What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (2 Viewers)

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
The is also The Stationmaster's WIfe (Fassbinder), Ophelia (Chabrol), J'Accuse (the 190's version I believe) and Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (Fuller).

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
The 1938 "J'Accuse" (with Victor Francen, possibly most famous as the pianist of "Beast With Five Fingers") is among the Gaumont titles promised (or at least suggested) for release by now from Olive... but where are they?

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Yes, that's what I want to know. I am sick of waiting for these titles that were announced years ago know and have still not shown up.

If Olive is not longer going to release them I wish they would let us know.

Greg4

Grip
Real Name
Greg
I have been waiting for The Stationmaster's Wife every since it was announced. I'm a huge Fassbinder fan, so it's what I have been waiting for from Olive. 2014 is supposedly the year it will finally be released, but I remember 2013 being that year too, so not getting my hopes up.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
I recently noticed that Olive Films, which heretofore had pretty much been exclusively releasing catalog films from first the Paramount catalog and then the Paramount-owned Republic library, has begun releasing some of the MGM/UA catalog.

They have issued Blu-rays of these AIP films:

BEACH BLANKET BINGO
COFFY
COOLEY HIGH
FOXY BROWN
FRIDAY FOSTER
MUSCLE BEACH PARTY
PSYCH-OUT
ROAD TO HONG KONG
THE THING WITH TWO HEADS

and from UA they've issued:

ALICE'S RESTAURANT
CAVEMAN
HAMMER
A HOLE IN THE HEAD
HOW TO MURDER YOUR WIFE
IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE
KISS ME, STUPID
NED KELLY
THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S
PORK CHOP HILL
TEACHERS
WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY?

and from Orion they've issued:

BEST SELLER
BLUE SKY
LITTLE MAN TATE
WITHOUT A CLUE

and from Cannon they've issued:

ALLAN QUATERMAIN AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD
FIREWALKER

and they have plans to issue BLACK CAESAR and SLAUGHTER on September 22nd. Plus they've issued titles from other MGM-held companies such as Filmways, the Samuel Goldwyn Company, and Trans World Entertainment.

Apparently, MGM, which also has deals with Shout/Scream Factory, Kino-Lorber, and Twilight Time, cannot license these things fast enough. Good times for disc lovers.

transparent.gif

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
Brandon Conway said:
Here's the list of the remaining Paramount/Republic licensed titles as best as I can tell (please let me know of any corrections):The Adalen Riots (1969)Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951)The Beat Generation (1959)Beware, My Lovely (1952)The Big Operator (1959)Cauldron of Blood (1970)Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982)Distant Drums (1951)Dragonfly Squadron 3D (1954)Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)The Eternal Sea (1955)Flying Disc Man from Mars (1950)Hell's Five Hours (1958)High School Confidential (1958)I've Always Loved You (1946)The Invisible Monster (1950)The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (1974)Magnificent Doll (1946)Man of Conquest (1939)Outrage (1950)The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1947)The Quiet Gun (1957)Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)The Shanghai Story (1954)South of St. Louis (1949)The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945)Stranger at My Door (1956)That's My Man (1947)Track the Man Down (1955)The Weapon (1956)Woman They Almost Lynched (1953)World for Ransom (1954)There should also be a release of The Betty Boop Essential Collection Vol. 4 (1932-1938)And the following DVD-only releases should get upgraded to Blu-ray at some point:The Buccaneer (1938)The Lawless (1950)No Man of Her Own (1950)Pony Express (1953)Something to Live For (1952)Tropic of Cancer (1970)So that's 33 BD/DVD releases and 6 BD upgrades, for 39 releases for the Paramount/Republic titles in August-December. Seems very doable if they can release 10 in July.Keep in mind that the following titles in the Republic catalog will not be released due to poor or missing film elements:Blood on the Sun (1945)Breakthrough (1979)Cadence (1990)Dakota (1945)Fighter Attack (1953)A Lady Takes a Chance (1943)The Last Command (1955)A Man Alone (1955)Marjorie Morningstar (1958)One of Our Aircraft Is Missing (1942)Oregon Trail (1936)
i thought they were not releasing breakthrough with richard burton or fighter attack with sterling hayden due to the poor film elements each picture had.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
rdimucci said:
I recently noticed that Olive Films, which heretofore had pretty much been exclusively releasing catalog films from first the Paramount catalog and then the Paramount-owned Republic library, has begun releasing some of the MGM/UA catalog.

They have issued Blu-rays of these AIP films:

BEACH BLANKET BINGO
COFFY
COOLEY HIGH
FOXY BROWN
FRIDAY FOSTER
MUSCLE BEACH PARTY
PSYCH-OUT
ROAD TO HONG KONG
THE THING WITH TWO HEADS

and from UA they've issued:

ALICE'S RESTAURANT
CAVEMAN
HAMMER
A HOLE IN THE HEAD
HOW TO MURDER YOUR WIFE
IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE
KISS ME, STUPID
NED KELLY
THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S
PORK CHOP HILL
TEACHERS
WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY?

and from Orion they've issued:

BEST SELLER
BLUE SKY
LITTLE MAN TATE
WITHOUT A CLUE

and from Cannon they've issued:

ALLAN QUATERMAIN AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD
FIREWALKER

and they have plans to issue BLACK CAESAR and SLAUGHTER on September 22nd. Plus they've issued titles from other MGM-held companies such as Filmways, the Samuel Goldwyn Company, and Trans World Entertainment.

Apparently, MGM, which also has deals with Shout/Scream Factory, Kino-Lorber, and Twilight Time, cannot license these things fast enough. Good times for disc lovers.

transparent.gif
Theyve had a deal with MGM since earlier this year. Pretty much the stuff Shout, Kino, Criterion and TT passed on :) Actually I heard Kino wanted *IT* but Olive outbid them or something

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
My beef with Olive is that, unlike Kino and Shout, they charge a hefty premium for the barest-bones discs around— even if extras have been included in previous domestic issues of the film, they almost never make it to Olive's discs. I get that they're not going to get all of the Arrow Films extras for titles like COFFY or FOXY BROWN, but it looks very unlikely that we'll get the Larry Cohen commentary from the BLACK CAESAR DVD. And the list is still $29.99 for a single title— no double-bills of SLAUGHTER/SLAUGHTER'S BIG RIP-OFF! here. It's a bummer Shout didn't put out a decidated Blaxploitation line for MGM, Fox and Universal titles they own— the BLACULA/SCREAM BLACULA SCREAM disc is fantastic.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yes, the MGM deal is pretty old news. It's been known at least since January.

Olive Films discs often drop to $19.99 by the time they are actually released on Amazon. For some reason they take a while, but it does happen eventually. King of the Gypsies finally dropped a mere week before the release date.

Kino doesn't do double bills either--note the two separate discs for The Land/People That Time Forgot. Shout does, though. Sadly they don't get much of this sort of "blaxploitation" catalog. Blacula was a happy exception. Olive seemed to get the lion's share of the black/blaxploitation 70s films.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
You got a point there. This thread became rather inactive once MisterLime left Olive as their representative and became the rep at Kino shortly afterward. Most Olive discussion shifted to the blu-ray forum since then.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
JoHud said:
You got a point there. This thread became rather inactive once MisterLime left Olive as their representative and became the rep at Kino shortly afterward. Most Olive discussion shifted to the blu-ray forum since then.

Misterlime left when Frank left Olive for Kino. I asked Olive again about Beware My Lovely but this time they responded and kind of said nothing *i cant tell you anything* I kind of wish they would say its in the works or if just isnt happening. They also sent me a link to subscribe to their newsletter :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks