1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with noise from amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Botvinick, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

I am having trouble with my outlaw 1050. I am getting a loud hum that seems to be in the low frequencies. I have checked and checked again to make sure my speakers are set up correctly. I recently moved my 1050 into the equipment closet in my home theater. And now I get the hum.

Here is my setup:

Front/Left and Right are Def Tech speakers’ 2002 series. I have them mid and highs jumped and the sub is from my Left and Right RCA pre amp out from the 1050. The center channel is not using RCA, mid, high and low are all jumped.

I have two speakers mounted on the wall for right and left rears.

I have two speakers in the wall for center surround. I have these speaker’s wires twisted together to run the speakers in “parallel”? and I switched the Ohms on the back of the amp.
    (This was all months ago done Before I moved the equipment last week and did not get the hum (Noise) until after I moved the equipment)

Panasonic DVD player with toslink and component cables going directly to the projector.

Direct TV with S video and RCA for sound going though the 1050 to the projector

Proxima LCD projector.

What has changed is that I ran new electrical to a closet. Then I connected all the equipment (except speakers) to this new power outlet. The power runs close to the 4 rear channel speaker wires that come down from the ceiling.

The noise I am getting I can hear through the front Left and Right subs and especially through the rear center speakers. The center Main I cannot hear it real well.

The loud hum from the rear center speakers is there EVEN when I turn off
    the 6.1 switch. This is why I think that something is wrong with the amp.

Any advice I would appreciate it.

Michael Botvinick

2. Martin Jiang

Martin Jiang Agent

I got the same thing after I bought an external amp hooking to the 1050. I am pretty sure its a ground loop problem. as soon as I unplug the preamp rca input the buzzing sound goes away. I plan to buy a power conditioner and also a quietline made by audioprism and plug everything in one outlet. Hope that can solve the problem

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well to 'sort of' rule out the amp, run the power back into your original outlet where you had no problem. also fwiw, what happens if you disconnect the cable from the tv or satellite from your equipment? lastly, did you do the wiring yourself?

4. Michael Botvinick

Thanks,

I tried discounting everytihing one at a time to find the source, but it did not help. This included the RCA pre amp out.

I did do the wiring myself.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well if you can run an extension cord back to where life was good. if all is ok, why not just switch things back at the breaker box...that means switching the connections at the breaker (old breaker to new wires, new breaker to old wires). make sense?

6. Michael Botvinick

Thanks everyone,

I found it. It was the direct TV sending out a 60hz noise. I disoiuncteced the s video from the amp, and it was gone. It is now connected directly to the projector.
    The gang at Outlaw was very helpful and patient.