What's new

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Let us know how that goes searching for a replacement boxset case. I could certainly be interested in such myself... though I'm really tempted to just (re)buy the whole set instead since I otherwise still need the out-of-stock-til-whenever Vol 6 to complete the set...

_Man_
I'm looking at this one:

Simply because it has (or seems to have) two of the cases in the package for just a few $$ more than an identical offering which has only a single 7 disc case:

I figure I'll need/want another of these at some point so can mostly justify the few extra $$.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm looking at this one:

Simply because it has (or seems to have) two of the cases in the package for just a few $$ more than an identical offering which has only a single 7 disc case:

I figure I'll need/want another of these at some point so can mostly justify the few extra $$.

Did you end up getting any of those cases? How do you like them?

As (I think) I mentioned probably in the other general ClassicFlix thread(?), I did end up just redipping on the complete boxset (instead of the bonus-disc-only offer plus waiting for reissue of Vol 6). I have somewhat mixed feelings about the boxset case and may well just stick w/ it unless I find it too cumbersome/problematic in actual use. Also, the cover art for the boxset seems designed for clear cases that don't have the usual, uncovered, protruding BD header.

In any case, probably still good to have good, reasonably inexpensive alternatives... perhaps for use w/ other boxsets that have more problematic cases/packaging... although the most problematic are probably 4K boxsets, particularly since 4K disc playback tend to be much more susceptible to the slightest issues, including nearly invisible dirt/marks/etc.

_Man_

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Did you end up getting any of those cases? How do you like them?

As (I think) I mentioned probably in the other general ClassicFlix thread(?), I did end up just redipping on the complete boxset (instead of the bonus-disc-only offer plus waiting for reissue of Vol 6). I have somewhat mixed feelings about the boxset case and may well just stick w/ it unless I find it too cumbersome/problematic in actual use. Also, the cover art for the boxset seems designed for clear cases that don't have the usual, uncovered, protruding BD header.

In any case, probably still good to have good, reasonably inexpensive alternatives... perhaps for use w/ other boxsets that have more problematic cases/packaging... although the most problematic are probably 4K boxsets, particularly since 4K disc playback tend to be much more susceptible to the slightest issues, including nearly invisible dirt/marks/etc.

_Man_
No, I have not. Too busy with misc. holiday stuff to mess with it right now... maybe after the first of the year. I'm also still working my way through the individual discs and am not really in much of a hurry.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For those who want to compare the titles by Blu-ray disc layout for The Little Rascals: The Complete Centennial Collection (5 discs) with the previously released individual volumes (6 discs):

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 15-56-57 The Little Rascals The Complete Collection Blu-ray (Centenni...png

According to a liner note within the article, "The A/V and narrative qualities appear unchanged," though the configuration is obviously different.

CHEERS! :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Would've been nice if it somehow included the cover art from the original 6 separate volumes though... maybe in a small booklet perhaps. I don't normally do stuff like that, but I may just make my own small booklet of those cover artwork to keep inside this boxset -- I don't have Vol 6 though, so...

_Man_

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Would've been nice if it somehow included the cover art from the original 6 separate volumes though... maybe in a small booklet perhaps. I don't normally do stuff like that, but I may just make my own small booklet of those cover artwork to keep inside this boxset -- I don't have Vol 6 though, so...

_Man_
Perhaps somebody on here who has volume 6 might be willing to make a decent photocopy of the volume 6 artwork and send it to you? I realize it's not quite the same, though!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've received my big Christmas Present today! :)

While much of today has been difficult as COVID has been kicking my butt, I did eventually get around to playing MAIL AND FEMALE, one of the 'Our Gang' shorts from the 1937-38 cinematic season, and the last with Hal Roach Studios.

Besides being a fine example of the nice tightly scripted one reel shorts released by Hal Roach during the 1936-38 period with no adults present, and of course the ever iconic "He Man Woman Haters Club" (IIRC, two shorts were made with this theme?) this short has been of particular interest to me, as the last DVD set featured a rather generic "The End" Title with white background, instead of the usual diagonal stripes that were present on nearly every other 'Our Gang' short from the last season at Roach. Several years back, I made up a home made disc that actually corrected this, which turned out surprisingly well, although of course, it could never look as good as the beautiful looking ClassicFlix restoration!

I've posted a few screenshots below.

screenshot767.jpg

Spanky about to form the "He-Man Woman Haters Club":
screenshot769.jpg

Spanky and Spike "breaking" the Club's rule!:
screenshot787.jpg

The original "The End" card now restored for MAIL AND FEMALE (1937)!:
screenshot806.jpg

I'm so greatly looking forward to digging into all 80 shorts, once I'm over this super annoying COVID bout!

CHEERS! (And Merry Christmas!) :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

While much of today has been difficult as COVID has been kicking my butt, I did eventually get around to playing MAIL AND FEMALE, one of the 'Our Gang' shorts from the 1937-38 cinematic season, and the last with Hal Roach Studios.

Besides being a fine example of the nice tightly scripted one reel shorts released by Hal Roach during the 1936-38 period with no adults present, and of course the ever iconic "He Man Woman Haters Club" (IIRC, two shorts were made with this theme?) this short has been of particular interest to me, as the last DVD set featured a rather generic "The End" Title with white background, instead of the usual diagonal stripes that were present on nearly every other 'Our Gang' short from the last season at Roach. Several years back, I made up a home made disc that actually corrected this, which turned out surprisingly well, although of course, it could never look as good as the beautiful looking ClassicFlix restoration!

View attachment 168206

View attachment 168207

View attachment 168208

View attachment 168209

I'm so greatly looking forward to digging into all 80 shorts, once I'm over this super annoying COVID bout!

Feel better soon!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

View attachment 168206

View attachment 168207

View attachment 168208

View attachment 168209

HEARTS ARE THUMPS (1937) being the previous other "He Man Woman Haters Club" themed short.

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
Started watching the Centennial set yesterday (Christmas day). Picture quality is stunning. Two questions though.

1. Im sure i read somewhere that the actress playing "Grandma" (Margaret Mann) was really blind, but according to Wiki and IMDB there is no mention of this. Was she blind or am i thinking of another actress?

2. Are Classic Flix doing all the silents ?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Started watching the Centennial set yesterday (Christmas day). Picture quality is stunning. Two questions though.

1. Im sure i read somewhere that the actress playing "Grandma" (Margaret Mann) was really blind, but according to Wiki and IMDB there is no mention of this. Was she blind or am i thinking of another actress?

I guess the ones only around still

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

I guess the ones only around still
I recall reading that David and ClassicFlix are wanting to get as many of the silents restored as possible. Of course, there are many additional challenges to restoring the silents, the state of any available film elements being one!

I'm looking forward to viewing this set's included 3 remastered silents THE BIG SHOW (1923), DOGS OF WAR (1923), and especially MARY, QUEEN OF TOTS (1925)!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Im sure i read somewhere that the actress playing "Grandma" (Margaret Mann) was really blind, but according to Wiki and IMDB there is no mention of this. Was she blind or am i thinking of another actress?
Looking at the magnification of the glasses used in the short, if those are really hers, she may have been legally blind, but I think she could see what she was doing. She's too precise in all her scenes to think otherwise.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Looking at the magnification of the glasses used in the short, if those are really hers, she may have been legally blind, but I think she could see what she was doing. She's too precise in all her scenes to think otherwise.
The few press releases of Margaret Mann from 1929-30 show her without glasses. That she was supposedly blind (legally or otherwise) seems the stuff of urban legend.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David

We have started the project to restore and release as many of the 88 silent Our Gang films which survive.

PROJECT GOALS
We already have nearly 40 Our Gang silent films scanned and expect to eventually restore and release between 30 - 40 shorts from 35mm and pristine 16mm elements on both Blu-ray and DVD. The remaining 40 or so shorts which survive only on 16mm elements (some of which only survive in fragments) will be released solely on DVD as most are in very rough shape.

TIMELINE
We had initially anticipated releasing some of the silents in the fall of this year, but due to the complexity of tracking down, piecing together and restoring the silents, as well as the up front cost associated with the project, the first complete volume will likely come out in mid 2023.

Stay tuned for more updates on this thread.

Check out a clip of our already restored MARY, QUEEN OF TOTS (1925) below.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amaris
Recent bookmarks