What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JoHud said:
All of the films previously owned by the Hope Estate (and are now PD) definitely need some serious remastering and/or restoration. Outside of the UCLA restored Son of Paleface and Road to Rio the rest are in some pretty serious need of updating. The Shout! Factory sets really just repackaged the same PD transfers we'd been seeing for over a decade (expect Paris Holiday, strangely enough).

Hopefully these hope films get their due sometime in the future.
Only My Favorite Brunette and Road to Bali are public domain. The Shout Factory release of The Lemon Drop Kid contained a much improved transfer over that which had previously shown up on the Brentwood/BCI sets. Son of Paleface is the same transfer as in the Brentwood sets and it looks great for a DVD (Robert Harris singled it out for praise years ago in a review on the Digital Bits). The title I would most like to see updated is The Great Lover, which has looked terrible in all prior releases.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Those others are under copyright? Wouldn't know it considering how shabby many of them look, aside from the usual good ones. Must have not seen the Lemon Drop Kid transfer. Glad that one also managed to be an exception. At least there seems to be some very gradual improvement between the Brentwood set and the Shout! Factory. The Great Lover and The Seven Little Foys still remains among the worst looking however.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
OLIVE FILMS is proud to announce the following NEW acquisitions. All of these films will be released on DVD and BLU in 2014:

Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) Comedy/Drama
Dir: Robert Altman – Cher, Sandy Dennis, Karen Black, Kathy Bates
••••••••••••
Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951) Adventure
Dir: William Marshall – Errol Flynn, Vincent Price, Agnes Moorehead
••••••••••••
Man of Conquest (1939) Epic Historical Drama / Western
Dir: George Nichols – Richard Dix, Gail Patrick, Joan Fontaine, George “Gabby” Hayes
••••••••••••
The Private Life of Bel Ami (1947) Drama
Dir: Albert Lewin – George Sanders, Angela Lansbury, Ann Dvorak, John Carradine
••••••••••••
Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) Film Noir
Dir: Robert Siodmak – George Sanders, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Ella Rains
••••••••••••
Track the Man Down (1955) Film Noir
Dir: R.G. Springsteen – Kent Taylor, Petula Clark, George Rose
••••••••••••
A Black Veil For Lisa (1968) Gialo Horror
Dir: Massimo Dallamano – John Mills, Luciana Paluzzi
••••••••••••
The Eternal Sea (1955) War Drama
Dir: John H. Auer – Sterling Hayden, Alexis Smith, Dean Jagger, Virginia Grey
••••••••••••
Hell's Five Hours (1958) Film Noir
Dir: Jack L. Copeland – Stephen McNally, Coleen Gray, Vic Morrow
••••••••••••
No Man's Woman (1955) Film Noir
Dir: Franklin Adreon – Marie Windsor, John Archer, Nancy Gates
••••••••••••
The Quiet Gun (1957) Western
Dir: William F. Claxton – Forrest Tucker, Lee Van Cleef, Mara Corday, Jim Davis
••••••••••••
Stranger at My Door (1956) Western
Dir: William Witney – Macdonald Carey, Patricia Medina, Skip Homeier, Slim Pickins
••••••••••••
Flying Disc Man From Mars (1950) Serial/Science Fiction
Dir: Fred C. Brannon – Walter Reed, Lois Collier, Gregory Gaye
••••••••••••
The Invisible Monster (1950) Serial/Horror
Dir: Fred C. Brannon – Richard Webb, Aline Towne, Lana Bradford
••••••••••••
The Beat Generation (1959) Crime Drama/Rock-N-Roll
Dir: Charles F. Haas – Steve Cochran, Mamie Van Doren, Ray Danton, Louis Armstrong, Jackie Coogan, Vampira, James Mitchum
••••••••••••
The Big Operator (1959) Crime Drama/Rock-N-Roll
Dir: Charles F. Haas – Mickey Rooney, Steve Cochran, Mamie Van Doren, Mel Torme, Ray Danton, Jim Backus, Jackie Coogan, Vampira
••••••••••••
The Shanghai Story (1954) Film Noir
Dir: Frank Lloyd – Ruth Roman, Edmond O’ Brien, Richard Jaekel, Whit Bissell
••••••••••••
The Weapon (1956) Thriller
Dir: Val Guest – Steve Cochran, Lizabeth Scott, Herbert Marshall, Nicole Maurey
••••••••••••
Woman They Almost Lynched (1953) Western
Dir: Allan Dwan – John Lund, Brian Donlevy, Joan Leslie
••••••••••••
World For Ransom (1954) Film Noir
Dir: Robert Aldrich – Dan Duryea, Gene Lockhart, Reginald Denny

