What's new
World Wide Stereo

Need Help Choosing Front Projector.....Please? (1 Viewer)

SurfHB

Grip
Hi...I am totally new to this type of front projection TV. I currently have a Sony 57 inch rear projection TV that is one year old. I have it in my bedroom so it works great. However, I have another room that I think I may want to convert to a dedicated Home Theater. Here is the info:
The room is 12 ft wide and 20 ft deep. The ceiling is 7 1/2 feet tall.

I would like to have a screen that at least 120 inches. I would like the projector to be HDTV compatible and be able to hook a game console to it. I would like the colors to be bright and crisp. I do understand that you get what you pay for. I would consider spending up to $2,500 to $2,900 or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Your room is about the same size as mine. I went with the Sony HS-20 and am using a 106" Draper screen. The Sony can hook up anything from composite, S-Video, Component, DVI and HDMI. HD looks fantastic with it. The salesman who sold me mine is using one with a 133" screen. The Sony is a LCD projector. And in it's price range it's hard to beat for performance. I'm very happy with it. I got the projector, screen and ceiling mount for just under $3000.

Here's a link for a review from ProjectorCentral

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony_hs20.htm

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
There are currently 3 LCD projectors that are the "HOT" picks right now in your price range.

Panasonic AE500
Sanyo Z2
Sony HS20

If you are willing to spend a little more on the projector I'd recommend taking a look at the BENQ8710 (DLP).

All these projectors have your standard inputs
Composite
S-VID
Component
VGA
DVI

If you are hooking up various sources that share the same connection, you will need a video switcher of sorts ... whether you leave your receiver to do this duty or you buy a separate switcher like the Audio Authority 1154.

For your Screen, you can save quite a bit by building the screen yourself. There are many different methods for a fixed screen design, with the most popular being a parkland plastics design or a black-out cloth design.

Head on over to the AVS forum in the display section. There is a wealth of information on building screen there.

Good luck!

SurfHB

Grip
Thanks for the advice guys. You now at least have me headed in a direction to start. Thanks again!

Kevin.W.H

Auditioning
Hey Darryl,

Where did you buy your equipment?

I was looking for a very similar setup.

Thanks.

KWH

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
If you want your screen size to be, say 100", do you have to position the projector at the exact distance from the screen in order for the projection to be that size, or can you vary the picture size by adjusting the projector? I'm asking because I'm considering going with one of the models listed above, but I'm still designing the room it will go in.

Also, how much light is too much-- I don't expect to have the lights blazing, but we don't usually watch in total darkness. The Z2 reviews seem favorable on this, but I'm curious about others' experiences.

Which of the three models mentioned above would be best for viewing with dimmed lights as opposed to total darkness?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Each of these projectors has a zoom function. The projection calculators at projector central will help illustrate this.

SurfHB

Grip
Alright guys....I went to some stores today to look at projectors. One store is trying to sell me the Optoma EP755 for $2500. They did not have them on display there. I came home to find out on the net what I could about them. I found prices from $1614.00 at PCnation.com on up to $2099.00 at Staples?????? It appears this was a pretty good projector....but think this projector is a few years old...am I correct? If this is the case, I don't want it. I want up to date stuff. For the same price I can go with another model. Anyone have any input on this projector? Thanks

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If you watch a lot of widescreen material then the 16x9 projectors like the HS20 will be beneficial as would the added resolution for your larger screen. These specs are for a business-type projector for presentations, bright but a lower contrast ratio than is possible in many of the more recent projectors.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Kevin.W.H, sorry to take so long to respond to your post. I just happened to notice this tread this morning.

I bought my Sony from a local dealer who really wanted my business. I told him I could get a HS-20 from Oades Brothers for $2795 shipped. He sold me the projector for less than that including tax. I'm pretty happy with the price. I bought the screen and ceiling mount from RitzAv.

http://www.ritzav.com/index.html

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
Jon,

I watch my Z2 with lights on AND only using the 1/2 lamp setting without any problems, I still get a great picture. Artifical light isn't want kills you most of the time, its natural Daylight that hurts.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I just checked the Ritz A/V site via the link that Darrel provided. Seems that they are out of stock for the HS20 and won't have any for a few months. Bummer! I'll have to look elsewhere for a decent price.

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
DuWayne-- thanks for your post. How big is your room/ screen? How far away from the screen do you have the Z2?

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Frank, If your willing to spend $2999. You can go to google and search for retailers and call until you find a dealer with some units left. Oades Brothers has alway quoted me the lowest price on equipment they carry. But, like most may not have any instock at this time.

http://www.oade.com/index.html

This is a very hot item in the HT market. And most stores can't keep them in long. The store I bought mine from has had well over 20 unit in since I purchased mine and they are gone as soon as they come in. The salesman had to return his personal HS-20. So a customer could get one installed without waiting a few weeks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks