What's new

Columbia's list of recent pan & scan / fullframe DVDs. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
What do they expect us to do when (not if, but when) all existing laserdisc copies have laser-rotted??

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Another new $24.95 P&S release from Columbia:
The 9/24/02 DVD release of the Burt Reynolds/Dyan Cannon 1973 film Shamus.
:angry:

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The two catalog titles, that I'm really worried about is
The Big Picture
Armed & Dangerous
and maybe
Hexed

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Johns, it seems that The Big Picture is safe (as is Hanky Panky for anyone who cares): dual-AR versions on 1 disc.
But two new MAR atrocities are now scheduled for 11/5:
Toy Soldiers (Sean Astin, Wil Wheaton)
Return to the Blue Lagoon (Milla Jovovich)
:frowning:

Andy_MT

Second Unit
if MGM (by all counts have a low market share compared to the other majors, something around 2% according to mojo) can put out "P&S/Widescreen on same disk" releases, then why can't these ar$ehole$ ? :angry:

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
SONNOFABEEEACH!!!!!!!!!

Darnnit Darnnit Darnnit!!! I am dismayed at any MAR announcement, but when its movies I actually was looking forward to having on DVD, I get even more agitated. Toy Soldiers is one of the 15 Laserdiscs I still have left over, and even though that one was full frame also, it was more acceptible back then. Oh well, looks like I'll be keeping my copy that I already have.

Stupid Columbia.......

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Debuting 11/5 are 1991's Toy Soldiers and the Milla Jovovich-starring Return to the Blue Lagoon. Both are going to feature new HD-mastered fullscreen-only transfers and bonus trailers as extras.

A few weeks later on 11/26, the studio bows their 2-disc Men in Black II Special Edition. This one, however, has separate widescreen and fullscreen releases.

HD Fullscreen transfers... why bother at all?!?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I can hardly wait for the fullscreen edition of Lawrence of Arabia...

"Mastered from 65mm interpositive originated high-def fullscreen transfer"

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Dual WS/FF releases I understand... remastered fullframe-only I don't.

There was once a time when DVD was touted to have, among other things, pan&scan on-the-fly. Maybe it's time to make good on this feature so we can have our 16x9 and the rest can have their "screens filled".

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I've updated the list adding Toy Soldiers & Return to the Blue Lagoon (God, I hate updating that list!)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Jay E, you can add the Drew Barrymore flick Motorama as Pan & Scan only. Also Zig Zag is 1.85:1 widescreen, though not anamorphic (what's up with that?).

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
If you go to the Sony corporate page at
http://www.sonypictures.com/spe/corporate_index.html
There's a link to a feedback form at the bottom of the page.
I sent them an e-mail this morning complaining bitterly about the fullscreen (pan and scan?) releases of Rough Magic and Toy Soldiers. I am especially annoyed about Toy Soldiers -- I love that movie (really!) and have been waiting for a DVD release so I could replace my old pan and scan laser disc.
I'm sure I won't get a response. Nor will they get a sale.

Bill Crosthwait

Second Unit
I found this a the bits studio contact information page.

Lets start calling...

Columbia / TriStar Home Video

10202 W. Washington Blvd.

Culver City, CA 90232-3195

(310) 244-8000

(310) 244-1817 DVD Hotline (recorded info.)

TedD

Supporting Actor
The number has changed, to (310) 244-4000 and the contact name that I was given is Michael Forrester, who, I believe is an executive in sales. He is currently on a business trip, however I spoke to his secratary and left a call-back #.

Ted

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Zig-Zag is an independent film being distrubuted on video by Sony; the transfer was probably given to them (a la Fox with the The Boondock Saints). I've heard it's good but haven't yet seen it.

I'm curious (but not enough to open a new thread) about Sony's weird pricing. How come "Revenge of Frankenstein" is $19.95 while the even more bare-bones "The Brotherhood of Satan" is $24.95? I'll wait for the eventual price drop, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks