What's new

CITIZEN KANE tops new BBC critics poll of 100 Best American Movies (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Vic Pardo said:
The Academy membership, apparently, includes way more fanboys than critics. :P

I guess that goes for the American Film Institute too.....right?

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Edwin-S said:
I guess that goes for the American Film Institute too.....right?

If it's the same AFI that just gave a Life Achievement Award to Steve Martin, then yeah!

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I know I am in the minority, but I will completely discount any list that thinks Citizen Kane is a good movie, Anytime someone mentions CK as being a good movie, I think they are pulling my leg.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Vic Pardo said:
If it's the same AFI that just gave a Life Achievement Award to Steve Martin, then yeah!

While I'm no particular fan of Steve Martin or his work, I don't see why he wouldn't be deserving of a lifetime achievement award. He has been in show business for a long time and has had a successful career that most show business professionals and wannabes would "kill" for.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Scott-S said:
I know I am in the minority, but I will completely discount any list that thinks Citizen Kane is a good movie, Anytime someone mentions CK as being a good movie, I think they are pulling my leg.

I discount your discount.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
While I'm no particular fan of Steve Martin or his work, I don't see why he wouldn't be deserving of a lifetime achievement award. He has been in show business for a long time and has had a successful career that most show business professionals and wannabes would "kill" for.
The only reason I would question it is because the AFI should be giving awards based primarily on people's work in film. Martin's movie career isn't terrible or anything but I don't think it's worthy of a life achievement award either. Now for his entire body of work in comedy, he's a legitimate living legend whose influence on virtually every modern comedian is massive and is well deserving of a lifetime achievement award.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I also was puzzled about Steve Martin getting the AFI award and i do think of him as a funny actor and he's made a few good movies but still i think others should have gotten the award. Also the shows have gone way down in quality with Robert De Niro's potty mouth speach a few years ago and a lack of "class" in the way the shows are presented.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks