What's new

Circuit City closing all stores -- watch for bargains coming soon (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

And looks how Walmart has flourished with this strategy! That's why Walmart, with VERY few exceptions, advertises a price in their ads (and why they run very few Sunday circulars). Go to a Walmart that has little competition and check the prices on a few items, then check a store that has LOTS of competition near it; the second store will have the lower prices.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
And what you're seeing is a business crafting its own pricing policy instead of having it dictated onto them by a competitor.

mylan

Screenwriter

Kidding or not, I agree 100%. I know I need to let it go but I cannot get over the clusterf**k that was DIVX..

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Actually, I think that is an easy one.

As the DIVX debacle made clear, CC did not, and apparently does not, understand their customers. You can't stay in business long if you don't understand the market.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I was shopping in two CC stores yesterday, looking for a wireless router. The discounts varied between the two stores. For example, Game Accessories at Newport Beach were 30%, while Huntington Beach was only 10%.

Anyway, I ended up going to Fry's and paying nearly HALF of what CC's "Going Out Of Business" price was for the same model.

If you can't even come close to the competition's pricing during a liquidation sale, something is definitely wrong.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I was there today. Its still 10% here. Things are flying out the door people are just plain dumb. There are no deals there yet.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

You do realize that Walmart's pricing policy includes price-matching, right?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The individual CC stores (and website inventory) were split up amongst a few different liquidators. The Newport and Huntington stores are probably owned and operated by different companies now, so they don't have any connection in terms of pricing or policies.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The one good thing we can say regarding DIVX is that we told you so, general population: WE...told...you...so.....:laugh: (Captain Kirk Style)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Actually the liquidators are very smart. They know that there are unsavvy customers out there who will grab up stuff marked 10-20% off retail and think they are getting a bargain. Once they have milked that crowd, they will start some serious liquidation. Can you blame them? Their job is to get the most $ possible out of the merchandise.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I just got a Sony boombox that usually sells @ $85 + shipping for $53 shipped. I'm happy with that. The thing works better than expected. Not easy to get a good one in that price range so using CC was a no-brainer here. Now, I would not buy a high end item from them. No way! I'd rather pay more in a store NOT going out of business.

j0sh818

Grip
Real Name
Joshua
Hi!

I just received a mail from CC regarding a warranty extension offer for the HDTV I bought from them last year. What should I do?

Since they are going out of business, should I still buy extended warranty from them?

Advice is really appreciated.

Thank you!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Call the warranty company and ask them what the service procedure will be. They're a separate company that sells warranties through CC.

Dan1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Best Buy was always better run than Circuit City. CCity would advertise DVDs in their Sunday flier and by Monday they'd be sold out. BBuy at least stocked enough to last the week in most cases. Little like that add up after a while in consumers' minds.

CCity shot itself in the foot when it fired much of it's sales force and replaced them with lower paid employees. They were awful. They practically hid out and talked to each other all day. If you were lucky enough to get their attention you could tell that they were annoyed that you were interrupting their conversation.

It's bad for consumers that BBuy is the only national electronics chain left standing. Here in the NYC/NJ area we have a regional chain called PC Richards that has out-lived all of it's long-gone local competitors like Crazy Eddie, Newmark & Lewis and The Wiz. CCity's collapse could be an opening for some regional chain to expand outside of it's area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks