What's new

Coming Soon From Classic Flix: The Little Rascals Preservation & Restoration Project (1 Viewer)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have the six volumes and they are fun. The last three on Volume 6 didn't have Spanky but I recall him appearing in some "later" episodes a bit bigger / chunkier, but this is going back some 40 years but I do recall it somewhat !

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have the six volumes and they are fun. The last three on Volume 6 didn't have Spanky but I recall him appearing in some "later" episodes a bit bigger / chunkier, but this is going back some 40 years but I do recall it somewhat !

Those episodes can be found on the Warner Archive DVD set

Judging from the clip on the product page the boys don't look significantly older. However, I know Spanky was used up until 1944 so this could be a very early clip from the '38-'44 MGM shorts era.

I have this set and I know the final appearances by Alfalfa and Spanky are contained within.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt

Judging from the clip on the product page the boys don't look significantly older. However, I know Spanky was used up until 1944 so this could be a very early clip from the '38-'44 MGM shorts era.

I have this set and I know the final appearances by Alfalfa and Spanky are contained within.
Looking forward to receiving Vol. 6 which has shipped. Alfalfa's final short was Kiddie Kure in 1940, Spanky's was Unexpected Riches in 1942.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Who has the rights for those later (MGM) shorts? Warner?

Any idea if we'll ever see them on good quality BDs? I'm sure most/all of us would love to have those as well...

_Man_

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Who has the rights for those later (MGM) shorts? Warner?

Any idea if we'll ever see them on good quality BDs? I'm sure most/all of us would love to have those as well..

_Man_
Warner owes the shorts and released a DVD of the collection. However I don't see a blu-ray in their future. Also Warner only frequently license to others.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The MGM shorts that brought the series to an end aren't really very good, at least not to me. There are a handful of them that echo the charm and talent of the Roach shorts, but most of them either try too hard or are very preachy or are simply dull. And the last crop of kid discoveries aren't nearly as charismatic as their earlier Our Gang members ( and that includes Mickey Gubatosi/Robert Blake who went on to have a notable career).

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
The MGM shorts that brought the series to an end aren't really very good, at least not to me. There are a handful of them that echo the charm and talent of the Roach shorts, but most of them either try too hard or are very preachy or are simply dull. And the last crop of kid discoveries aren't nearly as charismatic as their earlier Our Gang members ( and that includes Mickey Gubatosi/Robert Blake who went on to have a notable career).
I remember watching a few. Did Not like them at all. :( They were Not the same as the Roach shorts. The Shorts from1929 to 1938 were the Best ! :D Thank You ClassicFlix for the Amazing Restoration of these classic shorts ! :D ;):biggrin::) :banana:

Last edited:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Independence Day may be over, but The Gang doesn't let that stop them...

As we continue to gather materials for releasing Our Gang's silent shorts on Blu-ray and DVD, we're glad to be able to share this clip of a 4K raw scan from 1927's The Glorious Fourth (with Dutch intertitles).

It will also be restored in 4K.

ENJOY!

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
Independence Day may be over, but The Gang doesn't let that stop them...

As we continue to gather materials for releasing Our Gang's silent shorts on Blu-ray and DVD, we're glad to be able to share this clip of a 4K raw scan from 1927's The Glorious Fourth (with Dutch intertitles).

It will also be restored in 4K.

ENJOY!

- David

Looked like June Gittelson as the fireworks salesperson.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
We just posted clips of a raw scan of the 1928 silent Our Gang short Barnum & Ringling, Inc.

The main title card is missing, and all the intertitles are only "flashes", but the clips (one from each reel) show the relatively nice shape this later short is in.

Look for Oliver Hardy and Roach regular Dorothy Coburn in brief cameos.

- David

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I'm sure some of you have received an e-mail from ClassicFlix announcing the Little Rascals "Centennial Edition" (C. E.) coming out in November. This edition contains the same 6 volumes we've been buying, but now in one complete boxed set. There is one exception, though. The C. E. will have a bonus disc that seems quite extensive. ClassicFlix is going to make this bonus disc available as a separate, single disc to all of us who have already bought the 6 Blu-ray individual volumes. THANKS!!, ClassicFlix - some companies wouldn't have done that! Oh, this C. E. will also be available in regular DVD format for those without a Blu-ray player.

