What's new

Combat TV series question (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Combat! is a CBS property.

What is currently unknown, is what priority the former CBS home video division has in the newer ViacomCBS. If CBS has been demoted in the new ViacomCBS home video division, then I don't expect much of anything catalog other than re-releasing stuff which has already been released. ViacomCBS has been dumping a lot of their current tv shows to dvd-mod.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another show where there might be possible split CBS and Disney/ABC ownership + distribution issues, is the CBS show Criminal Minds which lasted 15 seasons (until earlier this year).

In region1 america, the dvd season sets of Criminal Minds were released by CBS/Paramount.

In region2 europe, the dvd season sets in the UK and germany were released by Disney.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Combat is listed on the CBS syndication bible.

Though it doesn't state what the ownership issues are specifically.

I read that document. It's very strange because back in the days of the DVD releases it was owned by Buena Vista (Disney).
Things change.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Combat! was produced by Selmur Productions, which was an ABC subsidiary. And as far as I know, it still is (at least on paper) under the Disney silo.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Image Entertainment is the only company which has ever legitimately released the show. If it doesn't have Image logo on the box, its a bootleg. Not that complicated. Real companies don't put out shows with no insignia.

• Image Entertainment released the entire series on DVD (Region 1). They released each season in two-volume sets in 2004 and 2005. All episodes are the time-compressed versions that were distributed by Worldvision Enterprises for syndication; each comes in at 46 to 47 minutes, instead of the original runtime, which was 50 to 51 minutes.
  • On April 2, 2012, it was announced that RLJ Acquisition, Inc. had entered into an agreement to acquire Image Entertainment as well as Acorn Media and plan to merge the two companies. The two companies operate under the banner "RLJ Entertainment".
  • On November 12, 2013, RLJ Entertainment released Combat! - The Complete Series, a 40-disc set that features all 152 episodes of the series.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I just always assumed from the CBS Syndication Bible listing that it fell under that umbrella. Interesting to learn that's potentially not the case.

And when I hear Image Entertainment, it doesn't take me long to think about my Dick Van Dyke Show and Twilight Zone sets. So I suppose that just reinforced my thought that it was another property under that control.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I just always assumed from the CBS Syndication Bible listing that it fell under that umbrella. Interesting to learn that's potentially not the case.

And when I hear Image Entertainment, it doesn't take me long to think about my Dick Van Dyke Show and Twilight Zone sets. So I suppose that just reinforced my thought that it was another property under that control.

The fact that Image/RLJ has only ever released Combat! using the same old time-sped Worldvision prints might be an indication that even though they have distribution right, that is all they have access to. The original film elements may be stored away in a CBS vault. This may be similar to the scenario where the Henning estate was able to release Beverly Hillbillies on DVD from their own elements, while CBS later went back to the original film elements for their release. Image/RLJ obviously has access to Twilight Zone and Dick Van Dyke show original elements for their HD releases. Hard to say who has what with Combat!, but it does appear CBS could possible release it as well if they wanted to.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
  • Image Entertainment released the entire series on DVD (Region 1). They released each season in two-volume sets in 2004 and 2005. All episodes are the time-compressed versions that were distributed by Worldvision Enterprises for syndication; each comes in at 46 to 47 minutes, instead of the original runtime, which was 50 to 51 minutes.

Correction: the season 5 sets in color were restored and released with the normal 50 minutes format.​

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I can't verify that in any place I've searched online, do you have a source for that?

Season five is not time-sped and the quality is better than previous seasons. I recall that be stated at the time of the release and it is represented in the set I have.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I can't verify that in any place I've searched online, do you have a source for that?

It's explained in one of the audio commentaries from the season 5 sets.​
Unfortunately, season 5 is the weak season in terms of scripts but with clean and crisp prints.​
Keep in mind that I own all the sets released back in 2004 and 2005 by Image Entertainement.​

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks