What's new

Upgrading my projector - - been out of the "game" a while. Would love advice! (1 Viewer)

Darth Choke

Auditioning
Real Name
John
[COLOR= black]Hi there guys (gals too).[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]So for most of you, answering one more newbie question like "what projector should I get" is freaking annoying. I can understand that completely. I would really like some advice so let me tell you a little about me and what I am looking for.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]If this is not appropriate here, I apologize and feel free to move to the newbie forum.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]I'm not rich. I try to buy the best I can afford and get the best bang for the buck. That is why, about 6 years ago, I bought the InFocus 4805. It has served me well and darnit, I'm still using it with the ORIGINAL bulb! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Hubby needs an upgrade though. My budget is less than most for this. I need to be no more than $2300 and if I can get in under 2K - outstanding![/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]I know asking "What's best?" It is pointless. I Googled "best 1080p projector". Not ONE website agreed on anything. I can't rent 7-8 and take'em home to find out. I need guidance. If not an exact answer, maybe someone could point me to a website that is the most trusted/respected that does give a definitive answer.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]What I have:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]I have 8 ft ceilings. I'll be sitting 17 feet away. Room is 80/85% light controlled and I almost always watch movies at night anyway. No tv watching. Video games and movies only. BluRay and DVD. Plan on mounting on ceiling. I have a Da-lite Model B with CSR screen.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]What I want:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Minimal noise. DLP? LCD? I don't think I care...(I think). I do not notice Rainbow effect too much in the 4805...verrrrrry rarely. SDE concerns me. But maybe not a big deal at 15+ feet away?? Need something that does WELL in medium light. (it is darker than it is light if that makes sense) It would be nice to have lights on 18-20 feet away while maintaining a great picture. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Do I want 1080p????[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Here is the thing. If I was buying a tv, Hands down- YES! Its so clear and perfect. But...[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]How clear can a 1080p be[/COLOR][COLOR= black]when it is projected onto a piece of fabric? I truly do not know. I want size over crystal clear, "it looks like I am looking through a window"-view. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]720p vs. 1080p on a tv is noticeable difference. What about on a 2K or less 720p vs. 1080p projector?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Okay. I’ll leave it at that for now. Hopefully that gives you an idea about “me”.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Thank you in advance!![/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]DC[/COLOR]

Darth Choke

Auditioning
Real Name
John
ha! Well, after doing some reading let's throw LCoS into the mix too!!

Man! I have been out of it a long time!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
First off, I recommend a 1080p projector, and you might as well stick with DLP. NO, you cannot have lights on and still have a "great picture". You should know this from experience. But you can have lights dimmed down, especially if they're ceiling can lights.

Will a 1080p projector with a 100" screen look as clear and sharp as a 50" plasma? Of course not, it's 4 times the size. But it will look damn good. You'll be shocked at the improvement from your 480p, 4805 projector. I don't think your budget can handle LCos. I recommend the new Mits. HC4000, 1080p DLP projector. BUT it depends on your throw distance and screen size. I have the previous model, the HC3800 and it's a great projector. The HC4000 is even better. Check out the reviews at Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
If you will consider lightly used- you can easily swing an excellent LCoS 1080p projector. The new model JVCs are shipping so the videophiles that need to have the latest and greatest are off loading their previous state of the art purchases cheap.

My first two pj's were DLP, my last two have been 1080p LCoS. I feel no pull whatsoever to go back to DLP.

If you do want new and want to stay with DLP, the Mits would probably be a good choice.

I would echo the advice to definitely go 1080p now and also check out projectorreviews.com. Art does a very good job of assessing each pjs relative merits.

Darth Choke

Auditioning
Real Name
John
thanks for the advice, I did some extensive reading at projectorreviews and projectorcentral.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Darth, have you made a projector choice yet? If you want LCD, the Epson 8350 is highly recommended and about $1200, like the Mits. HC3800. There are a couple better choices, but you'd have to jump to about $2,000. The Epson 8500 and Panasonic AE4000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Choke

thanks for the advice, I did some extensive reading at projectorreviews and projectorcentral.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

If you will consider lightly used- you can easily swing an excellent LCoS 1080p projector. The new model JVCs are shipping so the videophiles that need to have the latest and greatest are off loading their previous state of the art purchases cheap.

My first two pj's were DLP, my last two have been 1080p LCoS. I feel no pull whatsoever to go back to DLP.

If you do want new and want to stay with DLP, the Mits would probably be a good choice.

I would echo the advice to definitely go 1080p now and also check out projectorreviews.com. Art does a very good job of assessing each pjs relative merits.

^

Agreed! No going back to LCD or DLP for me. LCOS is the closest to CRT. Very natural image that is engaging without looking harsh or unnatural. Best of luck!

Darth Choke

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I could not pass up such a great deal as the BenQ W6000 for only $1499. I think I'll be real happy with the result - especially considering I've been using just a infocus 4805 up until now !

Originally Posted by Jim Mcc

[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks