What's new

Columbia's list of recent pan & scan / fullframe DVDs. (1 Viewer)

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
It irritates me to no end that "The Villain" was released Full-Frame instead of OAR. I am a Schwarzenegger fan and looked forward to purchasing this, but I refuse to buy it on principle. If they don't re-release it in its OAR, then I guess I will never own it.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It amazes me how thie studio has changed its stance since the beginnings of DVD. At the dawn of DVD, they released everthing as 16x9, often times widescreen only, since then an unfortunate trend has taken place, and combined with their marketing tactics of releasing and re-releasing titles over and over again, they have dropped severely in my ratings.

Margo

Agent
I got stuck with a fullscreen version of Rough Magic. Really sad too, because this is a sweet movie.

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
It amazes me how thie studio has changed its stance since the beginnings of DVD. At the dawn of DVD, they released everthing as 16x9, often times widescreen only
Not quite...remember the original release of Fly Away Home? They had a couple other pan'n'scan releases early on, too.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
JohnS, I can now tell you that Armed & Dangerous is safe as well, sporting a dual-AR release.
Now, if they'd just do that for all the others... :rolleyes

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
THE KING OF MASKS, a recent (and otherwise beautiful) Chinese-language film, which has a letterboxed trailer, is presented at 1.33.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
There was once a time when DVD was touted to have, among other things, pan&scan on-the-fly. Maybe it's time to make good on this feature so we can have our 16x9 and the rest can have their "screens filled".
What we want is OAR, regardless of whether it fills the screen of a 4:3 TV, regardless of whether it fills the screen of a 16:9 TV.
As for Stuart Little Deluxe Edition, what's up with the line about the picture being 'anamorphic' when the box indicates that it is 'FullScreen' and modified to fit a [4:3] TV?
Does this mean that someone went to the brain-dead lengths of creating an anamorphic 16:9 image area, in which is centered a 4:3 Pan-and-Scan transfer (black bars on either side)? Please tell me that this worst-of-all-possible-worlds situation is not the one meant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks