What's new

cinema rage (1 Viewer)

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
The worst movie watching experience i've ever had was during a showing of blade 2. I went with a couple friends and the theatre was packed, so we had to sit in the far back end of the theater, right in front of a drunken redneck. During the entire movie, he was making non sensical ramblings about, "Guhh, thus juss like n tha fried chikin. Gurrhh" or something along those lines. So finally, this drunk guy gets up to go some where, and a guy sitting next to us stands up and pulls the guy aside. His next comment had us laughing for five minutes, "(Starting of polietly) Excuse me sir, can i ask you something?" (The drunken guy mumbles something under his breath) " ...Would you SHUT THE HELL UP?!" (drunken guy burps and pushes the guy aside.) The drunken hick didnt come back after that.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Edwin, I understand your position, but you have to consider that, years ago, movie theaters were much quieter than they are now!

My best movie-going experience in a crowded theater was Das Boot, which I saw in Hong Kong. Dead silence throughout, no candy wrappers crinkling, nobody sucking an empty drink, etc. The theater I saw it in was a work of art...murals on the ceiling (probably 50-100 feet high...hard to tell when you're only 11 years old!), stone pillars, the works. Classy theater that had 4 screens!

All that rushing water in Das Boot had me running for the washrooms halfway through the movie. I remember it took me 2 minutes to (briskly) walk to the washroom, which was actually attached to the seating area! The theater is easily 3 times the size of today's googleplexes.

You could hear a pin drop during the quiet scenes before the depth charges go off...

I saw Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars in that theater too. Amazing. I would love to see a 70mm 2001 in that theater.

What was the population of Hong Kong back in 1981? 5 million? On an island, where the only habitable area is smaller than central Vancouver...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Today I saw "Spirited Away". Got a middle seat at the 2nd most back row. I thought I was going be nice and undisturbed as the theater had plenty of seats for the afternoon. No sooner than the 3rd trailer starts, a family of 5 shows up and takes up the rest of the row I'm sitting in on the right side, and the 3 small kids make various amounts of noise throughout the film. Almost immediately after the family sits down, the guy in the back row moves from behind the family of 5 and moves all the way to the left side on the back row, and then the couple in front of the family get up and move about 5 rows down to get away from the noise and kicking of the seats. I thought this was pretty amusing, but not worth the high cost in lowering of many people's enjoyment factor at the theater.

Sigh...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks