What's new

Combining 2 speaker wires together (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I have some extra speaker wire and I would like to try twisting the pair together. I have seen this explained on a website but the link no longer works. How excatly would this be done, is there is special technique to braiding the pairs together? I have some speakers that are biwirable and figured I would experiment since its not going to cost anything. I had been looking into some bi-wired speaker cable but is going to cost a lot for the length I need.

The wire I have is 12 guage but the article I read they were using 14 guage and when combined became 11 guage. What guage would two 12's produce and are there any concerns with such a thick guage?

Thanks.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

The combined gauge would be about 9. My speaker dealer did this when he installed my sub. There was no special "trick" to it--he just twisted the wires together and jammed them into spade lugs on one end and bananas on the other.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you want to braid them, secure one end on a bench vice and the other in an electric drill, and run it until you get the desired consistency. However, after you’ve finished it’s best to keep tension on the cable until you’ve released it from the chuck.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Braiding two pairs of 12 gauge speaker wires to feed one speaker is overkill that costs you nothing but money.

To braid two cords together without having them kink up when you release the tension requires twisting each cord by itself counterclockwise at the same time the two are twisted together clockwise. This requires a special braiding machine to hold the two spools which let out the cords little by little as twisting occurs.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks