What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Bo Widerberg’s New Swedish Cinema (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
t3r0Q69reHZliqm1kbBdLS6LiAeGEX_large.jpg
Driven by a desire to forge a socially conscious Swedish cinema—one that broke with the inward-looking psychodrama of Ingmar Bergman to give dynamic expression to the everyday experiences of working-class Swedes—writer Bo Widerberg turned to filmmaking in the early 1960s, realizing his ambition in politically committed yet poetic works that merge social-realist themes with a refined, often breathtakingly beautiful visual sensibility. Dramatizing the struggles of ordinary people fighting to chart their own destiny, these four acclaimed, popular, and pivotal films from Widerberg’s most prolific period live and breathe with a rare vitality—and helped launch a new Swedish cinema.

FILM INFO​

• Spine #1189

FILMS IN THIS SET​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have the old Fox Lorber dvd release of Elvira Madigan which i purchased in 2001 so happy it's getting a Blu-ray release. Have not seen the other films so will check them out when my local library gets it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Elvira Madigan was very popular, aided and abetted by the lush cinematography and the use of Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 21. However, Raven's End and Adalen '31 are starker and more impactful dramas, perhaps because they're grounded on Widerberg's reality. Films not to be missed.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Elvira Madigan was very popular, aided and abetted by the lush cinematography and the use of Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 21. However, Raven's End and Adalen '31 are starker and more impactful dramas, perhaps because they're grounded on Widerberg's reality. Films not to be missed.
When I first came to NYC, the Bleecker Street Cinema used to show a double bill of Elvira Madigan and A Man and a Woman every Friday and Saturday night, filled with necking NYU students. Adalen '31 I saw at the NYFF, and was blown away by it. Adalen '31 combines the visual lyricism of Elvira Madigan with the stark, social realism of Raven's End. I thought it was extraordinary and look forward to seeing it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks