What's new

Component cable connection... Question (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm posting this for a friend...

He claims to have just picked up component cables from monster and is running them from his DVD player to a Sony KV-32FS320, but that his black levels have a green hue to them now that he wasn't seeing with S Video.

He says that black & white movies register a green tint in the image.

Any idea what this could be about or what's causing the unwanted effect?

Is it just cheap cables... or does he need to calibrate his set and adjust the grayscale tracking and colors?

Thanks.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
You sure it's not just the brand of cable?

I've read less than stellar reviews of Monster connections on these forums in the past...

I don't think it's a physical connection issue, I'm pretty sure he would have aptly checked that.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Monster actually does make perfectly decent cables, they are just overpriced. The cable is probably either damaged or not connected properly.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Carefully check the colors at both connections. Make sure the green->green, red->red and blue->blue. Sudden color shift after upgrading to component is almost always a blue stuck in a green and vice versa.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

thats what i was going to say. the blue/green look extrememly similar on the back of a 32 inch sony. i know i use to have one. i would double check that, if everything is properly connected try the component video out on the dvd player. if both are connected correctly, i would recommend trying the cables on a different tv. that way you can see if it is the cables or possibly the inputs on the tv or outputs on the dvd player that are causing the issue.

chris_everett

Second Unit
Make sure they are actual component video cables and not composite video + stereo audio. Some of those cables use different wires for the three and that can lead to some odd results.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Marco, I'm having exactly the same issue with my new SONY KD-27FS170; there's a very subtle green tint in the darker regions of the image. Many different cables and connection checks later, and I'm still having the same problem.

It isn't terribly explicit, and it took me a while to notice it after I connected the set. It was after I viewed the image in the other modes via composite and S-video that I began to think something was up; they just don't show that same hint of green.

Now I'm beginning to suspect the component-specific settings in the user mode might need a tweak. Have you found anything out about this since posting? Any tips or advice? I could definitely use some pointers.

Thanks,

--Jack

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Marco:

After doing some research online--so I was sure it could be done safely--I entered my new SONY's service mode and discovered that, yes, there is a serious discrepancy in the way the grey scale is set up in component mode: the green cut was cranked about 15 points higher than in the other modes. Other differences were subtle, so I just used the alternate calibration and that corrected the problem. Later, I finessed it, bringing the green cut down even further; I did an "accurate" job, comparing the SONY against a calibrated JVC, and everything fell into place with this one change; my picture has improved dramatically.

I never really felt cables could be the problem (though I did switch them a couple times, just to be sure). Three years ago, I bought a JVC television and it evidenced a similar issue with problem greens (and overcranked reds), but in composite, not component mode; component was perfect. But because I had to use composite for an old satellite receiver, I needed to tweak those settings as well. That was a bit of a longer session as I had to school myself on what did what. Eventually, though, I got it in line with my Panasonic, which had perfect color.

I just cannot believe the factory settings on some of these contemporary sets. They aren't just off, they're way, way off. I've read accounts of people returning their new tvs left and right because they assume that it's a case of bad hardware, bad quality, and it leaves them soured on the brand. They return the set, buy another make and--in many instances--are no happier with the new units.

At any rate, if you'd like some tips on how to remedy this problem, I can offer some "proceed at your own risk style" advice.

--Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks