What's new

Component Closet Electrical Wiring (1 Viewer)

Mike Ki

Agent
Not sure how to wire this so hopefully someone can help me. I'm running a separate circuit from the control panel to the component closet, and then to a plug in the ceiling for the projector. My question is, for the component closet, do I just put in one receptacle and then plug in a power surge protector to it, and run my components from it. Or do I wire 4 or 5 receptacles in the closet, then put some type of power surge protector on them.
Thanks Mike

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Hi Mike,

If at all possible, it would be best to run two lines from your panel, one for your components and one for your projector (of course, if your panel can handle the additional amps). In my case, I had the electrician run three lines to my rack area for all my gear. I had two lines run for component power and one line for lighting.

Hope that makes sense. In any case, you should protect each of your lines with some sort of conditioner / spike protector.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Andrew

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
What is a recommended conditioner / protector that will incorporate nicely with a ceiling mounted projector? Something low profile I would guess...
Thanks!

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Eric,

Monster Cable makes a single outlet surge protector that a lot of guys use for their ceiling projectors. I use a Belkin single outlet surge protector for my TV and it's been no problem so far.

Here's a link to the Monster product Monster Product

MikeWelsh

Auditioning
I use a Hubbell HBL5260SA. This is a 15 amp surge protector outlet, blue in color with an led alarm. You can get them with different alarms, colors and amperages. It also works well for computers. You should be able to buy them at an electrical wholesaler (Graybar) for under $30.00. I would also recommend a surge protector in the main electrical panel and any sub-panels. You can usually get them at Home Depot for around $50.00.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Panamax has several UL listed products designed for this. The first is a recessed outlet with basic surge protection. It has a removable panel where you can terminate or passthrough your audio and video cables. if you were using this product you would have the electrician put an outlet in your equipment closet and then run another 12 gauge wire from that outlet to this. MSRP is around $50. They make for a very clean install and I highly recommend them (and use it myself).

http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?...il&id=219&ly=h

The second option is more expensive (around $300 MSRP), but is better if you are planning on using a high end surge protector. It consists of two ends, and the electical cable to tie them together. You then plug your projector into one end, and plug the other end into your surge protector. This is a very simplified explanation, and I would recommend reading the technical specs on Panamaxs website. I also use several of these (projector, bedroom TV, family room TV). They make for a clean install and make sense if you are investing money in a good surege protector. Recommended.

http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?...il&id=221&ly=h

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I like that first one (second is nice too but is 6x the cost...). Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks