What's new

I am done....almost! (1 Viewer)

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
Started this in January. I bought this home 2 1/2 years ago and having a basement where I could put a theater in was a priority for me. Home was built in the 1940's, rock solid. Basement ceilings are about 8 ft or so. Theater room is roughly 13'2 x 21'. Walls insulated with R-13 and ceiling with R-19. 5/8 drywall throughout. Projector and receiver are on dedicated circuits. I was very fortunate in my brother in law helped with the framing, a friend of my father did the electrical. Total bill for the basement from him was $290 and a lot of that was in materials. He is 80 years old and we did more talking then work most days but he did it for the activity and I gained a friend out of it :) Great man. Insulating I did myself...drywall I did 90% of. I used 16 gauge for speaker wire and it is all run through pvc terminating in a small area offset to the right front of the screen..totally hidden and no light from the components distracts. Dricore floor, heavy pad and burgandy carpet. I have the AE900U for a projector and couldn't be happier, my first. I have never built anything on this scale so it was fun, long, cost more and I sit sometimes and look at the progression pictures of it all and feel pretty good about it! One thing you cannot see from the pictures is a small open area outside of the room that is a big closet basically, without a door that I will have shelving made for my media. I have about 300 dvds currently. I have only 2 can lights in this room and they are in the soffit right above the main seating..the only seating I currently have down there. I like the idea of a smooth solid ceiling overhead with no holes in it..seems to really keep the sound in the room and out of the rest of the house. I am amazed at how quiet it is with a movie playing.

The paint was another deal...used a friend of my dad...different friend who has an account at Sherman Williams, most of the paint I saw there was like $29 a gallon....$11 with this account. I used flat black on the ceiling and flat "plum brown" on the walls...looks black with the lights off and I have 100% light control in this room. I still have some touch up paint to finish...speaker wire to terminate to the wall plates, door trim and get the screen painted...its just primed lol, looks great however. I use Home Theater Direct speakers and love them myself for the price. I am embarrassed to mention my receiver but it does 5.1 and seems to do the job well...had it for years. Once the new receivers come out with DolbyHD and the such I will upgrade...still quietly waiting for the BD vs HD thing to settle down a bit. One thing I would have done different is Dricore recommends tapcon to every other panel around the perimeter and one in the middle which I did...wished I had done a few more panels as I notice a few that creek ever so slightly...obviously not a big deal and when I point it out my friends just look at me but you know...when you build something you notice the faults right away. In any case its not much but I feel I did most things right for a first timer, single dad and my 4 year old princess sits next to me, we eat popcorn and watch Nemo...over and over and over......so life is good :)

I have 23 pictures up in the gallery...I am not sure how to link to it...it is under "RonR" ...Thanks

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you...I am kind of the Special Olympics of the internet using links and whatnot :)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Looks great. Nice an cozy. Reminds of my first home theater. My system has receinded a bit due to different living situations. But yours reminds me a lot of my set up before I had to shrink things down a bit.

Very nice.

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Congratulations on getting a home theater. Nothing like a front projection system to make a home theater experience.

I would suggest moving the speakers away from the walls and moving the couch away from the rear wall. Causes too much bass reinforcement on both counts.

Try it and let us know if you notice an improvement. Good Luck!

Real Name
Andrew Smith
Very nice. Love the color - ambience. Right now my wife and I are in a condo. I've been told that as soon as we move into a house I can begin focusing on building my dream theater / listening room!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
(My wife loves audio / video)

Great Job

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks