Coming Soon From Olive Films

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MisterLime, May 26, 2011.

1. Timothy E

Timothy E Screenwriter
    Reviewer

Timothy Ewanyshyn
    I have had Operation Petticoat and Love Happy at the top of my want list. I am thrilled to see another Golden Age 3-D title released, and I will preorder Dragonfly Squadron as well.

2. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    I'd never heard of DRAGONFLY SQUADRON, so I looked it up. It's a Korean War air combat movie. According to IMDB it was never released in 3-D. It's got a great cast: John Hodiak, Barbara Britton, Bruce Bennett, Gerald Mohr, Chuck Connors, Harry Lauter, Fess Parker, Adam Williams, John Lupton, Benson Fong.

However, the sole review on IMDB is pretty harsh, coming from, apparently, an aviation buff:

3. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Makes sense considering 3-D's popularity was plummeting by the time it got released.

Gotta say, 3-D might actually add new life to this film. I don't think there has been a 3-D 50s war film released on blu-ray yet and Paramount/Olive going through the trouble of presenting it is a pretty big plus.

4. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    From AFI Catalog on Dragonfly Squadron. "Although a DV news item of 14 Dec 1953 reported that a 3-D release of Dragonfly Squadron would be tested during four bookings early in 1954, it has not been established that the film played any 3-D engagements. Its Los Angeles opening in Jan 1954 was in a "flat" version." Would love for Bob F to give us some background. As a fan of the 50's 3D films, it will be a first day purchase for DRAGONFLY SQUADRON.

5. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    It played in 3D for the first time in 2013 World 3-D Movie Expo:

6. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

Mr. Steigman,Any idea how GIRLS TOWN could have ended up at Lionsgate? As an MGM theatrical release in 1959, I'd have expected it to end up under the Warner banner.Does Lionsgate control any particular film libraries?Meanwhile, some really great titles are expected from Olive next year!

7. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    I suspect Girl's Town an oddball exception that previously had an independent production copyright. So is it really Lionsgate, or was it only Lionsgate in the past via the Republic library?

As far as pre-80s libraries, the only major one I can think of is Studio Canal (in North America at least). Republic used to be Lionsgate's primary "classic" library before Olive came along. Most of Lionsgate's current library consists of far more recently made films.

8. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Here's the trailer:

Don't let one review on IMDB discourage you, it's a pretty good film and the 3-D is excellent.

While filmed in dual 35mm Polaroid 3-D in August 1953, interest in the process had greatly diminished and DRAGONFLY SQUADRON was released flat only in March 1954. For decades, historians and film buffs believed the original left and right elements were long gone and considered this film a "lost" 3-D title, never to be seen by anyone. Until now.The 3-D Film Archive has found the lost elements and will present this Golden Age 3-D feature for the first time in the original stereoscopic 1.66:1 widescreen version. We are performing a complete 2K digital restoration utilizing the left/right camera negatives and master 35mm fine grains. This restored HD 3-D version is better than ever before as a result of shot by shot stereoscopic digital correction and alignment techniques.

9. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    I read this in a forum about what MST3K versions of movies could wind up on home video from Shout Factory. the person who made the most wrote Lionsgate (he is pretty much spot on with most of who has what ) / and I also read it on a Facebook forum that someone requested the movie and a response was Lionsgate. Thats about all I can see. It does say MGM in the studios though.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052850/companycredits
    http://forrestcrow.proboards.com/thread/6297/likelihood-shout-factory-release-list?page=1
    Girls Town Lionsgate/Republic Entertainment.

10. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Joe, this is not coming from Paramount. 3-D Film Archive own the rights on this title.

Here's the original one sheet:

Dragonfly.jpgweb.jpg

The only other Golden Age 3-D title dealing with the Korean War was Hal Wallis' production of CEASE FIRE. It's an excellent stereoscopic production and hopefully Olive will consider licensing the rights from Paramount.

Doug Bull likes this.
  11. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

Thanks to those who have addressed GIRLS TOWN. If Lionsgate truly owns it, I suppose it will never appear on DVD or Blu-ray. I was hoping that Olive or Warner Archives owned it.

12. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    The Beat Generation aired on TCM a while back and looked pretty good.

Another wacky Zugsmith film I'd like to is College Confidential, with a classic line of dialogue from Mamie Van Doren; "I told him that my mind is an open, but empty, book." The cast includes Steve Allen, Jayne Meadows, Walter Winchell, Conway Twitty, Rocky Marciano, and Bing Crosby's niece, Cathy Crosby.

13. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Very glad and slightly relieved to see that Fedora is top of that list. I hope that means it will be one of the first to appear.

14. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    Glad to see things have worked out with Bob and Olive.

15. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    Lots of 53-55 films in these new acquisitions. Hopefully Bob will be able to help make sure they're all presented correctly.

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  16. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    I'm late getting to this thread. This is news to start the day with. Thank you, Bob!! :dancing-banana-04:

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  17. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

Richard, COLLEGE CONFIDENTIAL is Universal, so it's less likely to show up. I fear that it and GIRLS TOWN will remain among the missing.

18. MisterLime

MisterLime Insider
    Insider

Scott
    Coming Soon From Olive Films - Just Announced

Volume Three:
    MINNIE THE MOOCHER (1932)
    I’LL BE GLAD WHEN YOU’RE DEAD YOU RASCAL YOU (1932)
    MOTHER GOOSE LAND (1933)
    THE OLD MAN OF THE MOUNTAIN (1933)
    I HEARD (1933)
    HA! HA! HA! (1934)
    STOP THAT NOISE (1935)
    SERVICE WITH A SMILE (1937)
    THE NEW DEAL SHOW (1937)
    BE UP TO DATE (1938)
    OUT OF THE INKWELL (1938)
    PUDGY IN THRILLS AND CHILLS (1938)

Attached Files:

19. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    A very good list with plenty of interest for me.

Fedora is also being released on blu-ray by Carlotta in France in February 2014.

20. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

GIRLS TOWN is, far as I've found, indeed in the Republic library; it and HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL were both initially MGM releases produced by Albert Zugsmith, and both films reverted to his control in the '70's. If Lionsgate was credited, it dates back to when they handled the Republic library.So it would be appropriate to petition Olive for a release.