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming Soon From Olive Films - Just Announced

Attachments

• April_1.jpg
    April_1.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 37

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sleep My Love means I can retire my Import

I wish I had heard of that long list of movies, these look like more renters so I can decide which ones I want to own...
The Giallo sounds most intriguing !

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
When I saw Olive back at the top of the subjects, I expected it was another post regarding the absence of release news and what is what with Olive . . . what a nice surprise to discover a long list of new titles (Altman, Siodmak, Witney, Guest, Aldrich, noirs, crime, serials, rock'n-roll!) as well as cover art for Mann and Sirk! Now I can stop worrying and begin saving money.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
MisterLime said:
OLIVE FILMS is proud to announce the following NEW acquisitions. All of these films will be released on DVD and BLU in 2014:

Man of Conquest (1939) Epic Historical Drama / Western
Dir: George Nichols – Richard Dix, Gail Patrick, Joan Fontaine, George “Gabby” Hayes
••••••••••••

••••••••••••
Woman They Almost Lynched (1953) Western
Dir: Allan Dwan – John Lund, Brian Donlevy, Joan Leslie
••••••••••••
World of Ransom (1954) Film Noir
Dir: Robert Aldrich – Dan Duryea, Gene Lockhart, Reginald Denny
Wow, what a great list! I'm esp. excited about the three above. I've seen MAN OF CONQUEST and it's quite good. It's an early film about Sam Houston (played by Richard Dix) and it includes Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie and President Andrew Jackson as supporting characters, including a recreation of the Alamo. This had a bigger budget than usual for Republic Pictures. There must be earlier films about the Alamo or about the men involved in that battle, but I've never seen them and can't tell you offhand what they might be. Definitely a must-have!

WORLD FOR RANSOM - Aldrich's second feature and it's based on the "China Smith" TV series. I saw it once on 16mm some 40 years ago, but I can't recall much about it. I sure want to see it again.

WOMAN THEY ALMOST LYNCHED - a high-powered female western that I've never seen, with Kate Quantrill a major character. Very big among a certain class of auteurists.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Holy....that is one trove of obscure titles. I don't think any of these ever made it to DVD, heck the majority probably never made it to VHS. Very excited about these. And two serials?? and a Republic western not starring John Wayne?? You guys are really reaching out to the unsung classics.

Mispelled the last one, it should be World for Ransom. I watched that one on Netflix a while back and wasn't too impressed with it, only remembering Duryea's flippantly portrayed suicidal gesture at the end. Maybe I should give it another shot now that I realize how limited the budget constraints were, and I'm a little curious if the cheap-o sets and production values will be even more apparent in HD.

Though I'm still a bit dismayed that The Senator Was Indiscreet, easily one of the higher profile Republic acquisitions unreleased, still isn't in the cards. Powell needs some HD love.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
When will The Other Love (1947-Barbara Stanwyck & David Niven) arrive from Olive Films? Thanks in advance!

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Mister Lime,I'm glad to see Altman's COME BACK JIMMY DEAN, and the two campy/noir Zugsmith films THE BEAT GENERATON and THE BIG OPERATOR.Speaking of Zugsmith, is GIRLS TOWN (1959) a future possibility from Olive? That is his wildest film, IMO.GIRLS TOWN features Mel "The Velvet Fog" Torme as a black leather jacketed hoodlum who wants to send Mamie Van Doren's younger sister (Elinor Donohue of FATHER KNOWS BEST) down to Tijuana to work as a "hostess." Meanwhile, Paul Anka puts the reform school girls back on the straight and narrow. One of the most deliriously entertaining cult films ever.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I could have sworn Olive said that The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry was no longer a part of the Republic library. Perhaps they licensed it from the producer? I pray there's still hope for Riot in Cell Block 11 and Borzage's Moonrise getting released too.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Jobla said:
Mister Lime,I'm glad to see Altman's COME BACK JIMMY DEAN, and the two campy/noir Zugsmith films THE BEAT GENERATON and THE BIG OPERATOR.Speaking of Zugsmith, is GIRLS TOWN (1959) a future possibility from Olive? That is his wildest film, IMO.GIRLS TOWN features Mel "The Velvet Fog" Torme as a black leather jacketed hoodlum who wants to send Mamie Van Doren's younger sister (Elinor Donohue of FATHER KNOWS BEST) down to Tijuana to work as a "hostess." Meanwhile, Paul Anka puts the reform school girls back on the straight and narrow. One of the most deliriously entertaining cult films ever.
Girls Town is with Lionsgate last I heard

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
UPDATED COMPLETE LIST: COMING IN 2014 FROM OLIVE FILMS: Fedora (1978) – Man on the Roof (1977) – The Adalen Riots (1969) – Elvira Madigan (1967) – Raven’s End (1963) – Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (1973) – The World's Most Beautiful Swindlers (1963) – Ophelia (1962) – J’Accuse (1938) – The Stationmaster’s Wife (1977) – Guilty of Romance (2011) – Himizu (2011) – The Bamboo Saucer (1968) – Bang! Bang! You’re Dead! (1966) – Cry Danger (1951) – Young At Heart (1954) – Men in War (1957) – Sleep My Love (1948) – The Pawnbroker (1964) – Stranger on the Prowl (1952) – Up the Junction (1968) – Betty Boop Volume 3 (1932 -1938) – Johnny Come Lately (1943) – Love Happy (1950) – Operation Petticoat (1959) – So This is New York (1948) – Flying Tigers (1942) – Home of the Brave (1949) – Good Sam (1948) – Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948) – Caught (1949) – The Lost Moment (1947) – Arch of Triumph (1948) – The North Star (1943) | Armored Attack (1957) – Forever Female (1953) – The Other Love (1947) – Magnificent Doll (1946) – That’s My Man (1947) – I’ve Always Loved You (1946) – Betty Boop Volume 4 (1932-1938) – High School Confidential (1958) – Distant Drums (1951) – South of St. Louis (1949) – Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) – Try and Get Me (1950) – Cauldron of Blood (1970) – Beware, My Lovely (1952) – Outrage (1950) – Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965) – Dragonfly Squadron (1954): In 3D Blu-ray (1954) – Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) – Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951) – Man of Conquest (1939) – The Private Life of Bel Ami (1947) – Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) – Track the Man Down (1955) – A Black Veil For Lisa (1968) – The Eternal Sea (1955) – Hell’s Five Hours (1958) – No Man of Her Own (1955) – The Quiet Gun (1957) – Stranger at My Door (1956) – Flying Disc Man From Mars (1950) – The Invisible Monster (1950) – The Beat Generation (1959) – The Big Operator (1959) – The Shanghai Story (1954) – The Weapon (1956) – Woman They Almost Lynched (1953) – World For Ransom (1954) and more to be announced.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
MLamarre said:
I could have sworn Olive said that The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry was no longer a part of the Republic library. Perhaps they licensed it from the producer? I pray there's still hope for Riot in Cell Block 11 and Borzage's Moonrise getting released too.
I've heard that both Riot in Cell Block 11 and Moonrise are with Criterion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks