how this is done.

2. I don't know how much that daughter board cost you, but I strongly suggest returning if you can and buying a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 to replace your aging Live! Value. It's an awesome sound card and has an AC3 SPDIF right on the card.

3. NathanL

NathanL Agent

I haven't bought the daughter board yet I was considering it. But maybe I will just buy a new sound card anyway. Thanks a lot for the tech link, I tried searching in there b4 but I guess I was searching the wrong thing :|.

Thanks again.

EDIT:
    This was what I was considering buying:
    http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...aincategory=10

but if I can't get it dirt cheap on ebay I'll just buy a new sound card

4. larry crimmins