For any of you who haven't received the C. E. announcement e-mail, here's a list of the programs and clips included on the bonus disc:

BONUS FEATURES:
  • Newly recorded introduction by Leonard Maltin - The Rascals at 100

• Presentation of the only surviving foreign language shorts in which Our Gang performed:
  • Las Fantasmas (1930, When the Wind Blows performed in Spanish) - Note: Survives fully intact
  • Los Cazadores de Osos (1930, Bear Shooters performed in Spanish) - Note: Only reel 2 is presented here. Image survives for both reels, but only audio survives for reel 2

• Temps d’Hiver (1930, A Tough Winter performed in French) - Note: Only reel 1 survives

• Three newly restored Our Gang silent shorts:
  • The Big Show (1923)
  • Dogs of War! (1923)
  • Mary, Queen of Tots (1925)

• Good Old Days - The Music of Our Gang featurette

• Then and Now - A Special Tour of Our Gang Locations featurette

• Our Gang Centennial at the Hollywood Museum - Highlights from the opening day gala kicking off the Museum’s exhibit celebrating 100 years of The Little Rascals. Appearances include Leonard Maltin, Richard W. Bann, Maria Roach (Hal’s daughter) and Sidney Kibrick (Woim), the last surviving main player of the Hal Roach era

• Our Gang Reunion - Watch The Gang on "You Asked for It" television show from February 22nd, 1951 featuring Allen “Farina” Hoskins, Johnny Downs, Mickey Daniels, Joe Cobb and Jackie Condon. Also appearing is on-set teacher Fern Carter, cameraman Art Lloyd and director Bob McGowan

• A Day in the Life of Spanky and Porky - Follow Spanky and Porky around in Boulder, Colorado the week of April 1st, 1985 as they take the stage, answer questions and sign autographs as guests at the annual “Trivia Bowl” event

• The Little Rascals Jukebox - Listen to your favorite Our Gang tunes

• Image galleries

• Speed-O-Byke theater ad with Spanky

• In-theater ad announcing in-person appearance by Mary Ann Jackson featuring previously unseen outtake footage

• Excerpt of mid-1930s screen test for unknown film with Mary Ann Jackson directed by Norman Z. McLeod (no sound)

• In-theater ad announcing in-person appearance by Norman “Chubby” Chaney

• Spanky McFarland interviewed by Tommy Bond, Jr. at a plaque commemoration ceremony just outside the old location of Hal Roach Studios in Culver City, Ca.

• Art Lloyd home movies featuring Spanky and Joe Cobb (no sound)

• Commercial for MGM Our Gang

• Audition reel (filmed in the mid-1950s) from short-term, but memorable Our Gang player Jackie Lynn Taylor
I'm looking forward to this. Thanks again to ClassicFlix - a company with class!

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm sure some of you have received an e-mail from ClassicFlix announcing the Little Rascals "Centennial Edition" (C. E.) coming out in November. This edition contains the same 6 volumes we've been buying, but now in one complete boxed set. There is one exception, though. The C. E. will have a bonus disc that seems quite extensive. ClassicFlix is going to make this bonus disc available as a separate, single disc to all of us who have already bought the 6 Blu-ray individual volumes. THANKS!!, ClassicFlix - some companies wouldn't have done that! Oh, this C. E. will also be available in regular DVD format for those without a Blu-ray player.

For any of you who haven't received the C. E. announcement e-mail, here's a list of the programs and clips included on the bonus disc:

BONUS FEATURES:
  • Newly recorded introduction by Leonard Maltin - The Rascals at 100

• Presentation of the only surviving foreign language shorts in which Our Gang performed:
  • Las Fantasmas (1930, When the Wind Blows performed in Spanish) - Note: Survives fully intact
  • Los Cazadores de Osos (1930, Bear Shooters performed in Spanish) - Note: Only reel 2 is presented here. Image survives for both reels, but only audio survives for reel 2

• Temps d’Hiver (1930, A Tough Winter performed in French) - Note: Only reel 1 survives

• Three newly restored Our Gang silent shorts:
  • The Big Show (1923)
  • Dogs of War! (1923)
  • Mary, Queen of Tots (1925)

• Good Old Days - The Music of Our Gang featurette

• Then and Now - A Special Tour of Our Gang Locations featurette

• Our Gang Centennial at the Hollywood Museum - Highlights from the opening day gala kicking off the Museum’s exhibit celebrating 100 years of The Little Rascals. Appearances include Leonard Maltin, Richard W. Bann, Maria Roach (Hal’s daughter) and Sidney Kibrick (Woim), the last surviving main player of the Hal Roach era

• Our Gang Reunion - Watch The Gang on "You Asked for It" television show from February 22nd, 1951 featuring Allen “Farina” Hoskins, Johnny Downs, Mickey Daniels, Joe Cobb and Jackie Condon. Also appearing is on-set teacher Fern Carter, cameraman Art Lloyd and director Bob McGowan

• A Day in the Life of Spanky and Porky - Follow Spanky and Porky around in Boulder, Colorado the week of April 1st, 1985 as they take the stage, answer questions and sign autographs as guests at the annual “Trivia Bowl” event

• The Little Rascals Jukebox - Listen to your favorite Our Gang tunes

• Image galleries

• Speed-O-Byke theater ad with Spanky

• In-theater ad announcing in-person appearance by Mary Ann Jackson featuring previously unseen outtake footage

• Excerpt of mid-1930s screen test for unknown film with Mary Ann Jackson directed by Norman Z. McLeod (no sound)

• In-theater ad announcing in-person appearance by Norman “Chubby” Chaney

• Spanky McFarland interviewed by Tommy Bond, Jr. at a plaque commemoration ceremony just outside the old location of Hal Roach Studios in Culver City, Ca.

• Art Lloyd home movies featuring Spanky and Joe Cobb (no sound)

• Commercial for MGM Our Gang

• Audition reel (filmed in the mid-1950s) from short-term, but memorable Our Gang player Jackie Lynn Taylor
I'm looking forward to this. Thanks again to ClassicFlix - a company with class!

Yep, this has also been discussed in the other (more general) ClassicFix thread... plus there are some additional wrinkles you didn't mention, eg. the separate bonus disc will come w/ the same multi-disc case and cover art/inserts as the box set(!), the boxset discs are actually authored a bit differently (to require 1 fewer disc) than the original standalone releases, except for the bonus disc being identical.

But yes, much kudos to ClassicFlix for offering the bonus disc plus boxset case w/ cover art/inserts to those of us who wouldn't wanna have to doubledip!

_Man_

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yep, this has also been discussed in the other (more general) ClassicFix thread... plus there are some additional wrinkles you didn't mention, eg. the separate bonus disc will come w/ the same multi-disc case and cover art/inserts as the box set(!), the boxset discs are actually authored a bit differently (to require 1 fewer disc) than the original standalone releases, except for the bonus disc being identical.

But yes, much kudos to ClassicFlix for offering the bonus disc plus boxset case w/ cover art/inserts to those of us who wouldn't wanna have to doubledip!

_Man_
Update to your update: due to a shortage of seven disc cases the bonus disc will come in it's own disc case in addition, a six disc case and artwork will be sent included for $17.99 + shipping.

1662232963955.png

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
In the general Classic Flix thread, I've posted the Custom Cover designed for a 7-disc case, as well as a booklet I created for the six discs incorporating the original artwork and synopsis.

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Thanks for the additional info - I wasn't aware of the general ClassicFlix thread. I just pre-ordered my copy of the Bonus disc. I did think it was a little odd that nobody had posted anything about the Centennial Edition & Bonus disc. But, even more odd that nobody had posted here about it, since this is the specific and most recent Little Rascal thread. I'm glad others cross-read threads! :thumbs-up-smiley:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
There are over four hours of bonus features on our upcoming The Little Rascals - The Complete Collection (Centennial Edition), and with production wrapping up, here's a sneak peek at clips from "Las Fantasmas", the Spanish version of When the Wind Blows (1930).

Of the four foreign language Our Gang shorts produced simultaneously with the English language versions by Hal Roach, this is the only film that survives in a complete form.

ENJOY!

- David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks