My Completed Home Theater Project... (pic's)

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi
Well it took almost 6 months of evenings and weekends to complete this project. I would come home after work and put in about 2 hrs a night. I had to re-do all the electrical, heating and plumbing to open up this room for the home theater.

The furnace and hot water tanks had to be removed and relocated. I replaced them with new hi-efficiency units which are smaller and quieter. The heating ducts had to be relocated as well especially since I didn't want a low ceiling height. The best I could do was put the ducts on either side of the room and raise the center of the ceiling. All the walls are insulated with sound proof batting and acoustic tiles were used for the ceiling. It's amazing how it sounds like a club in the basement and you can barely hear it on the main floor.

Two large french doors on either side open up the room when not in use. All stereo components are housed in a separate closet and only the center channel speaker is visible. Everything including the lighting is operated via a single RF remote control. I built a channel between the screen and the speakers to allow for black velvet drapes which are hidden when open.

After a lot of research, I went with a Da-Lite Cinema Contour high contrast screen. It's exactly 8 ft wide (110") with a black velvet frame. My projector is a Sony VPL-VW50, the new 1080p model which retails at about $6000 and provides an unbelieveable picture with the new HD-A2 hi-def player. Even at 18ft away, it almost looks like a nice bright TV screen, not a washed out projector image. It's actually funny to see the expression on people's face when they see the image...it's jaw dropping great! Not to mention the amazing sound...true dolby 5.1 digital.

As you can see, this room came a long way...

HERE ARE SOME ACTUAL SCREEN SHOTS...
These pics were taken with a digital camera about 18ft away from the screen! The pics have not been edited in any way. The color, contrast and clarity is amazing.

mrjvelazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joseph
everything looks great, real real nice job,great colors, some day i'll have a dedicated HT room,
what size is the room? and what type of seating are you doing, 1 or 2 rows?

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi

The room is approx. 16x24ft. I am doing only one row of 4 seats.

sparty02

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
great theater, looks awesome! Just wondering what you thought of the 1080p projector and if its worth the extra money instead of buying a 720p and how they compare.

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi

I can't say enough good things about this projector. I did a lot of research on 1080p projectors within $10K and this model ranks among the top 5. There's a couple of indepth reviews online. I also looked at the Sony VPL-VW100 which is over $10K but it is difficult to justify the price difference when you look at the picture they both display. You can't beat beat the VW50 for what it has to offer. It was easy to setup and all functions power including lens shift and focus are done via remote. Also has 2 HDMI inputs among other features.

If you plan on getting a HD DVD player, you will see the results. If however you plan on using it for satellite or regular DVD's the difference between 780p and 1080p may not be that apparent. Obviously your source has a lot to do with the picture quality. There's no doubt you'll pay more for the 1080p but it's definitely worth it!

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi

I plan on putting the seats at approx. 18ft away from the screen. This should also give me about a 6ft distance from the rear wall and enough clearance to swing open the rear doors.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Very well done! and I'm sure very fulfilling. As I always say, "Make sure you find time to enjoy it!"

David

Doug65

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
sweet!! i wan't to be you when i grow up....what i want to know is how did
you convince your wife to let you go ahead with such a large investment.Im still trying.

ScottBA

Agent
That looks really nice.

I'm in the midst of getting my home theater finished and ours looks kinda close.

Great job on this. Ain't it worth it?

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi

The trick is to do it in stages! Obviously I didn't have the cash to go out and buy everything in a day, or hire a contractor to build the basement right away. I told her from day one that I'm putting in the time & effort to build the basement myself and the only thing I had done was the carpeting. I made it clear that what I save in contractor costs will be put towards my equipment.

I got what I wanted (My HT room) and she got what she wanted (Work out room, guest room and more storage space.) She was okay with that and even paid for my custom ordered HT seats!
We now have a great basement and she's proud of the work I put into it. She's always showing off the basement when her friends are over...

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi

Benjamin Moore HC-85. I painted my basement different shades of taupe and this is a beautiful color especially for the HT room.

ScottBA

Agent
How did u get your digital pics of what's on screen to come out so nicely? I've taken pics & they've come out horrible. Wrong settings I'm guessing...

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi

First PAUSE the onscreen video to prevent motion blurr.
Secondly hold your camera VERY still or use a tripod stand.
You will have to play with the shutter settings on your camera to get an ideal picture, or set it to night mode...

I used a digital SLR - Nikon D70 with high-end ED series lens so that may have something to do with it.
My compact Canon S80 wouldn't produce near the results...

ScottBA

Agent
Thx for the reply

I have a Nikon Coolpix and it prolly can't produce near what you took, so I won't even try, especially after reading that you used an SLR.

My on-screen HD pic is absolutely stunning as well, but I can't share any images

I have the new Mitsu HC5000 and it's a very nice projector.

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi

Thanks! With the ducting in the way all I could fit was 3" recessed halogen lights. A nice trick with the lighting is a simple Lutron dimmer switch from home depot. The lights come on and off slowly just like in a real theater and with a remote control. You can then use a programmable remote control such as the Logitec Harmony to control all your AV equipment and lighting without spending $1000's!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatimabtneha