What's new

Color for 7 ft ceiling (1 Viewer)

TonyGricar

Agent
Hi all - I'm getting ready to hit the drywalling stage of my theater room and my wife and I plan on using a very deep purple for the walls, and the ceiling is still up in the air (wow, that was a bad, bad unintended pun...). i know that darker the better seems to be the general concensus, but last night i was going through a "best of" edition of AV Interiors and more often than not, the ceilings were light colored (tan, white, etc.). The problem we are running into is that this is an old house and the ceiling will be 7 feet high. the 55 inch toshiba is on a 7 inch riser, so my concern is that a lighter paint will cause too much reflection of tv light. the downside is that if we go dark paint, it will make the room seem smaller than is already is. the dimensions are 11wx23dx7h. any input anyone can offer is appreciated.

Tony

Dayton, Ohio

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
I strongly recommended a tastefull grey. Get a flat neutral kodak grey color. I recommend going to a

Benjamine Moore color. The seven chips are #'s 1597-1603 and range in

color

from a light grey to almost a black. The darker the color on the set of

color chips the better. The chips were chosen for being neutral in color.

I ended up going with Chip 1601 and it looks great in my room. when the lights are on it lights up and when they are off it disappears.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I noticed a lot of professionaly done theaters have light colored ceilings, I actually read one that said that they did it so that the light WOULD reflect from the screen, I thought that was weird, because I find it annoying right now that my entire ceiling glows! All my walls are off-white and let me tell you with an 8' wide screen and only a 12' wide room and 7' ceilings (CRT FP), the ENTIRE room is lit up when it's on. This is really straining on the eyes when it goes from light to dark a lot.

I assume a darker room would limit this more as it wouldn't get as bright in the room!

TonyGricar

Agent
Thanks for the input. We are leaning towards doing a custom blend of deep grey with a bit of navy. The real issue in all of this is the fear that the room will look even smaller than it is, when adding a dark ceiling to dark walls. - Tony

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
yes it will shrink the room. My room is only 143X128X96. So choose a good comprimise neutral color such as the grey chips I suggested. You will have options from lightest grey up to almost black.

In my room I went with chip 1601 and also painted the celing grey and not black. It shrinks the room a little compared to bright white but I was able to create an illusion of a bigger room by hanging black curtains in the front to trim the screen. For some strange reason the curtains in the room actually give it an illusion of looking larger than without them.

Hopefully by next week I will have pictures to post of my finished product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks