What's new

Compatability Question (1 Viewer)

JohannW

Auditioning
Real Name
Johann Weissgerber
I bought a really bad home theatre in a box a few years ago. I want to upgrade it slowly, starting with the receiver. So I've got enough money at this point to buy a receiver and I've seen some deals that look pretty good. If I use the speakers that came with the old package (I think they're 40w a piece), but the receiver outputs 100w per channel is it going to break? I wont be playing them louder then I was before because at the moment they are in a small room.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So long as you don't drive the receiver beyond its capabilities (into distortion), it is unlikely anything bad will happen, unless the impedance of the speakers is low, but odds of that are virtually zip. BTW, you probably won't get much if any perceivable improvement with a new receiver. Better speakers is another matter.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Johann,

Indeed, as long as you play it just as loud as you did before, your speakers will not be in any danger.

Even a bit louder will most probably not hurt them.

Buying a good receiver is a neat first step to a beter system. Your audio may already sound a bit cleaner and more precise than it did before. As John said: better speakers may be the next step. If your current system doesn't have a good subwoofer (or rather a subparwoofer :) ), you might then consider adding a reasonable sub first, before changing the rest of the speakers.

Good luck with your project!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks