What's new

Computer Audio Output Help (1 Viewer)

NathanL

Agent
I'm looking to intergrate my computer into my HT setup. I currently have a Pioneer VSX-D811S receiver. I was alittle confused about how to export 5.1 sound from my computer to my receiver. My sound card is a Sound Blast Live Value card but I'm going to buy a daughter board that gives it optical and coax. outputs. The thing I'm confused on is most of the sound cards I see say it exports S-PDIF. I looked up the defintion and this is what I found:

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...4_top1,00.html

My question is can my receiver receive that signal. I was thinking that maybe S-PDIR if just some technically name they don't mention much because I haven't seen it listed on a receivers anywhere as a feature or anything.

So will hooking up the optical cable from my comp to my receiver give me 5.1 Surround for DVD playback and games as long as I have the right software and use the optical cable?

Shane Morales

Second Unit
1. Lookie ]here Creative Labs KB explaining how this is done.

2. I don't know how much that daughter board cost you, but I strongly suggest returning if you can and buying a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 to replace your aging Live! Value. It's an awesome sound card and has an AC3 SPDIF right on the card.

NathanL

Agent
I haven't bought the daughter board yet I was considering it. But maybe I will just buy a new sound card anyway. Thanks a lot for the tech link, I tried searching in there b4 but I guess I was searching the wrong thing :|.

Thanks again.

EDIT:
This was what I was considering buying:
http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...aincategory=10

but if I can't get it dirt cheap on ebay I'll just buy a new sound card

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks