What's new

Coming in September, according to Philips....SACD II (1 Viewer)

Greg Br

Second Unit

Well I dont know the numbers, but as a non audiophile music fan, if they dont have multi channel or the disk is not hybrid I dont even consider it.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy in Atlanta has really been pushing hirez. In my neighborhood store yesterday I saw two inch tall banners at the top of every music row saying to visit the Super Audio and DVD Audio section for the latest in digital audio. There were at least a couple dozen well-placed banners. That's going to capture a lot of eyeballs in the regular redbook bins. The SACD inventory is doing well too with Best Buy putting out most of the big hirez releases every Tuesday.
Yeah these banners showed up in the neighboring stores as well,however when I inquired about this section,2 out of 3 employee didn't know what I was talking about,the third only knew, because I pointed at those "banners",so finally he pointed me toward the DVD-A/SACD section. Yeah catching on alright.:D

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
My educated guess is that current SACD players will not play SACD II disks, but that SACD II players will play all older SACD disks.

Look at the precedents.

If 5 years ago, you bought an expensive Sony ES "CD" player, it doesn't play the new format disks, ie SACD. But, the new Sony SACD players will play all existing CD disks.

In fact, I don't see any precedence for new media being compatible with older players - except for low-performance "layers" or tracks on SACD and DVD-Audio.

Actually, since Hybrid SACD II's will "play" in our current SACD players, maybe that will be the compatibility. :)

In short, it's always been true that you have to buy new equipment for new high performance media, and equipment manufacturers somehow seem to like it that way...

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
In short, it's always been true that you have to buy new equipment for new high performance media, and equipment manufacturers somehow seem to like it that way...
While I agree with this, I think that the reason why I (and many other HTF'ers, as I have observed) are so angry is that the rumors of the development of SACD II only mention the addition of video and newer piracy protection and nothing about any attempts to improve the audio. SACD is, and always will be, a format whose main purpose was to provide an improvement in audio over the CD. But if I have to buy a brand new Sony ES SACD player for $800-1000 to replace my 555ES just because of SACDII's new video and encryption features I will probably just abandon the format altogether. While I dont mind buying new equipment because of an improvement in software (CD drive to DVD drive, Playstation 1 to Playstation 2), I do mind when the improvement in software is only for idiotic and over-cautious reasons (kind of like the whole George Brett Pine Tar incident).
On the other hand, if they do the SACD kind of like how Redbook cd's now have HDCD, where the improvement is only available through newer equipment, but the software is still fully backwards compatible, I wouldn't mind a new SACD.
Sorry, just a rant.;)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I'm fed up with all this...I own a sacd and dvd-a player and if future SACD discs are not compatible with my 222es I'm sending Sony to HELL !!!:angry: ...First BETA, then minidisc now SACD I !!!:thumbsdown:

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
The situation surrounding straightforward audio playback on legacy machines
I can't believe my one month old SACD player is now considered a legacy machine!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I would bet money that vinyl sales are higher than any of the current Hi-Rez formats. Water marking & copy protection are 2 words that should concern any hi-rez follower.
There are already discs that don't play in all players so if SACD II comes to fruition, you can bet there will be problems with some of the current players. Buyer beware!:)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If true then... SHIT!!!

As for DVD-Audio's watermarking, it was proven to be audible when the finalized test discs were sent to the DVD-Forum steering group. That's why some audio labels say they don't use it on their DVD-Audio releases.

Now Sony wants to do this to SACD? WTF are they smoking over there in Tokyo??!! I sure don't want any of that!!

Of all the ways they could copy protect a disc, why do they have to mess with the audio itself?

Dan

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Now Sony wants to do this to SACD? WTF are they smoking over there in Tokyo??!! I sure don't want any of that!!
Dan, take a deep breath and step slowly back from the computer, grab your Prozac or a beer and chant or remember the following words....

1. No official announcement has been made regarding "SACD 2".

2. Sony denies its existence.

3. Lack of compatibility with existing units is highly unlikely.

:)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

I did say "if true then..." ;)

I also was commenting about adding audio copy protection to SACDs. BAAAAAAD idea!

Dan

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well that settles it for me.. I won't browse for another SACD combo player until an official announcement is made in Sept. Another example of why the early adopters have the most ro risk. :crazy:

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

What I mean by audio copy protection is audio watermarking like DVD-Audio titles. SACD's, at present, do not apply protection directly into the audio file itself.

That is a bad idea because it can negatively impact the audio fidelity.

Dan

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
It already has copy protection, Dan.
That is does, but it is not as rigorous as the DVD-A disc verification scheme, hence the possible insistence by the audio label in a more rigorous scheme according to the HFR article. I kind of see the record labels point though, because with a Hi-res disc, you are essentially getting the master tape at a price of around 20 bucks, and they should have some sort of added protection.

J

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I kind of see the record labels point though, because with a Hi-res disc, you are essentially getting the master tape at a price of around 20 bucks, and they should have some sort of added protection.
Essentially? Have you ever heard a master tape? I think closer to the master tape maybe a better choice of words, let's not get too carried away. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks