What's new

Cinepro vs. Bryston (1 Viewer)

John Doran

Screenwriter
i'm currently trying to decide which route to go:

1) cinepro 3k6 SE III Gold

2) 3 bryston 14B ST's

which option do you think will yield the best (i.e. most appreciable) sonic results?

i'm in canada, and the currency exchange is killing me, so, although the cinepro lists at $7500 USD, that translates into an easy $11,000 CDN, and more, with the inevitable 15% tax up here.

the 14B, however, goes for $7,000 CDN retail, so i could probably get 2 of them for roughly the same as 1 Cinepro. The third would come later (I don't even have 6 speakers, anyway).

In the meantime, I would use my Denon 5800 to drive the center channel.

there's just so little information that i can find on the technical spec's for the bryston, and very few reviews that seem satisfying to me - as satisfying (convincing) as the reviews i've read for the cinepro, anyway. although i would be easily able to audition the bryston at a store nearby, i am obviously unable to listen to the cinepro. so direct (subjective) comparison is out.

and the S/N of the 14B is only 114db, while it's 124db on the cinepro...

anyway, i'd really appreciate some input on this...

thanks a lot.

John Doran

Screenwriter
thanks for the reply, anthony.

a question, though: if cinepro amps are better than bryston, then shouldn't i just go with cinepro?

all i am concerned with, after all, is quality of amplification.

i guess i'm just not sure why 3 brystons would make you change your mind: if 1 bryston's not as good as a cinepro, presumably 3 brystons would also be no better (maybe worse, given the expense).

as for needing something like a 14B for my surrounds - you're right, of course, i certainly don't NEED that kind of power. it just makes me feel good having it...

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Cinepro better than Bryston? Give me a break! Different -yes, better - no. You're talking about two superb amp manufacturers, both who cater to the professional as well as consumer markets. Bryston is associated more with high-end audio whereas Cinepro is more home theater oriented. Both are built like tanks, Bryston's got that legendary 20 yr warranty. When you're talking about amps at this level, it comes down to personal preferences as they do have their own sonic characteristics. I don't think anyone can say one is definitely better than the other. Since you're looking at amps at this price point, you should also look at Classe, also very well regarded in the high-end audio market. It should be easy to find one to audition as they are made in Canada. Good Luck.

John Doran

Screenwriter
anthony,

i'm afraid it doesn't matter where i buy the cinepro, whether in canada by mail, or in the u.s., since i'd have to do the currency exchange either way - at about $1.50 canadian for every $1.00 u.s. which makes the cinepro an $11250 CDN proposition before tax, and about $13000 after.

i'm fairly confident i could get 2 bryston 14B's for that. one of the benefits of which, to me, is not having to pay, basically, twice the sticker price for absolutely nothing. like currency exchange.

gordon,

thanks for the input.

i did some looking at classe amps, but they're at least 50% more: the classe ca-401 (400w dual mono) retails for $10500 CDN. and that's more than i'd like to pay.

and you're probably right about comparing the two companies. it's just that it seems to me that bryston's site is a little short on the gory technical details, whereas cinepro is really big on technical spec's and how innovative their amps are.

the net effect of the difference is simply to give me the feeling that bryston amps are more, i don't know, ordinary or something.

and it's just a feeling. which is why i was hoping to find out some more info on the bryston's spec's and build compared to the cinepro.

goes to show you the power of (a lack of) good marketing...

John Doran

Screenwriter
c'mon, guys....

there's a wealth of intelligent and articulate participants in this forum with an enormous amount of HT and related audio experience...

please don't let this be the only question to which you don't respond.

i could really use your opinions.

thanks.

Jack Smith

Agent
John D...

I'm no expert, but I do own the Cinepro 3k6SEI (375x6), which I use (bridged) to power my three front speakers which are bi-wired, and a Cinepro 2k5II to power my 4 rear surround speakers, with my Denon 5800 as the pre-pro. The Cinepro's are great! I love em'. Before I purchased the 2k5II, I was using my Denon to power the 4 surrounds, and the Denon is no slouch, but now there is a world of difference. Furthermore, I purchased both my cinepro's as closeout specials on their web site. You should investigate this as a money saving option, in fact, my 3kSEI belonged to cinepro's president Eric Abraham. All the closeouts are upgraded to today's current spec's, and are excellent bargains. And you will save in the thousands! Cinepro also has a great service department and if you have a question, Eric is available to speak with you or guide you through the spl setup thingy. Go for it, man. It's great, you can't lose.

MY GEAR:

-CINEPRO 3K6SEI

-CINEPRO 2K5II

-SAMSON SUB AMP

-DENON 5800

-SONY S7700 DVD PLAYER

-PIONEER 606 LD PLAYER

-PROSCAN 60-INCH RPTV

-JVS S-VHS

-DIRECTV/MICROSOFT DIGITAL DISH

-KLIPSCH RF-7'S

-KLIPSCH RC-7

-KLIPSCH RS-7'S

-KLIPSCH RF-3'S (PAIR FOR CENTER SURROUNDS)

-SVS 16/46 SUBS (PAIR)

-MONSTER Z-2 SPEAKER CABLES

-MONSTER Z & M SERIES INTERCONNECTS

-BOLTZ RACK

LIFE IS GOOD...WE ARE THE BORG...

brucek

Second Unit
john,

I guess I don't see what type of information you want from the Bryston web site. They provide all the specifications that really matter and then back their products with an unlimited 20 year warrantee.

Customer service is the best of any company I've ever seen. If you have a problem, they'll be on you like flys on honey until you're satisfied.

The factory is very close to you so you don't have any shipping or USA exchange problems.

Just about every studio uses their products.

Every product is hand made and tested for over 100 hours before each is then checked to ensure it meets the stated specifications. The actual specs for your amp are included in the box. The actual specs always beat the advertised specs.

Bryston is so particular, that they hand rotate every toroidal transformer in every amplifier to find its optimum position before its bolted down.

114db SNR is not good enough? - hook a Bryston amp up to a set of speakers and listen - it's like a black hole.

The 14BST has a THD of

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I have had both the Cinepro 12KSE and the Bryston 4B-ST in my system. They are both very well built, good sounding amps. I could have been happy with either one and you will be as well. I decided to keep the Cinepro for a couple of reasons. I sounded a little more open and airy than the Bryston. It also has fans to keep it cool and this worked better for me in my installation. Your opinions and others may vary but for me I preferred the Cinepro. I also bought an amp that was used for one week during an audio show and picked it up for a very good price directly from Cinepro. I used the amps with a Pioneer receiver as the prepro and using Diva 6.1's as my mains. Both company's offer great customer service and I know this will not help you make your decision, but either way you go you will be very, very happy. So toss a coin, roll the dice, whatever, and pick one so you can start enjoying music and HT with some awesome amps.

Mike

John Doran

Screenwriter
now that's the sort of help i was looking for.

thanks, guys...i really appreciate the input. really.

- jd

John Doran

Screenwriter
brucek,

by the way - where did you pick up your brystons? canadian sound is the nearest dealer to me that i know of.

i've had some not-so-good experiences with audio retailers, so i was hoping you might have some insight as to a place with really good service.

thanks.

brucek

Second Unit
john,

Sorry, I'm not familiar with any dealers in Toronto, although I would think you'd have lots to choose from there.

Maybe someone else from the Toronto area can chime in and help.

brucek

Graeme Shiomi

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Try Audio One (up on Steeles near HWY 400 I believe). Great bunch of guys up there. Decent listening rooms, and no pressure.

Graeme

Salvador

Second Unit
John, kennedy hifi is also a great place to check out for your brystons. It's along highway 7 and kennedy, from my experience they were gracious and good people to work with. They were very accomodating even though i only went there to get some speaker wires.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I had the older Bryston 4B THX and compared to a Cinepro 3K6III it was a little noisier(not noisy per se) and I think the Cinepro sounds better and has loads of headroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks