What's new

Circuit City closing all stores -- watch for bargains coming soon (1 Viewer)

AshishNJ

Agent
Real Name
ASHISH BHARDWAJ
Matter of fact, I have liked PC Richards more than BBuy. I went on buying an xbox360 with forza during xmas and looked all over. BBuy stores in 20 mile radius had NONE. To my surprise PC Richards had 10 in stock
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
. I guess they need to advertise better

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Hmmm, you may want to check the "King Kong" and "Serenity" threads over on the HD Software Forums.

BB shipped maybe 2 pcs each per store of these "advertised" titles.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
No, we don't. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time understanding the discussion.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
Verdict on price matching:

It's good for ME.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
As with 99.999 percent of all Americans, that is what truly matters to me.

Good for stores?

Don't know, don't care. Couldn't care less. In that Star Trek Mirror Universe, my evil twin would be absolutely obsessed with whether price matching is a good policy for retail establishments. It would CONSUME HIS VERY BEING.

troy evans

Screenwriter
We'll, the CC going out of business really shouldn't surprise anyone. They gave up years ago as far as customer service in my opinion. I truely knew the writing was on the wall when I saw lawn chairs for seating in the home theater room of my local store. That's just piss poor and lame. The lesson to be learned here is, customer service must be a priority or don't expect to be in business long. I whole heartedly believe it comes down to that simple fact.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
DaveB, thanks for the commercial back in the 90s, I remember when an aunt of my wife bought a new computer in the earliy 90s and the one thing we were concerned about was the store staying opened 5 years later from the date she bought the computer. I got my HK receiver from them and it really is sad that all those people are out of work.

By the by heard on the news today Best Buy is cutting personnel as well.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Part of me is upset about Circuit City closing, as they are the dominant retailer in my area. The closest electronics store to me is a CC.

The other part is quite happy as, their customer service is downright evil.

They have the corporate policy of double teaming customers to bully them into buying extended warranties. A second sales associate always magically appears at checkout to tell the customer how they NEED to get the warranty, and whatever they buy is going to break very easily. Even if the person is clearly not interested, they press, and press, and press, and if they don't take it, are extremely rude.

It happened to me with the last three major items I've bought. One of the things I bought came with a mail in rebate. When I didn't take the warranty, and the sales guy was giving me the rebate information, I heard the other sales guy tell him "Why are you giving him that?" (I now go to Best Buy for major items).

I was just in there looking at DVDs a few weeks ago and saw two sales associates bullying a single older woman into buying it.

A company that cares more about selling warranties ("pure profit" as corporate calls it) rather than selling merchandise deserves to fail.

I'm sorry, but I'm glad some of these sales people are losing their jobs.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Well, considering how many times you've contradicted yourself (which may explain your apparent inability to answer my simple question about why you think the way you claim to), can you blame me?

Walmart's pricing policy (you know, the one that includes price-matching) -- GOOD for business, or BAD for business? And WHY?

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I've had problems finding sale items in Best Buy on many occasions. Since getting my first Blu-ray player a few weeks ago I have gone into Best Buy Buy near work to pick up a few of the catalog BD titles that are on sale only to find the ones I want are gone by Tuesday. I have encountered out of stock sale items time and time again over the years but that's just a recent example. It's really frustrating when something I want goes on sale and it's gone by the time I get there on Sunday. Of course Circuit City is guilty of the same thing as well.

I never had experiences that were too horrible in any of the Circuit City stores that I have shopped at. My biggest complaint is that they tried too hard to mimic Best Buy the past few years. All of the stores in my area were either remodeled to look more like Best Buy (in red) or were new stores that had that look from the get go. I still miss the Circuit City that had employees that knew what they were talking about and had the sound rooms to play with equipment before I plunked down my hard earned money. When Best Buy first came to my area (around 1996 I think), the employees never really knew much about what they were selling so I never expected the same level of service that I used to get at Circuit City. It's a shame they felt the need to fire all of their higher paid employees a couple of years ago. I think that's another thing that killed them.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I already answered this question sufficiently, if you really care to know my perspective.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

All you wrote was something about a business crafting its own policy instead of having it dictated by competitors. That read to me like you considered it to be a good thing. Until I pointed out that it included price matching. So did I misunderstand that comment? You were saying that it was a bad policy that Walmart was crafting for itself?

Or is your perspective that price-matching is bad for business except when Walmart does it?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
And I'm sorry you're unable or unwilling to back up what you wrote, but thanks for the laugh!

I guess this thread can get back on topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks