Combat TV series question

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Combat was a popular series in Australia when first screened there. PAL/NTSC is never a problem in Australia as all or most devices play both formats with no errors. When I transfer mp4 downloaded TV shows(sometimes a whole series is on demand long before the episodes run weekly on Free to Air channels) to MPEG2 for a file disc I always select NTSC and not PAL. Seems better that way.

I have the original Combat but never got into viewing them as yet. I seem to recall I read somewhere the episodes have been syndicated shortened but I could be wrong. I have never heard if your eBay LA Entertainment.

Those Paramounts like War of the Worlds are issued by a label name of Madman Entertainment and are over priced and Limited Editions. Little or no advertising is forthcoming. I get Madman emails but not those. You people seem to know more about them than we do. I got War of the Worlds in the US edition.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The episodes are complete I believe, but the syndicated transfers used for the DVD's are time-sped for seasons 1-4 and apparently clock out around 47 minutes. I believe the final season that was in color runs for the full 50 minutes or thereabouts that would be expected for a mid 1960's drama.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I've read that the episodes are time-compressed that were distributed by WorldVision for syndication (46-47 minutes, instead of the original runtime 50-51 minutes - without the commercials). Not 100% sure about this, though.

What comes to the Australian releases, it's true that NTSC is probably not a problem (same thing with many countries in Europe). But it's a bit strange if the DVD set officially released in Australia has NTSC instead of PAL.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
I'd never seen much of the series before I got the set. I watched some episodes here and there on Me-TV and thought, I should get this, I really like it! The only thing I don't like about the set is that there are NO episode title lists in any volume of any season. Not only that, they are in production order and not airdate order, which I prefer. I finally had to print out a list myself so I could watch them in episode order (lots of disc switching) and I also included what discs had special features (there are quite a few). Main thing, as always though, I'm glad it's available despite those nuisances.

I was trying to think if I have ANY other seasons sets of anything that don't include the episode titles anywhere in the sets and I cannot.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I'm about half way through season 1. I only recall seeing a few episodes in syndication when growing up. I would not hesitate to buy a cleaned up blu-ray version upon release.

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
The episodes are complete I believe, but the syndicated transfers used for the DVD's are time-sped for seasons 1-4 and apparently clock out around 47 minutes. I believe the final season that was in color runs for the full 50 minutes or thereabouts that would be expected for a mid 1960's drama.
I prefer time sped over edited!

When I first watched the series on the set I indicated I have, I wrote down the episodes I noticed were longer than the mostly 46-47 minute ones.

Season 3:
The Hard Way Back (51:16)
The Town That Went Away (51:12)
A Walk with an Eagle (51:20)

Season 5:
The Gun (51:09)
The Brothers (51:00)
A Child's Game (51:10)
Conflict (51:08)
A Little Jazz (51:11)

They also have listed, on Disc 5 of Season 5, episode commentary for Nightmare on the Red Bull Run, which it doesn't have, but it does have commentary for The Outsider, which is not listed.

NOTE: It's possible I may have missed one, I wasn't specifically looking at them for running times.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I think that's "supposed" to be the 2013 Image complete series set.

I say that since the bootleggers seemingly out produced Image themselves tenfold.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I think that's "supposed" to be the 2013 Image complete series set.

I say that since the bootleggers seemingly out produced Image themselves tenfold.
I purchased that set also and it sure seems authentic - how can I tell if it's a bootleg set?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I bought a set that looked like that one for my sister, and it definitely was a bootleg. If yours is, you should be able to tell by the poor video quality. In the bootleg, they usedsingle-layer DVDs instead of the double -layer of the original set so they compressed the hell out of them to get them to fit. If you look closely the image in motion you should see artifacting or a slight jerkiness that was not present on the Image discs. It will look okay if the picture is still, but if there is motion, you will see the compression (if it as a bootleg).

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I purchased that set also and it sure seems authentic - how can I tell if it's a bootleg set?
Just put the disk in a computer drive and check the size. If it is around 4.2 GB or less it is a bootleg. If it is closer to 6 to 7 GB per disk it is legit.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
An update for the curious. That Aussie S1 set I purchased (from Deepdiscount no less) has all the earmarks of a bootleg (hmmm... I may contact them about those sets based on my findings). Fuzzy package art (like it was done on a low cost printer), soft disc art (same thing), and ~4.6GB disc size (the main tell). While they *do* have a UPC code there's absolutely *no* distributor information on the label or discs but *do* have a (very small) blurb along the lines of "Not for sale or use outside Australia or New Zealand". Played with VLC on my computer there are some obvious interlacing issues as well. I didn't play it again on my main player but what I remember is the episodes were just a bit "soft" looking.

I never really thought to check the disc size before in spite of the other tells with the set. It's a bit disappointing as I'd enjoyed what I watched and was looking at possibly picking up a few more seasons. With all of the bootleg tells, I seriously doubt that'll happen now.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Image Entertainment is the only company which has ever legitimately released the show. If it doesn't have Image logo on the box, its a bootleg. Not that complicated. Real companies don't put out shows with no insignia.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
Image Entertainment is the only company which has ever legitimately released the show. If it doesn't have Image logo on the box, its a bootleg. Not that complicated. Real companies don't put out shows with no insignia.
However, a bit more complicated when bootleg companies start replicating legitimate company logo's and packaging.

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hopper
Do you think we will Ever see a Bluray Set of Combat! ??? :unsure:

Unfortunately, Combat! is owned by Disney.​
Image Entertainment could do that Blu-Ray job but I don't know if there is enough people to buy it.​
Keep in mind that Image Entertainment should have to restore the first four seasons which cost a bundle.​
Image Entertainment used to achieve the Bu-Ray edition of The Twilight Zone, owned by CBS/Paramount.​
Who knows?​

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybernz