What's new

College Student in need of advice... (1 Viewer)

Anthony_L

Auditioning
It has been a while since I have posted here, mainly due to my home theater not going anywhere. =) I am back, and now I have a two simple questions...
1. How many lumens in enough? I see LCD projectors with lumens at about 300, but is that enough for a non-completely dark room? What should I be looking for?
2. Being a college student I don't save a lot, but this is something I have always wanted. I have the audio setup perfect, now all I need is the LCD or CRT projector and screen. Does anyone have any experience buying projectors from EBAY? It seems as that I cannot afford a new projector, and that is the only alternative...
Just looking for some friendly advice, thanks for your help!
Anthony Longo

TimG

Second Unit
If you are not going to have total light control in the room I would suggest you go with an LCD or DLP projector. It would also be easier to move if the need arose. (I moved 4 times in 5 years in college.) :) I don't know that I would go the E-Bay route personally, but then I am not much of a gambler either. Check the avscience board,http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi under DLP, LCD projectors and check the classifieds there also. There is also http://www.projectorcentral.com that sells used projectors. There is a thread a few down from this one that talks about them. Hope this helps, and good luck.
Tim

Anthony_L

Auditioning
I guess my biggest concern is not knowing what I am looking for in a projector. I see all these different specs and do not know what I want? What resolution, brightness, etc... Are there any faq's on this? Can someone tell me what is better then what :)
Thanks again
Anthony

Anthony_L

Auditioning
Honestly I don't want to spend more then 1500-2k :) I figure I can get something decent for now until one day when I can spend 30k on a projector.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...cfm?part_id=68
This place has this projector
(Electrohome EPS1024) for $1750 used... Is that something that will at least give me a nice enough picture in a dark but not pitch black basement? This has 700 lumens, but is that enough in a partially lit room?
Anthony

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Anthony,
While I cannot refer to you a better deal right off hand, I have to say you could probably do better. I'm certain I have seen 1000lumens and better native resolution for around the same cost. Keep and eye on the classifieds here and at the avs forum. If I run into anything I'll be sure to let you know. Good Luck.
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks