What's new

Columbia's list of recent pan & scan / fullframe DVDs. (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
From everything I've read — including a review at Fangoria.com — "Homicidal" is Academy ratio and is OAR. Since "Mr. Sardonicus" and "Strait-Jacket" (released at the same time) are both 16x9 WS, it would be pretty strange for this one to be P&S for no reason.

And I swear I read that David Goyer's "Zig Zag" is to be 1.85:1 WS 16x9 in July.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I just got in Cowboy yesterday for review. It is 1.33:1 on disc, but looks open matte, since the 1.78 (ie 1.85) framing looks appropriate when zoomed on my widescreen set. IMDB doesn't have an aspect ratio listed for this. Does anyone know for sure what this is supposed to be?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Since "Mr. Sardonicus" and "Strait-Jacket" (released at the same time) are both 16x9 WS, it would be pretty strange for this one to be P&S for no reason.
One would think so. But then from Columbia Tristar we also have the widescreen DVD for The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958) and the widescreen DVD for Jason and the Argonauts (1963) followed by the MAR full-screen DVD (the sides are definitely cropped; just compare it with the letterboxed trailer on the same disc!) for The Three Worlds of Gulliver (1960).
:frowning:

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
According to two different DVD websites, Beijing Bicycle WILL be 1.85:1, 16x9
But I guess we won't know till the DVD is actually out

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
My info on Beijing Bicycle & Zig Zag was taken from DVD File. If this is wrong I apologize. When the specs are officially announced, I will delete them from the list if they are indeed OAR.

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
Man, I just saw The Villain for the first time on an ABC affiliate station, KTRK in Houston, Texas late last night. Couldn't sleep.
I thought it was a real old western at first and was believing it as a traditional western until I spotted Arnold Schwarzenegger and Anne Margaret, and then Foster Brooks and Ruth Buzzi. Extremely funny movie!
I looked it up on the IMDb this evening and I couldn't believe that it's gonna be released as Full Frame on DVD tommorrow. If I had known that, I would have dug out the VCR, dusted it off, searched for a blank tape, figured out how to hook it up again and recorded it. Does Col/Tristar want me to start buying Region Two's?
Very dissappointed in Texas! Sign me up!
:frowning:

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
Received 84 Charing Cross Rd yesterday, popped it in. Yes, it is full screen, but open matte.

If the studios insist on doing this, I wish they would identify pan & scan vs open matte. I will reluctantly buy open matte but never pan and scan. That is why I do not own The Sting or Chariots of Fire.

This film has been modified to fit your TV doesn't cut it. Further, I wish they would modify the film to fit MY TV, since I have a 16:9.

The statement they are making is false.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
This film has been modified to fit your TV doesn't cut it. Further, I wish they would modify the film to fit MY TV, since I have a 16:9.

The statement they are making is false.
I get what you're saying, but I think we should let this argument rest a little. We don't exactly want them to format everything for 1.75:1 either.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I've deleted Beijing Bicycle, as DVDFILE now reports that it is indeed OAR.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Homicidal doesn't look to be P&S---I think it may well be intended to be Academy ratio.

The Harryhausen films, as has been chewed over ad nauseam in the Three Worlds of Gulliver, are probably supposed to be Academy ratio as well---meaning that the widescreen releases are overmatted MARs. Someone there was going to be talking to Harryhausen himself and was going to ask, but I don't know that anything has been heard yet.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
In the case of Perfect (there may be others, I simply haven't checked), it is getting released (in widescreen, as mentioned above) by Columbia/Tristar in Region 2.
It is pretty damn offensive that they feel that the Europeans rate widescreen, but we here in the US/Canada deserve Pan & Scan only. Shame Columbia, shame!!!
Ted

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I cancelled my preorders for The Mountain Men and A Midnight Clear - I guess that's all I can do to push Columbia in the right direction.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Homicidal isn't P&S.

In fact, it was made to be matted at the MOST at 1.66:1.

It can be shown at 1.33:1 or 1.66:1 without a compromise in composition.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The Harryhausen films, as has been chewed over ad nauseam in the Three Worlds of Gulliver, are probably supposed to be Academy ratio as well---meaning that the widescreen releases are overmatted MARs.
This keeps being repeated, but how is that the widescreen trailer shows more on the sides than the same scenes in the actual movie?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I've updated my list adding Little Nikita which is being released full frame by Columbia in September.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Yikes!

Thanks Dave, I had no idea they were releasing it full frame. I've added it to my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks