What's new

Coaxial cable help please DVD to A/V Receiver (1 Viewer)

BarbaraN

Grip
I want to connect my DVD player to my Panny XR25 A/V Receiver via coaxial cable. I'm a bit confused. What do I need to buy? From what I've read, some people recommend regular RCA cable (audio or video), others digital coaxial cable, some specify digital audio coaxial cable. I went to radio shack and the salesperson suggested their PCM digital audio cable which doesn't seem right to me. Cost of this cable was 8.99 for three feet and 13.99 for 6 feet. Would appreciate advice and recommendations. Thanks a lot.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The people who wrote the spec for that connection had a video cable in mind. (A 75 ohm coaxial cable - all video cables are made with 75 ohm coax.) Audio cables CAN be made with 75 ohm coax, but more often they are made with 50 ohm coax. A audio cable will appear to work, but the sound can drop-out every few minutes.

The radio Shack cheepie should be fine. Digital signals are way less sensitive to the cable than analog.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Bob. The 3 or 6 ft. cheapie from RS (and it's even labled "PCM Digital Audio", which is marketing speak for "75 Ohms") will be fine. Any 75 Ohm cable will do (i.e. any RCA video cable), but 13.99 for 6 ft. is a pretty good price for RS.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
For digital audio, any std video cable will work fine. 13.99 is way too high IMO for 6 feet, you should be able to find something suitable for $3-5. Don't pay the $10 premium just for them to print "digital audio" on the package.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks