What's new

Component cable help: Monster Cable or.... (1 Viewer)

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
Acoustice Research or Bettercables.com?
I'm deciding on cables for the component connection between my TV and the DVD player. I was at BestBuy and couldn't decide (i.e. tell the difference looking at the two cables in the package) between the Acoustic Research component video cables and the Monster Cables. Both seem to offer the same thing except that the AR cables are $30 for 6 feet of cable and the Monster is $70 for 6.2 feet. Am I missing something that Monster is offering?
Then there's the Bettercables.com Silver serpent component cables which I hear tons of good things about. The only thing is they are really expensive...$100 for 3.3 feet of cable or $120 for 6.6 feet of cable.
If you've used/seen any of these cable and/or think the Monster or Bettercables are worth or not worth the extra cost over the AR please reply.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Ed

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Ed I quite like the AR cables for decent quality bang for the buck cables but if you can spend a little more I'd highly recomend you check out the component cables at http://www.catcables.com
[Edited last by Andrew Pratt on August 06, 2001 at 12:05 PM]

J

John Coleman

Ed,
I work for a premium audio and video cable company, Cobalt Cable, and I can definitely give you my "educated" opinion.
For a component video cable, I put a premium on bandwidth characteristics and build quality. Component video (especially when getting into higher-resolution digital sources) can be very demanding on cables (especially in longer runs), which is why I try to put my best foot forward with it. I find that the component cable is my best ROI cable, meaning that absolute performance will result in visually apparent gains. However, with a subwoofer cable, for example, I usually do not put as high of a priority on it. Namely this is because signals are usually a partial channel situation (bass only), thus I do not put as high of a performance premium on it.
Having said that, I have used several AR cables, and I find their price/performance ratio to be top-notch. However, for this type of application, I would go with Better Cables. I have personally used several of their cables as well, and I can definitely vouch for their excellent build quality, performance, and customer service. Also, their relative "value" when compared to more exotic cables is still quite good.
If their price point is still too high, there are several other manufactures in the middle of the two. For example, I have also had very good performance, as well as "bang for the buck" with Radio Shack's Gold Series.
I could go on about cables all day, but I am certain I have gone on enough. If you have any further questions about cables or connections, please feel free to e-mail me privately. I am more than happy to assist you however I can. I hope this helped.
------------------

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew, thanks for replying. I haven't heard of Catcables before. I'll take a look at them too. And thanks for the coupon info! It's good to know that there recommendations for non-Monster cables too.
John, really good info. Thanks. You and Andrew said it best with "bang for the buck" statement. And another recommendation for Bettercables.com...great to hear that too, but the bettercables' cost keeps getting me (wish they still had their Ultra series available). I'm more a middle of the road, as opposed to high vs low end. I'll take a look at Radio Shacks gold series, they may work well for me.
Thanks again,
Ed

J

John Coleman

Ed,
It is my pleasure to assist you however I can. As I said, there are a few other high-quality a/v cable manufacturers that are in the middle of AR and Better Cable's Silver line. Let me know, private e-mail is just fine, if you want any other recommendations. Thanks.
John
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks