What's new

Yamaha Soundbar - Distortion on Loud Sounds with Blu-Ray Only? (1 Viewer)

nickt010

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Thompson
Hi all,

I have a Yamaha YAS-209 soundbar and I've noticed distortion on the loudest sounds when I play my Sony blu-ray player (BDP-BX38, kind of old at this point) through it.

The distortion only happens when using my blu-ray player, not when I plug my computer via HDMI into the soundbar or Bluetooth. Additionally, the distortion doesn't happen when I use other speakers with the blu-ray player - it seems to be something about the communication between the soundbar and the player.

The distortion only happens on the absolute loudest sounds - explosions, etc - but is there even when the volume is turned down low (it's not distorting just cause I have it turned up too high). You don't notice anything wrong until there is a really loud sound. So it almost seems to me like the input signal from the blu-ray is telling the sound bar to play a sound louder than it's capable of.

There's no native volume control on the blu-ray player, and there's no stereo audio track on the main disc I'm noticing this on (the new blu-ray of the film Heat). There's just the 5.1 DTS HD track. Is it possible for this type of audio track to have a dynamic range that the soundbar isn't capable of properly outputting?

Has anyone else had a similar issue, even with another sound bar? I'm wondering if it's possible that the soundbar I actually have is faulty and I should replace it with another of the same model. It's weird because this issue doesn't happen with other things I watch on it.

Apologies if this was posted before, I've looked around and haven't been able to find an answer. Customer support for both the sound bar and the blu-ray player were very unhelpful.

Thanks so much for any help!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to clarify, how are you connecting the BR player to the soundbar?

nickt010

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Thompson
Originally I connected it through HDMI. I've also tried connecting the blu-ray directly to my TV through HDMI, and then running a Digital Audio Out cable from the TV to the soundbar. Both with the same results.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The fact it happens at any volume level has me baffled. That indicates the output of the player is too high, which simply shouldn't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks