What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (2 Viewers)

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the detective work, Mark.

Mr. Lime, could you please ask Olive if GIRLS TOWN (1959, Albert Zugsmith) is a possibility for a future Blu-ray/DVD release? It's arguably the most entertaining film from the Zugsmith library.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
Bob Furmanek said:
Joe, this is not coming from Paramount. 3-D Film Archive own the rights on this title.

Here's the original one sheet:

attachicon.gif
Dragonfly.jpgweb.jpg

The only other Golden Age 3-D title dealing with the Korean War was Hal Wallis' production of CEASE FIRE. It's an excellent stereoscopic production and hopefully Olive will consider licensing the rights from Paramount.

do you need 3d glasses to watch the movie or is this an ordinary dvd.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Is King Kong 1976 still with Paramount ? Or did it go to Warner or could Olive films acquire it ?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
John Doe said:
Well Paramount owns the films, though it is very likely WB currently has the current distribution rights through its recent sub-licensing deal with Paramount for an unknown timeframe. I mean, why hasn't WB done the obvious thing and release the 1933 and 1976 film as a double feature blu-ray? Is Paramount still dragging its heels on the HD transfer?

At first I assumed there was some 9/11 related reason why this isn't on blu-ray, but the DVD was re-issued in 2005, so who knows.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
David Steigman said:
Is King Kong 1976 still with Paramount ? Or did it go to Warner or could Olive films acquire it ?
Warner has a three license agreement with Paramount. One year has passed so there are two years left. We should see a lot of the OOP titles released next year. I feel that the agreement will be extended.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was wondering about why this one hasnt made it to blu ray...it might not be the best film ever, but it's certainly a well known film and good enough to give a blu ray release :)
I did get the French one but would rather have a USA blu ray of it

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
MisterLime said:
Flying Disc Man From Mars (1950) – The Invisible Monster (1950)
Two post-war Republic Serials with short running times (167 minutes each) While "Flying Disc Man From Mars" is a classic, "The Invisible Monster" is a weaker one.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
David Steigman said:
Just buy the French edition, it has an english language soundtrack, it's Region A,B and C and the menu can be set up in english and no enforced subtitles, image quality looks quite good too and it's only 13.68 Euro's to buy.

If you do buy the French edition a review at that other site says you can choose Japan from the menu and get all the extra features in NTSC, deleted scenes, making of feature etc etc, no idea if this works but the site mentions it.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I did get the French one, but if a USA Blu Ray comes Id replace the French one if its an improvement :)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I was checking Import CDs today to see the list of upcoming Olive Blu-rays, and I discovered that the prices are going up. Titles which I bought a few months ago for $14.19 plus shipping are now $18.87 plus shipping. They aren't taking pre-orders for the April releases yet, but they have posted the prices - $23.06 plus shipping! That's a pretty hefty increase, particularly considering the slow shipping.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Richard Gallagher said:
I was checking Import CDs today to see the list of upcoming Olive Blu-rays, and I discovered that the prices are going up. Titles which I bought a few months ago for $14.19 plus shipping are now $18.87 plus shipping. They aren't taking pre-orders for the April releases yet, but they have posted the prices - $23.06 plus shipping! That's a pretty hefty increase, particularly considering the slow shipping.
This will force me to buy only the titles I really need to have and probably from Amazon.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Richard Gallagher said:
Not good news. But expected.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Robert Crawford said:
This will force me to buy only the titles I really need to have and probably from Amazon.
Likewise. I've been willing to live with some of Olive's lesser transfers when I could get them for about $16 including shipping, but I'll be thinking twice before spending $25. Maybe Import CDs will reconsider if they see their sales volume take a hit. For now I probably will order only two of the April releases, and most likely from Amazon.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I've been getting my Olive Blu rays from two different sources over the last few years . Here in the Northeast we have a chain of stores called the Bullmoose . Mostly located in Maine and NH . They also have an online store . They sell the Olive Blu rays for the same price as the DVD $19.98 ea . They also have free shipping over $25 . Also I buy them from Barnes and Noble when I get coupons . I got Body and Soul,Plunder Road ,Tam Lin and Invasion of the Bodysnatchers all for $14 ea with coupons in December . The Bullmoose also sells used Olives . I just bought Touch of Evil for $10 this week when I stopped in their Salem NH store . They also sell used online .

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
DeWilson said:
Two post-war Republic Serials with short running times (167 minutes each) While "Flying Disc Man From Mars" is a classic, "The Invisible Monster" is a weaker one.
Does this mean that Olive Films reconsidered their stance on the Republic serials or could they be cut-downs?

I don't see why they couldn't release at least The Adventures of Captain Marvel and Spy Smasher since they're copyrighted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks